Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How often do you use "manual"?

The "manual" setting as most will know allows you to restrict the car to use lower gearing, ideal for controlling descent down hills etc. 

The lack of rolling resistance of the LS430 is fantastic, - the car just coasts forever.  I'm guess the amazing aerodynamics, weight of the car, air suspension and choice of tyres are the main reasons.

The downside of this though is stopping such a heavy car eats brakes.

For the first year of ownership I never used the manual shifter, just ignored it.  Lately I've found myself using the manual shift more and more often, - to save the brakes, and the brake dust (!)

Just ideally curious how often other's use theirs? 

Sorry to but-in to the LS section (2nd time this week!). I use the manual gear shift in my GS300 to save on brakes even though it's not as heavy a car as the LS. I alway ensure though that I touch the brake pedal lightly so that brake lights come on at the appropriate time so that drivers behind can see that I am slowing down.

Can't recall using it going downhill or felt I needed to,  but I do use 2nd up the slope to the Car ferry and 1st if on P&O Ferry up the side ramps which I find slightly daunting. I usually wait until the Car in front is leaving the ramp before starting.  Stuck on the ramp once with the W140 Merc which was loaded to the Gunwales. Prayed that the Handbrake held and that the weight pulling didn't cause the "P" position to be compromised.  

Have used manual on really long hills (such as the A39 between Porlock and Lynmouth), as you do get a bit of brake fade if you rely soley on brakes. 

I have to descend the W near Minchinhampton every day on the way home from work, and I do it with gusto most days, and my brakes are lasting way more than expected (though they do get blinking hot)

As said the LS range seems to have low rolling resistance, and I do find a lot of the time when 'coasting' you have to keep an eye on car in front as it seems the LS creeps up with ease.

• Like 1

I've used the downshift to fourth frequently since I've had my 400, I agree the car seems to want to launch itself forward , it must be a very slippery shape. Just recently I've started downshifting to third for sharp bends, I like the feel of the additional control

26 minutes ago, harrylime said:

it must be a very slippery shape.

have read it has drag coefficient of 0.28 or 0.29  which is better than 911 which is about 0.32

Explains why it has such good mpg.

I would think more modern cars are better as with computer CAD systems you can pre-model drag (etc) before you even cut the first bit of steel, where as the LS was being put together well before computers and computer software were up to the job they do today.

19 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

have read it has drag coefficient of 0.28 or 0.29  which is better than 911 which is about 0.32

Explains why it has such good mpg.

I would think more modern cars are better as with computer CAD systems you can pre-model drag (etc) before you even cut the first bit of steel, where as the LS was being put together well before computers and computer software were up to the job they do today.

Apparently the LS430 still has a lower DC than a 2018 Tesla!  I sometimes use my shifter to slow the car down approaching speed cameras etc rather than braking.

I use it frequently as when coasting downhill she has a tendency to increase speed, which is fine until you either hit the car in front or go over the speed limit in an average speed camera zone. I am a firm believer in using brakes only when needed and try to drive as smoothly as possible when I'm not blasting a twisty back-road 😎 

• 3 weeks later...

I have for what it's worth mainly driven automatic's apart from those occasions where I have owned ridiculously powerful motors and a manual box makes more sense , so even driving auto's these days I still use the manual side of the box for going into corners or slowing down regardless of whether i'm driving the RX or LS , as a one time major track day enthusiast I just feel (rightly or wrongly) it gives me a bit more control but maybe i'm just old school   

On 9/29/2018 at 7:56 PM, Gilbert Fudpucker said:

maybe i'm just old school   

As far as I know having using compression of the engine (by shifting up) does give you more control, though I never slam my LS about enough to need it, though in my days of owning SRi and such like was forever dropping into 3rd on corners at 70plus, to make sure if i needed to brake or slow, taking of the pedal to engage brake made a difference.

Not being an engine expert, I would have thought the V8 is low compression, so engine braking not the same as you get out of a 2litre tuned up hot hatch, but be interested to see what  experts on forum say.

I put it into 4 for around town as the box seems to hunt less and also use it for engine breaking at speed. 

I've really had to adjust my driving style to stay off the brakes. The throttle is much more sensitive than I initially thought and a bit of care with the right foot helps to keep the box in the right gear. 

5 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

As far as I know having using compression of the engine (by shifting up) does give you more control, though I never slam my LS about enough to need it, though in my days of owning SRi and such like was forever dropping into 3rd on corners at 70plus, to make sure if i needed to brake or slow, taking of the pedal to engage brake made a difference.

Not being an engine expert, I would have thought the V8 is low compression, so engine braking not the same as you get out of a 2litre tuned up hot hatch, but be interested to see what  experts on forum say.

The LS430 motor has a compression ratio of 10.5 to 1, so about the same as most naturally aspirated petrol engines.
Turbo/petrol tend to have a lower value (~9.5) and of course Diesels have much higher values (14+ for TDs and 20+ for NA).

If you drop enough gears in the LS you can get quite severe engine braking, but since it has a torque converter you will never get as much as with a manual or DSG style gearbox.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links