Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Want to buy this IS300, anybody knows?

Zi's

Hi all, Im new to forum but I think it is the best place to ask some questions

I want to buy this IS300 does anyone know something about it? seen it on meets etc,

will be very thankful for any kind of info

what do you guys think? opinions

thanks in advance

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Lexus-IS-300-sport-2003/223151166136?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Welcome to the forum. Where to start?

Rare? Yes, not many on the market now, and dealers like to play the 'rare' card by asking silly money. But you'd hope they would be the really rare ones that have a complete service history and minimal owners.

Very quick car? Quick enough, but not as quick as that big engine suggests. You will be embarrassed by a lot of more modern metal.

New radiator is good, definitely needed by this age.  

With good maintenance 150k is no problem on an IS300 engine and gearbox, assuming fluids (including the rear axle) have been routinely changed. Things to look out for are sticking brake callipers, wheel wobble, and body corrosion (especially sills ahead of the rear wheels). Remember these are cambelt engines, check for any evidence it's been changed. It's fifteen years old so all sorts of sensors are end-of-life.

As with any 15 year old car, don't pay too much if you can't be certain of the history. 8 owners sounds a bit of churn to me, probably a horribly incomplete history. How many of those previous owners were drift kings?

MoT history is at least a bit more hit than miss. Last MoT it had:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge on limit both (5.2.3 (e))
  • Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin unable to see (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
  • Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • h lights just in pattern
  • suspension bushes deteriorating
  • Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement wishbone (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Depends on your appetite for risk, matey. Will this be your only car? Will you be depending on it to get to work on pain of being fired? Or is a toy for modding and weekend drifting? Are you spending every penny you have to buy it or do you have the the same again for any repairs? How long are you planning to keep it? 

That's probably more questions than answers!

Don't get me wrong, the IS300 is a brilliant car, but finding one nowadays that hasn't been neglected will be really difficult. I wonder what the sellers reserve price is?

Thanks all for reply, especially gdh300 nice write up 🙂 to answer you questions im buyig this as my daily/toy car, more so i always wanted IS and 4 seater will be good for me now, I have bike to go to work so that is not a problem, as 8 owners yep thats a bit scarry but there is nothing i cannot fix as long as there was no body damage, dont want to spend my money on a bended can,  just need to see that in person, as for reserve I dont know either will talk to him today but im not spending more than 2k on it.

its time for call

will keep you guys posted

thanks for help

HI all,  I been there today to have look, around 2min and i went home, waste of time. Will just put things that i saw for anyone by any chance is interested.

Car is Cat D write off, NSR wheel arch to mid of C pillar was badly repaired i mean you can see the filler sand paper marks all over it through paint/color not really match the rest of car,paint in that place started to crack, boot lid is out of alignment with small paint chips, whole right side have classic key pass scratch not really deep but is there, front bonnet different color shade as well stone chip started to rust, had a front small collision hence new radiator i think.

After seeing that i just went home, didnt even see the owner so i dont know how engine sounds and dont know how the suspension looks, didn't even want to look at that.

So yep failure.
I will put a post in wanted but maybe someone know about someone want to sell descend IS300 I'm really interested.
Cheers for help to all.

Oh dear. The search goes on then. 

I spent months looking for my IS, traipsing around the country and that was five years ago. Hopefully you'll get lucky and find a decent one soon. Only three on Autotrader at the moment, all for big money.

Yep, silver looks nice but 5k is too much to ask for that car and front bumper do not mach with paint/slightly brighter then rest, something happened there, maby i will have a look on that one, not so far from me just to have quick chat and see what is going on there

Wow - £5,000 for this IS300 with styling kit seems a bit much. If it was black with black interior at 50,000 miles then it would be worth something like that. A couple of years ago I saw the values go right down but seems like prices are on the up.

Especially steep for a non-Lexus dealership.

I paid top money for mine from Lexus Sheffield last year but it came serviced, MOT'd, taxed, new tyres, 1 year of Lexus warranty and 1 year of Lexus breakdown cover.