Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lock the car when walk away from car?

Before and after you open the door?

Usually cars lock automatically if after unlocking the doors the doors are not opened. What I was trying here is to move away from the car, after using it, and it would lock itself. I know for instance that Renault used to have a proximity lock/unlock feature with their cars.

Thanks,

Bruno

I am nor sure this is a good idea. If you have a passenger, and say call in to get petrol. You walk away from the car to pay. The car locks itself setting the alarm. The passenger moves, and triggers the alarm. I have done this twice with my wife in the car, but by pressing the button to lock the car on the door handle from habit.
You may be away from the car longer in other scenarios causing the passenger some embarrassment being unable to stop the alarm.

John.

57 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I am nor sure this is a good idea. If you have a passenger, and say call in to get petrol. You walk away from the car to pay. The car locks itself setting the alarm. The passenger moves, and triggers the alarm. I have done this twice with my wife in the car, but by pressing the button to lock the car on the door handle from habit.
You may be away from the car longer in other scenarios causing the passenger some embarrassment being unable to stop the alarm.

John.

Good point... :) I believe the car is able to know if someone is sitting in the passanger seat but anyway I was just wondering. I'm not sure how Renault managed this in their cars (not sure if they needed the key to be somewhere inside in the car so this would only be activated if you took the key with you...

Anyway, thanks for the help.

21 hours ago, BrunoLeal said:

Before and after you open the door?

Usually cars lock automatically if after unlocking the doors the doors are not opened. What I was trying here is to move away from the car, after using it, and it would lock itself. I know for instance that Renault used to have a proximity lock/unlock feature with their cars.

Thanks,

Bruno

It could be quite easy for Lexus to implement this feature but they haven't and therefore it isn't possible to configure this option.

• Like 1

Just now, ColinBarber said:

It could be quite easy for Lexus to implement this feature but they haven't and therefore it isn't possible to configure this option.

Finally a straight answer to my question... :)

Thanks,

Bruno

I see Honda have it .

It seems a useful feature. if your'e worried about someone hiding in your hedge with the ability to start your car then I'd suggest a touch of paranoia . If you have that paranoia just lock it.

I see it as a belt and braces feature. Lock the car by touching the door handle but if you forget its nice to know the car will lock itself once you get a certain distance away. Would be difficult for an insurance company to argue you didn't lock the vehicle.

46 minutes ago, doog442 said:

I see Honda have it .

It seems a useful feature. if your'e worried about someone hiding in your hedge with the ability to start your car then I'd suggest a touch of paranoia . If you have that paranoia just lock it.

It'd be like the self flushing toilets that never seem to work. 

On 9/15/2018 at 11:34 AM, ColinBarber said:

Our Tesla has self lock on walking away and unlock on approach, great feature.

Our IS300H can detect you approaching with the key as the lights under the mirror turn on/off as you get closer/leave. I persume hardwarewise its fully possible for Lexus to implement self lock/unlock but unlikely to happen.

On 9/14/2018 at 4:49 PM, BrunoLeal said:

Good point... 🙂 I believe the car is able to know if someone is sitting in the passanger seat but anyway I was just wondering. I'm not sure how Renault managed this in their cars (not sure if they needed the key to be somewhere inside in the car so this would only be activated if you took the key with you...

Anyway, thanks for the help.

On the Tesla the car will lock if the key isnt detected and no one is sitting in the drivers seat. If my wife/daughter is in the car I just leave the keys in the car when I get out to do things - though its a rare occurrence with no need to ever pay for petrol :).

The down side to passive entry/keyless entry is all the relay key thefts thats been going round. Tesla have just introduced a 'PIN to drive' software update meaning at least even if someone relays the key fob signal and gain entry they cannot drive the car without knowing the pin.

6 hours ago, ganzoom said:

On the Tesla the car will lock if the key isnt detected and no one is sitting in the drivers seat. If my wife/daughter is in the car I just leave the keys in the car when I get out to do things - though its a rare occurrence with no need to ever pay for petrol :).

The down side to passive entry/keyless entry is all the relay key thefts thats been going round. Tesla have just introduced a 'PIN to drive' software update meaning at least even if someone relays the key fob signal and gain entry they cannot drive the car without knowing the pin.

It makes sense. I don't think there's any perfect solution. My goal with this thread was just to understand how far Lexus allow to change this type of settings (either by ourselves or through main dealers).

Thanks,

Bruno

1 hour ago, BrunoLeal said:

It makes sense. I don't think there's any perfect solution. My goal with this thread was just to understand how far Lexus allow to change this type of settings (either by ourselves or through main dealers).

Thanks,

Bruno

I don't think they do. Am sure a third party with enough skill to do it can, especially if they can see a market for it- but the market/interest for a car like the IS is tiny and not worth anyones while.

On 9/16/2018 at 11:59 AM, Rabbers said:

The last three posts add up to an interesting example of eristic coprophilia, unexpected in a Lexus forum....

Steady on Rabbers. I used the word apropos and it evoked comment.

John

On 9/15/2018 at 9:58 PM, rayaans said:

It'd be like the self flushing toilets that never seem to work. 

We have these at work, or as we like to call automated ball washers... complete pain in the.......... bum !!!