Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Simple job changing the rear discs??

My 450h is in for its service today and the vehicle health check video flagged up what i suspected, which is that the rear pads and disc need replacing soon. Not quite an MOT fail but due. Quite happy to do this myself and avoid their labour charges bt wanted to see if, aprt from the slidepins, there are any problems doing it myself?

Has anybody had problems with any of the none OEM pads and discs? Eurocarparts are quoting me just over 100.00 all in for rear pads and discs, which makes this a nice cheap job. Just waiting for the quote from Lexus to come in!🤣🤣

35 minutes ago, TimS320 said:

My 450h is in for its service today and the vehicle health check video flagged up what i suspected, which is that the rear pads and disc need replacing soon. Not quite an MOT fail but due. Quite happy to do this myself and avoid their labour charges bt wanted to see if, aprt from the slidepins, there are any problems doing it myself?

Has anybody had problems with any of the none OEM pads and discs? Eurocarparts are quoting me just over 100.00 all in for rear pads and discs, which makes this a nice cheap job. Just waiting for the quote from Lexus to come in!🤣🤣

It is an easy DIY job. You may need rear parking brake shoes as well so it may be a good idea to have some ready on a sale or return basis. There is only about 4 mm of lining on the shoes when new so they do look worn out when you take the disc's off.
De adjust the parking brake through the hole in the disc/drum if the disc will not slide off the studs, and when re fitting adjust the shoes back up till you cannot turn the disc then slacken off till the drum turns freely.

John. 

• Like 1

Thanks John. ECP quote now coming in at 84.00 with their sale as well. Cant find parking brake shoes so will get those from the local factor.

Dealers quote now in of 295 - bit of a saving if I do it.

1 hour ago, TimS320 said:

Thanks John. ECP quote now coming in at 84.00 with their sale as well. Cant find parking brake shoes so will get those from the local factor.

Dealers quote now in of 295 - bit of a saving if I do it.

Not a bad price.
I am not saying you will need rear shoes , but it would be prudent to either have some at hand or at leased be able to pick some up at short notice if they are required. From memory they are circa £25 for the set, and Ferodo do them.  Take a picture of how the springs fit if you do need to change them as this will tell you which springs go in which holes, and what way round.
The saving is only £200 not a lot if you say it quickly.🤑

John. 

• Like 1

I'm happy to do them myself, its not a big job and I need to save a bit somewhere right now. Had my windscreen leak checked at the same time and its not the rear washer hose  line. Its the windscreen which needs resealing according to the dealer. So I can call the insurance compeny and get them to reseal it, but its quite a scratched windscreen and I'd really like it replaced. Are they generally open to negotiation?

I'd be very hesitant to use anything but OEM brake components. Just my $0.02, I'm sure lots of people do and have no issues but the OEM components are designed specifically for the car with the right pad material, friction coefficient etc, and probably last longer than some of the aftermarket ones.

Sometimes the cheapest way out is the most expensive way in :)

On 9/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, TimS320 said:

Cant find parking brake shoes so will get those from the local factor.

Shoes will outlast the vehicle unless you are in the habit of engaging the parking brake whilst moving. Or constantly driving off without releasing the brake first.

Absolutely as Colin states. Park brake shoes basically never wear out. I've never changed any in my decades of doing my own brake services. 

Blimey Britpus that made me laugh. £200 not sounding much if said quickly.

While I agree the rear parking brake shoes in theory should never ware out, but in practice particularly if you bought the car second hand you do not know how the previous owner drove it.
It would be annoying to say the leased to start working on the car on a Sunday only to find shoes are needed and not available. Also why I said have them available on sale or return or at available at your local motorist parts shop "if open".
When I did my own rear pads on the GS "the discs were fine" I found the shoe linings were down to about 0.5 mm at one end on each of all 4 shoes. This was at about 100,000 miles.
My Prius that I had from new at 140,000 miles still had what appeared to be have no measurable ware on the linings. 

John.