Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just bought an IS2OO Sportcross - non starter.

Day Murphy

As the title says, I just bought a Sportcross as a non starter.

It does fire when cranked, then immediately dies. It was showing A P0110 fault but when I cleared it, it didn't come back. If I hold the key at start it will try to fire with an occasional backfire through the throttle body.

My first plan will be a compression test to make sure the valves are ok, but I could do with a few pointers going forward.

All ideas will be gratefully received !

TIA chaps! 😁

Thanks Colin, I'll look into that.

Unfortunately there's no history with the car, but for the price I paid I can't complain!

It looks to have had a new water pump and radiator fairly recently, and any decent mechanic would have done the timing belt at the same time, but there are some eejits out there! 😁

sounds like the same problem i fix last week on a lexus the guys car would start when key turned then just cuts out found out that it was a faulty ignition coil. 

I checked all the coils and found one faulty one. The car same with a full set of spares (brand new but aftermarket) so I fitted one of those.

The cam belt is reasonably new and in good condition, and all the timing marks are spot on.

After all that it started... Really choppy and lumpy, and only for about 10 seconds, but it ran. After a few more tries it suddenly fired up spot on. 

I took it for a drive and it feels fine although the gearbox sounds like a straight cut racing box - better make sure it has some oil in it. After that it would start perfectly every time - until I left it over night.

This morning it wouldn't start at first, then it started (lumpy choppy), then after a while it started fine again.

So.... It's a sensor problem. The only question is, which one? I'm thinking it's either the CTS or the throttle body. As it's throwing up an occasional EML from the MAP sensor, the throttle body looks more likely although it's acting like it's a CTS fault.

She's fighting a good fight, but I'll get her sorted yet!

I'd love to, but all the local yards export everything Toyota/Lexus so no one gets a look in!

One of the guys on Facebook has a spare or two he's willing to part with, but til then I'm running 4 out of 6 OEM coils.