Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h run flat tyre

I'm guessing that currently Lexus is not fitting run flat on IS300h as standard? My question is, can it be done? Either by Lexus or by other tyre outfit? and would the car be able to monitor the run flat like BMWs do?

I used to have OEM run-flats on a BMW - I think the rims were designed differently to stop the tyre sliding off when deflated but I have also seen other info about run flats being ok for any rims so not sure. I would have though the TPMS would indicate when a puncture occurred ok though. Although there are obvious positives to run flat tyres the downside is that they have very stiff side walls (so they can run when flat) which can lead to a much harsher ride - cars designed with OEM run flats have this factor engineered into the suspension setup but even then a lot of people complain about the ride quality of BMWs on OEM run flats...

I believe - in fact I know - the IS300h can be fitted with runflats.   I once had an IS300h loaner when mine was being serviced, and, when asked if I had

liked the ride, was slightly embarrassed to discover I had been driving on 17" Bridgestone runflats (245/45 if I remember right), noticing no difference 

whatsoever in respect of my own normal 18" PZeros.  Admittedly, I had driven mainly in slow town traffic and quite good roads.  Maybe cobblestones

and higher speeds would have made more of a difference.   I must say that I toy with the idea of choosing runflats every time I buy new tyres, but have

so far always been put off by the prices.  

You can fit run flats on.

Dont know why you would though, it'd absolutely ruin the ride.

Unless of course you have the Bridgestone runflats which are supposed to be the best in the business for maintaining ride quality.