Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wider tyres on ISF: review

I bought my ISF 2 years ago with standard wheels and pretty worn Michelin PSS's in the standard sizes. I didn't push the car too much in those days but the front end would let go before the back.

I then bought new wheels and fitted wider Michelin PS4s, 275mm rear tyres and massive 255 fronts. They transformed the car, the back end wouldn't get unstuck even with extreme provocation, even in the wet. The front tyres created a lot more resistance through the steering wheel and felt really meaty. They did tramline more though and catch on the arch liner when reversing. For pure performance they were great but looking back I think they were too grippy for a road car. 

I've just had the standard wheels refinished at Flat Out alloys in cardiff. They suggested using Mini graphite paint with a Matt clear coat. I went for Goodyear F1s as they were nearly £200 cheaper than Michelins. I've gone back to the standard 255 rear tyre size but stayed with a slightly wider 245 fronts. My hunch is this combo is perfect for road use, less understeer and a playful rear end. 

I'll let you know how I get on!

20180923_151102.jpg

20180923_145204.jpg

received_2224034407841516.jpeg

received_296766327584258.jpeg

received_869499853259516.jpeg

• Like 7

@Rusty Crobar Russ wheels look great, nothing like a bit of experimentation to get the individual feel most of us want from our cars, all adds to the ownership ‘bonding’.

Be interesting to hear you feeling on the two tyre types the Goodyear’s get some good rightups 👍

🐀

• Like 2

Just out of interest what wheels are they?
Japan racing JR21s. Since the picture was taken I've had them refurbished with Porsche grey barrels and diamond cut faces. Totally unique but impossible to photograph properly! 01e8f967b6a74adc50472ed72cc6746f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Rusty Crobar They looked the part personally quite liked them certainly filled the arches 😄

🐀

Yes, the standard wheels always look a bit undernourished! I've got 3mm spacers on the front now and 6mm on the rear which helps a bit.

• Like 1

@Rusty Crobar Spacers yes that makes sense for both back and front, I agree with the sizes you’ve used as well sufficient to give the car a visible stance that perhaps it should have had from new, and not something that would cause both rubbing and perhaps strain on the wheel bearings 👍

🐀

• Like 1

@Rusty Crobar Russ now you’ve done that little swap over and I’ve sold my spare set of isF wheels and tyres to another member on here, he’s going to do his own thread on that for his recently acquired isF.

That just leaves your exhaust........ now I know you find it somewhat subdued compared to the standard system......:whistling:

So I have a standard system here including cats, it’s yours for the princely sum of coffee and cake and that includes delivery 😂

🐀

• Like 2

@NothernDan I can answer that one for you he’s lucky he’s a young man he’s 20 could easily pass for 19 though, mind you he looked a lot older when he came back from the top of the Prescott hill climb as a passenger in this Yaris GRMN....😂

6E368D4E-3F60-4C0C-AACC-56389E633A8C.thumb.jpeg.167f83d6cb545188a0008b5252042d64.jpeg79FFD327-45BD-4245-848D-7E73B0D3D0C0.thumb.jpeg.1da946f3ed6894ead7eeb903cf24efae.jpeg

Big Rat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1