Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a Saab on Sunday...

rich1068

On 9/22/2018 at 11:59 AM, Vince Donald said:

As someone who has owned 3 Saabs, I looked into buying a 9-3 convertible a few years ago, the only thing I remember is that models of certain years were prone to having the bulkhead cracking around the steering column, which on an old car could be a write off unless you're prepared to pay to sort it.

I believe the last version produced has it all sorted and there is a colar that can be bought and fitted to prevent the issue from happening on the other versions but since it has to be fitted to the bulkhead, its not the cheapest of fixes either.

As far as I know, this only affects the convertible model.

Vince

There's an episode of wheeler dealers where ed puts a strengthening strut in to solve the cracking bulkhead problem. Don't think it was expensive or difficult to do.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I saw that one, knew about the issue already, applying the fix is reasonable, its expensive if its already gone as that needs welding and its not an easy place to get into which is what pushes these into becoming write-offs, cos these cars are getting pretty cheap to buy like the one rich1068 got,.though it certainly doesn't look cheap.

Vince

The price of these cars is indeed ridiculous. And bulkheads notwithstanding, mostly cheap to fix too. And because I bought one the other week I found myself near Lincoln last night with a mate who was buying a '97 9000 CD Griffin V6 for 650 quid :biggrin:

• Like 2

And the good news continues. Just had my preferred non-Lexus mechanic give it a once over and apart from a small weld required where I'd imagine one of the original drivers seat spot welds is, it's good to go. So next Wednesday it's back for that and a good coating of Waxoyl. 60 quid. Might need new front shocks before the MOT next April.

Being a fantasist (masochist?) , I fancied the last big one, a 2.8 XWD limo!

One used to live in Clevedon where we walk every so often  ('Walking'? It's what legs do, besides getting to the car!)

Like an LS, you'd wince at the repair costs?

On 10/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, rich1068 said:

And the good news continues. Just had my preferred non-Lexus mechanic give it a once over and apart from a small weld required where I'd imagine one of the original drivers seat spot welds is, it's good to go. So next Wednesday it's back for that and a good coating of Waxoyl. 60 quid. Might need new front shocks before the MOT next April.

Didn't even need the weld :biggrin: Turns out it had already been done from the inside by a previous owner. So just 30 quid for the Waxoyl.

your car looks great ............... 18 years ago I had a 1995 saloon Saab, loved the car and thought I'd have it forever ............  then along came my first Ls400 .. and now on my third .............

the only problem I had with the Saab was at 60k miles was the waterpump developed a hairline crack ............... simple replacement I think and about £60 then.

Lovely car .............

Malc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just had to defend our honour over on the Saab forum.

Love the Saab and the forum is generally excellent but I don't think reliability is something they can call us out on! :biggrin:

Probably get banned now...

22 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Just had to defend our honour over on the Saab forum.

Love the Saab and the forum is generally excellent but I don't think reliability is something they can call us out on! :biggrin:

Probably get banned now...

Tell them that if their forums are quiet, its because many ex Saab drivers are now driving Lexus and so they can be found over here :thumbup:

Vince

Auxiliary belt let go. Actually, I think it's the tensioner that went first causing the belt to snap.

Luckily we were more or less on top of Tibshelf services on the M1 northbound or I'd have found out the hard way how smart the "smart" motorway is in the dark...

More seriously, the thought of stopping on an active lane of the M1 at 6.00pm on a Saturday truly terrified me. I think I would have rather cooked the engine than done that.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Farqui said:

Another one Richard!

Are you taking any medication for this 'compulsion'? 

:w00t:

Terrible isn't it?

This one was actually given to me would you believe? Currently doesn't need anything spending on it and it has a full set of brand new Cross Climates. So instead of buying them for my RX I'm running this :wink:

As soon as a anything goes wrong it's going.

*when I say "anything" I mean over and above the heating, air con, central locking, screen washers, that funny farty noise it makes when you set off and the odd looseness in the steering.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

I often wondered about buying the Saab Griffin too  ..........  but the Ls400 has everything and more maybe ??

Malc

I think most older Saabs are capable of astronomical mileages, much like Volvos. But there's no way they're screwed together like period Japanese motors. Mint Griffin or mint LS400? I think I'd go for the Lexus.