Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The new Supra! Initial reviews

1 hour ago, Northern isf said:

www.mysanantonio.com/news/us/article/Ford-and-Cadillac-SUVs-Toyota-sports-car-star-at-13532112.php

Got to say I'm not a fan it looks too awkward the lines are allover the place the roof line looks too high, big disappointment coming from the last supra in my opinion 

I dunno Wayne. I’m properly on the fence. Here’s a much closer look;

12 minutes ago, NothernDan said:

I dunno Wayne. I’m properly on the fence. Here’s a much closer look;

Is there any car that that Sponge Shaped Tommy Tank Puffin hasn't bought.

Without opening the video I am going to guess the opening line is "Hi Guys I'm Shmee and I've just bought...."

He has only just bought a McLaren Senna FFS.  I am in the wrong job 😉

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

Is there any car that that Sponge Shaped Tommy Tank Puffin hasn't bought.

Without opening the video I am going to guess the opening line is "Hi Guys I'm Shmee""

He has only just bought a McLaren Senna FFS.  I am in the wrong job 😉

I thought I was the only one who thought that, he just grinds on me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

I thought I was the only one who thought that, he just grinds on me.

The cars I can handle.  It's the overexcited child with a name my 3 year old daughter would give to one of her My Little Ponies that winds me up.

I just don't get how he gets all these bloody cars.

It's jealously really....  (Well the cars and money part)

• Haha 1

I actually had the pleasure (?) of meeting him a few years back at Gumball. I’d have to say that despite what everyone thinks, when you meet him in person he is just actually much more of a bell-end than he appears to be on the videos. Complete helmet.

Never judge a book by its cover, read a few pages before you throw it out of the window of a moving train into a tar pit.

Turn the volume off and his videos are pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A missed opportunity again. The concept was amazing and shrinking it and stuffing all the styling in to the smaller package has killed the car. Also, it’s basically a z4 and you don’t buy a supra to own a z4. For that money there anew far more compelling out there. I’d have an alpine if buying new.

• Like 1

I think it looks superb, those rear arches and that ducktail sit perfectly. 

BMW's B58 engine is a peach as well, 500bhp with simple bolt ons and a remap. 

Prefer the way it looks compared to the MK4 as well, far less boat looking. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

The cars I can handle.  It's the overexcited child with a name my 3 year old daughter would give to one of her My Little Ponies that winds me up.

I just don't get how he gets all these bloody cars.

It's jealously really....  (Well the cars and money part)

New age of earning a very good living through posting youtube/social media videos. I googled him last night, 7 million followers, i guess he gets paid a pretty penny for adverts to appear during his vidoes... 

5 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

New age of earning a very good living through posting youtube/social media videos. I googled him last night, 7 million followers, i guess he gets paid a pretty penny for adverts to appear during his vidoes... 

That's it in a nutshell, very well paid. I watched one of his video's once and found his whole persona so irritating I couldn't help but want to punch his lights out for some reason which is most out of character for me. Still plenty of people click on his stuff so every click helps.

Back to the important issue the car, I'm guessing you can up the power dead easy which is what I'm sure a lot of people will do. Shame there is no manual on offer though on this model.

I think he made a lot of money selling a company he set up, before doing youtube.

There is also Patreon/subscribe star etc support where subscribers pay for special access to video's etc. 

Even some people who just talk politics to microphone are pulling 100k a year. 

Shmee is the son of the chap who owns burtons. He has made all his money through YouTube and was one of the first to realise its financial potential. I actually can’t watch him but he has done very well through YouTube! 

6 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Sorry guys but this is the Supra I'd have...

nY3HbMih.jpg

Haters gonna hate... :wink:

Back in the day they were so nice, speaking as someone who had one of the very first MR2's to hit the UK I always liked the Celica and Supra of that era.

I think the new car is more Celica than Supra given the dimensions.

• Like 3

Him and a few others - Parker Nirenstein, Doug Demuro (possibly the only person on youtube MORE annoying than Shmee). Bjorn Nyland's videos are very useful if you're actually looking to buy one of the cars he covers (he ONLY covers EVs) as he goes into very small details and really shows what the car will do in the real world - If you're not interested in that car though there's no way you're going to sit through one of his videos. Then there's stuff like Hoovie's Garage, Savage Geese, etc - there's useful information out there, and youtubers aren't restricted to fitting a car review into a TV-friendly time slot. You get more in depth, more useful info from a lot of those reviews than from car magazines with advertisers to keep sweet. 

You may or may not be aware that Robert Llewellyn (Kryten on Red Dwarf, Scrapheap Challenge) runs a Youtube channel dedicated to EVs - Fully Charged, now alongside Johnny Smith (Fifth Gear). Many of these outlets are actually becoming more seriously entertained by the motoring industry than the traditional motoring press. 

Still don't like Shmee though. 

Well I though the concept looked great, the camo pictures looked good but I like the production version much less from the front or back. Although surely nobody can dislike a Zagato esk double bubble.

Image result for 1959 aston martin zagato roof

Image result for zagato double bubble roof

And Smee ! I don't like him. Took one for the team though and listened all the way which qualifies me to suggest you give him a miss. That's 20 minutes of my life I wont get back but every day a school day as they say.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, i-s said:

Him and a few others - Parker Nirenstein, Doug Demuro (possibly the only person on youtube MORE annoying than Shmee). Bjorn Nyland's videos are very useful if you're actually looking to buy one of the cars he covers (he ONLY covers EVs) as he goes into very small details and really shows what the car will do in the real world - If you're not interested in that car though there's no way you're going to sit through one of his videos. Then there's stuff like Hoovie's Garage, Savage Geese, etc - there's useful information out there, and youtubers aren't restricted to fitting a car review into a TV-friendly time slot. You get more in depth, more useful info from a lot of those reviews than from car magazines with advertisers to keep sweet. 

You may or may not be aware that Robert Llewellyn (Kryten on Red Dwarf, Scrapheap Challenge) runs a Youtube channel dedicated to EVs - Fully Charged, now alongside Johnny Smith (Fifth Gear). Many of these outlets are actually becoming more seriously entertained by the motoring industry than the traditional motoring press. 

Still don't like Shmee though. 

I can't take his reviews...although I can stand Doug which is odd.

I still watch some of Harry Metcalfe's video's and recently I've been watching the carguys (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs73OB7y7xFhktZ8JU4TDCg) who have some great classic cars as well as new ones.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, d3ron said:

I can't take his reviews...although I can stand Doug which is odd.

I still watch some of Harry Metcalfe's video's and recently I've been watching the carguys (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs73OB7y7xFhktZ8JU4TDCg) who have some great classic cars as well as new ones.

I like Doug as well.  Annoying voice but picks out the random stuff you wouldn't normally pick out.  

• Like 3

I absolutely hate the BMW parts of the car.....Why not do something unique since they've waited all this time for a new supra rather than take parts from BMW 🙄

Love the front lights and general shape but that's about it.  

There was a Nissan GT-R parked on our road yesterday. It made me think of this thread because I think the new Supra should have that sort of presence. 

All said, I haven't seen one of these in the flesh. When you see one drive past, that's the test.