Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a Saab on Sunday...

rich1068

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Fresh ticket with no advisories on the 9-3 yesterday :thumbsup: Looks like I bought a good 'un.

You see, all that has has done now is to justify your obsession!

• Like 1

And in other news, went to the Classic Restoration doo daa at the NEC today in the 9-5. Made it all the way there AND all the way back. That's a result in anyone's book.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

In other news I nearly bought a Soarer today. Still might. I'm so weak it's pathetic.

Ooo, lover-ley! 

Any chance you could buy an orange Saab 99 like the mum-of-my-best-friend-at-primary-school had? Just for old time's sake? It seemed very exotic (in a Scandinavian way) in the late 70's, what with everyone I knew driving an Austin or a Morris (apart from someone posh we knew, who had a Wolseley). 

• Like 1

Unless I buy the Soarer and start this ridiculous cycle from fresh (again) I've decided it's a wheel refurb and rear window tints for the 9-5 next. Biggest bang for buck in terms of appearance as far as I'm concerned. Closely followed by a carbon fibre dash direct from Sverige. Or a nice walnut one if I can find one on the Bay. After that it's a replacement head unit and SID (Saab Information Display). The buttons have gone icky on mine. To give you an idea of the bangernomics involved that's 60 quid for a brand new dash direct from Saab in Sweden, 25 quid for a CD/radio/cassette and about the same for the SID.

Over the last month or two I've had the brakes and suspension sorted so it now drives like a car with half the mileage. Add to that a remap courtesy of Karl at noobtune and the car is pretty much sorted. I've also been working on the paintwork and the pearlescent is coming through much more. It changes from bronze to grey to I don't know what depending on the light.

qZ8bZIQh.jpg

scnZNj1h.jpg

kLvK9bEh.jpg

pmkspBqh.jpg

Also, totally (nearly, there was a Gripen there) unrelated to Saabs here's a pic of the Red Arrows I took at the RAF Cosford airshow last week. Just posting it because I like it.

e50ey6Uh.jpg

• Like 1

I should add that the original subject of this thread (850 quid '99 9-3 S Convertible) has cost me roughly bugger all since I bought it. It comes out whenever it's dry but also survived an extremely wet Tour Of The Peaks with absolutely no issues when some other more exotic machinery didn't do too well.

The kids love it too. I mentioned to the eldest that to get the Soarer I'd have to sell the 9-3 and 9-5 and he was absolutely horrified. I think I'm doing something right.

4oOO01zh.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And couple more pics of some Swedish Metal.

r6udthoh.jpg

Q470Qoyh.jpg

A bit of Friday night Espresso Black action.

And this rolled round this morning

q6RhANBh.jpg

Not bad for a European car :wink:

• Like 2