Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Gearbox Fluid Change

Hi all, 

Following on from my previous post - can a Toyota dealer change the auto box fluid?

I'm more than mechanically competent to change the fluid - warm gearbox over 10 miles, rest it for 5 mins, drain, measure fluid & refill etc but would like to ensure my new buy has it done 100% correctly for peace of mind.

Cheers in advance

They can, and will probably just use the method you describe, but that only replaces about 1/3 of the fluid as the rest will stay in the valve body and torque convertor. If the reason to change the fluid is because it is burnt then you need to repeat that method multiple times to dilute the old fluid out, or use an alternative method.

If you just want to change it because of age then just changing 1/3 every couple of years will keep on top of things.

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

They can, and will probably just use the method you describe, but that only replaces about 1/3 of the fluid as the rest will stay in the valve body and torque convertor. If the reason to change the fluid is because it is burnt then you need to repeat that method multiple times to dilute the old fluid out, or use an alternative method.

If you just want to change it because of age then just changing 1/3 every couple of years will keep on top of things.

Thanks Colin, it would be purely a precaution change and you're right it would be a "blend" change to freshen it up.

So is it only Toyota Type T-IV fluid or is there another suitable alternative fluid you can recommend?

Cheers

Hi Colin,

Thanks again for that. Did some research and found that all but the CVT auto transmissions in a Lexus are made by Aisin SW in Japan. Further digging revealed that Mobil supplied Aisin SW with Mobil ATF 3309 so your thoughts in my mind are confirmed. I will search for suppliers of either but strongly feel that Toyota T-IV and Mobil ATF 3309 are one and the same.

Thanks again 

18 minutes ago, Frosties said:

Did some research and found that all but the CVT auto transmissions in a Lexus are made by Aisin SW in Japan.

The CVTs are too. Aisin is a Toyota company, founded by the same person that founded Toyota. A somewhat similar story to Denso who Toyota also own.

The Mobil fluid is probably a bit cheaper, but they are both expensive. If you are going to get Toyota to change the fluid then they would have easier access to T-IV as it is used on older Landcruiser models etc.

• Like 1

Not heard of this. I take it the RX300's have a torque converter auto box and not CVT. I have torque convertor auto box on my 2007 GS300 and my indie has never changed the gearbox fluid. It's done 68K miles. Do many of the forum members have theirs changed and if so at what mileage? Thanks.

2 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Not heard of this. I take it the RX300's have a torque converter auto box and not CVT. I have torque convertor auto box on my 2007 GS300 and my indie has never changed the gearbox fluid. It's done 68K miles. Do many of the forum members have theirs changed and if so at what mileage? Thanks.

Yes they do. Technically Lexus state it lasts a lifetime but probably best to drain/replace every couple of years once the vehicle is 8 to 10 years old, or at 80k miles.

21 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Yes they do. Technically Lexus state it lasts a lifetime but probably best to drain/replace every couple of years once the vehicle is 8 to 10 years old, or at 80k miles.

Colin, thanks for the prompt response. Is the 1/3 change every couple of years from now on (as you've mentioned earlier) sufficient or as the car is now 11 years old should I have the 1/3 done each time the car is serviced over the next 3 years? Thanks.

Just found this transmission fluid made by Aisin.

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/1-litre-aisin-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid-premium-atf-6.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8O-rlJ7F3QIVhLHtCh0D9Qp1EAQYAyABEgLhufD_BwE   £12.78 with delivery. Spec says 1 Litre can of AISIN Premium ATF 6, suitable for all Automatic transmissions that take Dextron 11, Dextron 111 and Toyota T-1V (Type 4) grades, basically all except those that take the new WS (World Standard) fluid.
Always consult your handbook for correct application.

Seems to tie-up with earlier comments about Aisin making the gearboxes etc.  However my handbook for GS300 year 2007 says use ATF JWS3324 or NWS9638. Looking on Google WS seems to be different that T-IV.  Also an extract from the product details suitable for all except those that take the new WS (World Standard) fluid. Yet another advert from buycarparts.co.uk

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/lexus/gs-grs19-uzs19-gws19/18773/12093/automatic-transmission-fluid  It says Exceeds specifications:  Aisin Warner JWS3324, Ford Mercon LV/SP, GM Dextron VI, Honda ATF DW1, Hyundai/Kia SPIV, Mazda FZ, Mercedes MB 236.41, Nissan Matic K/S, Toyota/Lexus ATF WS

So I'm confused

I was thinking of buying it myself and getting my indie to drain off the 1/3rd and replace but want to be sure I'm buying the right thing. Anyone know? Thanks

• Like 1

I had my local indie garage who are also Lexus enthusiasts change the atf fluid in my 2005 GS300 last Saturday. I did a bit of research beforehand and the general opinion was to use genuine Toyota fluid which i bought from eBay. They could only get just under a litre back in but then started the car and went through all the gear options drive, reverse, neutral and then checked the levels again but it only took the total fill to just over a litre although the book says 1.5l. It has been running fine ever since and the gear change seems smoother unless its just my imagination. My car has done 70k and the fluid had never been changed since new to my knowledge. I also got them to change the diff oil at the same time. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Prius-Auris-Yaris-ATF-Fluid-Automatic-Transmission-1-Litre/112758271898?epid=651236881&hash=item1a40eaaf9a:g:WfgAAOSwJ71aXdkj

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2018 at 9:33 PM, ColinBarber said:

They're not lying about the fluid lasting the lifetime of the car, when that fluid's burnt up the car's done :D

I'd say 50k miles or so and don't use anything but the original specified fluid and a Toyota filter if the filter is replaceable. Toyotec did mine earlier in the year for a total of about £300. They showed me a jug full of the old liquid - it was dark brown and clearly used up.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 8:45 PM, JeffL said:

I was thinking of buying it myself and getting my indie to drain off the 1/3rd and replace but want to be sure I'm buying the right thing. Anyone know?

Yes - stick to the proper Toyota Type-IV. The fluid has various friction modifiers and other properties and the seals within the system are engineered to cope with that particular chemical makeup. It's not worth trying to save a few quid now and then possibly have a major tranny failure later.

When we bought our 2005 RX300 it had 79k miles on it and, as with every secondhand car I've ever bought, I changed all fluids as a matter of course. I intended to drop the pan from the transmission to install a new ATF strainer/filter so bought that as well as the gaskets etc.

I think the strainer and gasket set were about £80 if I remember right and I bought two 5L tubs of Toyota Type-IV ATF for £75.60 from my local Toyota main dealer (nearest Lexus dealer is about 30 miles away).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

Yes - stick to the proper Toyota Type-IV. The fluid has various friction modifiers and other properties and the seals within the system are engineered to cope with that particular chemical makeup. It's not worth trying to save a few quid now and then possibly have a major tranny failure later.

When we bought our 2005 RX300 it had 79k miles on it and, as with every secondhand car I've ever bought, I changed all fluids as a matter of course. I intended to drop the pan from the transmission to install a new ATF strainer/filter so bought that as well as the gaskets etc.

Hi Herbie, this obviously is a better bet than a blend change of say 1 -1.5 Ltr a time.

I'm fairly competent on most vehicles/bikes. Haven't had a look underneath yet nor can I find a Haynes manual fro the Rx 300.

Is it an easy enough job?

Any advice must appreciated fella. 

17 minutes ago, Frosties said:

Hi Herbie, this obviously is a better bet than a blend change of say 1 -1.5 Ltr a time.

I'm fairly competent on most vehicles/bikes. Haven't had a look underneath yet nor can I find a Haynes manual fro the Rx 300.

Any advice must appreciated fella.

If I were doing this myself I'd get the gearbox nice and hot first, drain and fill, then drive it 10 miles or so and do it again and replace the filter on the second fill.

1 hour ago, Frosties said:

I have to confess that although I fully intended to do the job myself, an injury prevented my use of the spanners so a mate of mine who is a mechanic of more than 30 years experience did it for me. It is an awkward job for a DIY or hobby mechanic but not impossible and for someone like my mate it was merely slightly annoying  😉

I'll PM you a copy of the workshop manual tomorrow but for now this may give you a bit of an insight: