Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450h advice/pointers/information greatly appreciated

Hello folks, ex GS300, current Gs430 and rabidly ex (other than an elderly G-wagon) MB sort looking to buy a 2013 2014 or 2015 Rx450h in the not too distant future and hoping for some advice/pointers/information.

So, where should I start, Premier? Advance? Luxury? From what I've read, Sport is not for me as it would finish off what's left of my back. What I would like is a wooden steering wheel (sad I know), cooled and massaging seat, and I would prefer 18 or 19 inch wheels. For the life of me I can't really work out what's what in all the iterations. Indeed I can't find the seats anywhere and their seems no logic with the steering wheels so I'm guessing they're build options.

So, any advice as to model choice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

I have advance on 15 plate and have driven 6000 miles in 3 months. Most comfortable car ever owned and seats are amazing. My aching back is so much better now. Miss the cooling seats of my GS 300h but that and a few other minor omissions from the spec I can live with. Advance has excellent LED lights and the Ml sound system. My car has panoramic roof but the other option was sunroof on Advance spec. 19INCH Wheels are standard. Am averaging tankful to tankful 33.6 mpg. 

Thanks.

You do in a 3 months what we do in a year!

I think I'd probably prefer a panoramic roof to a sunroof. My experience of  sunroofs is that they always, eventually, leak. I had a (detachable) panny roof on my SL60 which I loved.

I wonder a) if 18" wheels are a possibility and b) if they would increase comfort. I can't seem to find anything on wheel options, but that might be because there ain't any 🙂

How do you find the ML sounds? I've only ever had the basic systems in my GS's (and the Rx300 which I forgot about!) and thought they were very good. 

29 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Advance has excellent Led lights and the Ml sound system

Is yours a Mk 4 because my Advance is a Mk 3 (first registered in November 2013) and it doesn't have the ML system. Maybe they were an option rather than standard?

If you get the premier youll get all the kit including cooked seats etc. However you also get air suspension which may be problematic in the future.

The Advance spec has been the best value and it comes with most things apart from HUD. 

18" wheels can be fitted to all RXs apart from Premier as I suspect it would interfere with the air suspension setup.

The ML is marginally better than the standard sound systems. I didn't bother with it in my 4RX because the standard system sounds as good as the 3RX ML

Thanks.

Agree about the air suspension, so that rules out the Premier. Advantage is beginning to look good as many seem to have the panny roof and it solves the wheel size problem.

Pity about no wooden steering wheel though. I have a thing about them. I wish I could take the one off my ancient GS or the MoMo off my even more ancient G-Wagon !!!!

5 hours ago, IanA2 said:

Thanks.

You do in a 3 months what we do in a year!

I think I'd probably prefer a panoramic roof to a sunroof. My experience of  sunroofs is that they always, eventually, leak. I had a (detachable) panny roof on my SL60 which I loved.

I wonder a) if 18" wheels are a possibility and b) if they would increase comfort. I can't seem to find anything on wheel options, but that might be because there ain't any 🙂

How do you find the ML sounds? I've only ever had the basic systems in my GS's (and the Rx300 which I forgot about!) and thought they were very good. 

The Ml is fine but the setup is not as good as the Ml in my previous 2015 GS. For instance the dab radio doesn't display the name of the performer. The way the car drives though is superb. You have got heated seats. I chose the Advance spec because it is a nice compromise with equipment and has a very comfortable ride and seats. My car has the cream interior which gives it a nice look 

11 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

The Ml is fine but the setup is not as good as the Ml in my previous 2015 GS. For instance the dab radio doesn't display the name of the performer. The way the car drives though is superb. You have got heated seats. I chose the Advance spec because it is a nice compromise with equipment and has a very comfortable ride and seats. My car has the cream interior which gives it a nice look 

Thanks.

I'm not too bothered about the fancy audio stuff,  you should see what an 18 year old GS basic sound system, apart from sounding good, not a lot!

Comfort, access and reliability are my main concerns.

I've been assuming hat hybrid tech is the way to go, but it occurs to me that only using this type of vehicle car once a week may not be a good way to use it; or not?

Answers on a postcard please 🙂

Hello Ian,

If you could stretch to a 17 plate Premier ( before the VED changed ) you'd  get everything you need. Having driven an 05 plate for 13 years there are huge improvements. MPG for one and the HUD is fabulous. Most surprising is the composure of the ride. I always  believed that 20 inch wheels would give a rougher ride but I've found the opposite and am amazed how good the springs and dampers are. 

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I don't really want to be spending quite that much. Does it have air suspension? That would be an separate deal breaker. That said it's a good looking car, I'm guessing in eighteen months it'll be priced nearer what to I want to spend, but not sure I want to wait that long 🙂.

1 hour ago, IanA2 said:

Thanks Alan,

I don't really want to be spending quite that much. Does it have air suspension? That would be an separate deal breaker. That said it's a good looking car, I'm guessing in eighteen months it'll be priced nearer what to I want to spend, but not sure I want to wait that long 🙂.

I wouldn't buy another car with air suspension as there's too much to go wrong. Mine was registered just before the tax changed so the current VED is £110. I haven't used enough fuel to accurately state the MPG but it's at least 60% more than the 05. I'm looking forward to a warm steering wheel this winter !

Alan

1 minute ago, stringbender said:

I wouldn't buy another car with air suspension as there's too much to go wrong. Mine was registered just before the tax changed so the current VED is £110. I haven't used enough fuel to accurately state the MPG but it's at least 60% more than the 05. I'm looking forward to a warm steering wheel this winter !

Alan

Thanks for that clarification.

9 hours ago, stringbender said:

Hello Ian,

If you could stretch to a 17 plate Premier ( before the VED changed ) you'd  get everything you need. Having driven an 05 plate for 13 years there are huge improvements. MPG for one and the HUD is fabulous. Most surprising is the composure of the ride. I always  believed that 20 inch wheels would give a rougher ride but I've found the opposite and am amazed how good the springs and dampers are. 

Alan

If he wanted a 4RX, why would he get a 17 plate? They came out in 2015. A 65 plate would be the better, and more sensible option.

I have a 2008 SE-L with air suspension, ML audio, NO sunroof, but with wood pack. I agree the wooden steering wheel clinched the deal with me.

Looking at the service history and old invoices it has had one air strut changed. I have just had my MOT and have had to fork out for disks and pads all round and a new set of front shocks - but not the air parts of the front suspension.  

I wonder just how many of current air suspensions members have had problems so we can look at the figures and see whether there is a problem or just word of mouth that is maligning these models. Can we have some replies on this please ??

Thanks, that's good to know.

I really like wooden steering wheels, but air suspension scares me. It would be really good if folks could report on their experiences.

MB folks run like the *wind from air suspension; I know of many tales of woe and serious wallet surgery. 

*see what I did there 🙂