Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So it seems that the P0017 code can be caused by a number of things? I’ve got this and I’m determined to track it down. 

Possible causes (according to various threads and users on the forum)-

* faulty sensors

* loose fitting fuel cap

* faulty VVTi solenoid

* broken valve spring

* dirty oil/ filter 

* timing set incorrectly 

* stretched timing chain

I put mine through it’s MOT a couple of days ago and it passed. While driving down the road afterwards, the EML came on. I thought that this might be down to the mechanic removing the filler cap during the MOT and the subsequent loss of pressure. 

I’ve got a pretty big PPI payout on the horizon and thought I might treat the old girl to an engine rebuild/ timing chain replacement. Maybe not though-  just about everyone I’ve spoken to thinks this would be overkill, so so I’m going to explore all other options before replacing the timing chains. 

Any more to add to the list above? 

Well maybe he caused the problem, and checked the fuel cap to see if the seal was intact and then erased the fault, but when you drove out a few miles it came back up again.

I've never known an mot where the mechanic takes the fuel cap off. Sounds fishy to me

I've had exactly this issue before - fuel cap not fitted correctly triggered an EML. Only had it the once, now I make sure the fuel cap is fitted properly and no issues since.

I only get a couple of clicks as well

• Like 1

That’s useful to know. Can I ask did you have to drop the 12v to get rid of it, or did you use software? I see you’re not driving the same model but maybe the same procedure might work for me. I’m going to connect up to “Mr Hybrid” to see if I can clear it rather than disconnecting the Battery

• 3 months later...