Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This time I decided to take the 450h on a longer route to Spain.

Bolton --> Maidstone (I like classy places) --> Troyes --> Evian --> Turin (via the St Bernard Pass) --> Monaco --> Nice --> Valencia (Spain) --> Orange (France) --> Reims --> Bolton.

As usually, the car didn't miss a heartbeat.  The only issue was leaving Reims, my tyre presses warning came on.  Looks like driving at 140km/h in 30+ degrees heat and then parking overnight with temperatures dropping to 10 degrees caused the pressure to drop 0.4 bar on all tyres.  Luckily I had my compressor in the car.  

My MPG over nearly 3,500 miles was an indicated 40.6.  Considering the amount of miles I did driving at over 85MPH, going over the Alps (although going down the other side used very little fuel) and driving around cities... I am again impressed with the GS.   No turbo = no noticeable loss of power at 2,500m up a mountain 🙂

Longest sprint was Nice to Valencia which was about 900KM and took 9 hours to complete.  Parked up at the other end, a quick stretch and I was ready for a walk and some dinner.    

It is a shame the GS is no more as I would buy another.  I am seriously considering buying my GS off Lexus in a few months at the end of my PCP and running it into the ground.  The only other car which is currently interesting me is the RX450h.  Whatever my next car is... it needs ventilated seats.  Driving in 40 degrees heat and getting out without a sweaty back is lovely.

SW.

• Like 6

Nice one. Which road you took just after Barcelona ? You can go via tunnels and pay 6euro or you can take beautiful curvy road next to the coast - 

In the area there is also this one even better:

I really wished I took my GS40h or motorcycle on those instead of some rental SUV 😛 but still they are so nice. Closes one in my area would be box hill but they put speed bumps there 🙂

Just come back from a road trip in my SC430. North Sea Ferries to Zeebrugge. Based in Strasbourg. Did the Route des Cretes in the Vosage. Then over the border in to Germany to do Black Forest High Road. Both excellent driving roads. Lots of spirited driving!

The whole trip managed 27.5mpg

22 hours ago, Hangie said:

Nice one. Which road you took just after Barcelona ? You can go via tunnels and pay 6euro or you can take beautiful curvy road next to the coast - 
🙂

I'm afraid this time I bombed it down the AP7 when I got into Spain as it was 900KM from Nice to my apartment.

I have however taken the bendy road over the border from France into Spain on that coast and it is a run road.  It was a few years back when I had my little BMW 1 series which was perfect for having some fun.  Last time I did Sitges was in a hire car.  I spent a few nights in Barcelona and then drove down along the coast,

On other trips, I've gone via Andorra which is fun and also travelled from Biarritz to San Sebastian using the costal road. 

Christmas I'm considering getting the ferry to Bilbao, having a few nights in Bilbao before driving down to Madrid for a few nights.

SW

Been doing these trips twice a year for the last 13 years. Always take the Shuttle via Folkestone and Calais, then any of the 4 main routes down to Spain.

Here are a couple of pics from my recent trip via Cleremont Ferrand, taking in the Viaduc de Garabit and the Via du Millau.

viaduc de garabit 2.jpg

102.JPG

viaduc de millau 2.PNG

viaduc de millau.jpg

• Like 1

I do road trips abroad as well but the car is left at home😉

Bloody cyclists !!!

Pyrenees 2011 (Spain back UK ) 

013.JPG

Koln 2015 (UK to Switzerland and return via France)

P1050112.JPG

DDAY beaches 2017

DSCN0827.JPG

Apologies back to car trips (I really should do some at some point - it will save the knees 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m just back with my 250 GS from the Pyrenees. I go every year in my car. Biggest run back was from the Azay Le Rideau yesterday pm to get back to Scotland for lunch.

Car did miss a beat and developed an odd intermittent squeaking noise and slight rattling/clicking noise when low speed manoeuvring.

Didn’t go quite as far south this time inntgus car, my previous Merc and Volvo have been to Granada, Ronda and Seville plus Salamanca, Madrid and Toledo.

Here’s my GS in the Spanish Pyrenees-can you guess where?

Agree on the cooled seats

IMG_3051.JPG

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1