Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dreaded Rattles and Creaks IS250

So I bought a Lexus IS250, a few months ago, 09 plate with 70k from a main dealer. I noticed after a month or two that there were these rattles coming from the dashboard and drivers door. Now they replaced the clips in the dashboard, but then its still happening, any advice? Also with the driver's door, would it be worth trying to clean the door rubbers with some wd40? I have seen a few threads on here mention this. 

When I had taken my car into the dealer the service manager told me originally that it was an old car, and that the dash rattles were not covered under warranty. But I was persistent, as I had only had the car a month after it started happening. I was glad they fixed it but now it seems to have returned. But its only when I drive on rough or bumpy roads it happens. 

18 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

My own car has just received its first noise. Top dash mount speaker, when i push down on it it goes away. So either speaker gone, or the padding unless its vibrated loose.

I believe i will be able to access when i remove the stereo.

I will see if it could be the speaker in the dash. But its really annoying.

21 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

I will see if it could be the speaker in the dash. But its really annoying.

The GS suffers in just the same way.  I took out my radio and put the fluffy side of velcro everywhere which worked, then I pushed black rubber used in glazing between the dash and the windscreen, and all I had left was a slight noise from the glovebox.  Annoying to say the least that anyone should have to do this. Unfortunately it does seem to get worse when the weather turns cold.

1 hour ago, rdb85 said:

So I bought a Lexus IS250, a few months ago, 09 plate with 70k from a main dealer. I noticed after a month or two that there were these rattles coming from the dashboard and drivers door. Now they replaced the clips in the dashboard, but then its still happening, any advice? Also with the driver's door, would it be worth trying to clean the door rubbers with some wd40? I have seen a few threads on here mention this. 

When I had taken my car into the dealer the service manager told me originally that it was an old car, and that the dash rattles were not covered under warranty. But I was persistent, as I had only had the car a month after it started happening. I was glad they fixed it but now it seems to have returned. But its only when I drive on rough or bumpy roads it happens. 

Rattles can be very annoying.

Only if it is safe to do so ....you could try pressing with your hand in different areas of the dash to see if the noise decreases or stops altogether. This would at least give you a reasonably accurate pointer as to where to investigate. It can be a bit tricky as you generally need to be moving to hear any rattles. It could be the dash clips or could be the speaker or could be elsewhere. 

Same for the door. I've not heard of any door rattles myself but there was mention of rattles from the pillar. I remember someone taking the pillar cover off and taping together some cables and putting a few small pieces of foam at strategic points.

Door symptoms fairly widely mentioned, usually relate to creaking. This can be from the door seal rubbers. They can also get sticky. I've used the gummi pfledge stuff and found it to be very good.

This is the stuff i used. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber-Care-Stick-100ml-FREE-FAST-POSTAGE/192187603895?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Second the gummi pfledge stuff on the door rubbers.  This worked a treat on the slight creaks I've had on doors on both of the IS250s that I've had. 

Other than that (and I'm sure you've done this), check there's nothing in the door bins or glove box that could be rattling.  I have CDs in mine that often make noise.  The missus also puts rubbish in the passenger door bin and leaves it there only for me to hear it a couple of days later and go mad thinking it's something behind the dashboard.

I also get a bit of plastic noise from the fairing around the rear view mirror on the windscreen - I haven't attempted to tackle that yet, so any advice is welcome!

Good luck with sorting it, and well done for pressing Lexus on the warranty!

I'd agree that cabin noise is one of the few negative aspects of ownership. For a 'premium' car, there are far too many rattles and squeaks. I've used the foam between the dash and window and I've had the clips replaced but I do still get some noise. The annoying fact is that some days it's almost silent while on another day there's loads of noise. To me it seems to be very temperature dependent and my thinking is that it's possibly to do with different grades of plastic reacting at different rates to changes in temperature?

Having said that, in all other respects, I'm really happy with my car so it's really a minor grumble.

mine is terrible, worse when it's hot (cabin expansion)... problems with the door and centre console/gear lever.

I  bought some automotive felt tape (cheap on ebay) and ran it along the mating surfaces, made a huge difference, totally fixed the door, and improved the console.

when I took the centre console apart, it is clear how many different plastic type components involved, no wonder it creaks when you touch it ..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links