Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Digital Rear View Door Mirrors - whats the point?

cruisermark

• 1 month later...

I remember my grandad saying the same about electric windows... Power steering... Central locking... Etc...

They don't get dirty, they adjust to your needs, your speed and surroundings, eliminate blind spots... And remove the need to look over your shoulder so you can keep looking forward... Maybe...

Brilliant I say!

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
I remember my grandad saying the same about electric windows... Power steering... Central locking... Etc... 
They don't get dirty, they adjust to your needs, your speed and surroundings, eliminate blind spots... And remove the need to look over your shoulder so you can keep looking forward... Maybe...

Brilliant I say!

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

They rely on a camera lens which I can assure you does get dirty. The reversing cam in my Gs is hopeless after a long drive in the rain.

There are pluses to power steering but feel and feedback aren’t one of them, and re electric windows good but those who remember the wind down ones remember how finely you can adjust them.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Electronic door mirrors (nearly showed my age by saying "wing mirrors") will doubtless be a fashion thing, if it catches on. The only advantage I can see is it makes a handy supplement for a dashcam, should any sort of blackbox recorder become mandatory. You know, when all those corporate lawyers are trying to sort out litigation in a crash involving an autonomous car...

I know LMP and GT3 cars have been using cameras to replace rear view mirrors for ages. These are augmented with graphics to highlight cars behind and if they are closing or receding. As demonstrated in this video, which if nothing else has a wicked soundtrack:

I imagine how useful this would be on your road car. Red arrow for the drugged-up gym owner in their Range Rover Sport, Amber arrow for the junior 'executive' in their first company car  Audi A3 1.6TDi, Green arrow for any Lexus driver... 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Comedian said:

They should invent an automatic 'use left lane' alert to go with them.

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

Pffft, that would NEVER catch-on....