Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressure Warning Light

The tyre pressure warning light came on today on my 2012  GS450h.   Not sure what system it has, whether it uses TPMS devices or simply uses height sensitive sensors monitoring suspension height.    Checked pressures of course,  2.4 bar or 35 psi but all ok.    Anyone tell me what system my car uses.   Don't have a visual  display option like the LS460 I had for tyre pressures.  Any info/advise  would be appreciated.

Steve   

Steve,

It does use a TPMS device in each wheel. With all tyres at 35psi have you pressed the TPMS set switch under the steering column? The batteries in each sensor are no more than 6 years old so they should be fine for a few more years.

John

Hi John, many thanks for the tip.  I'll try  resetting the TPMS button.     When I look at the actual valve I can see it is  a substantial metal valve with the top of the shaft shaped as a nut, indicative of the TPMS valves I had on the LS.    Service Receptionist at the dealer of 16 years said he believed the GS had a ride height system for detecting loss of pressure in tyres.   So much for the experts.   If it can't be reset by pressing that button I'll ask for this to be looked  at under my extended  warranty.    I've been running the tyres at 2.3.bar or 34 psi for two months now since I bought the car on on the 1st August 2018 so maybe a TPMS sensor has failed.

Thanks John for replying to my post.

SAM_0958.jpg

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

Service Receptionist at the dealer of 16 years said he believed the GS had a ride height system for detecting loss of pressure in tyres.   So much for the experts. 

When I bought my Gen 3 the salesman did not know how to adjust the drivers headrest or how to lock the car with the little black door button. There was probably a lot else he didn't know too.

There is a ride height system but it is used to adjust the headlight aim.

John

1 minute ago, Initial P said:

I've had the cold weather early morning set mine off before only for it all to be good come lunchtime 😉

Of course. Pressure varies with temperature. Cold, light comes on, warm up and it goes off. It needs to be set properly.

On a mild day, say 15 C, and the car having been stationary for at least a couple of hours, inflate the tyres to the pressures you want then press the little button.

John

Thanks everyone for all the info and tips.    I did press the TPMS button under the steering column after setting all the pressures and indeed the light went out and hasn't come back on so far.   Not sure what generation my GS is actually,  registered Sept 2012  and definitely does not have the visual display on the dash between the dials like j8pfc has on his gen 4 GS.   Mine's a Luxury model and I wonder if the visual display mentioned only appears on the Premier GS or does the gen 4 GS differ in many other areas I wonder.

This is what I like about a good forum when another member can just point you in the right direction and make another member aware there is a reset button for tyre pressures.  I might have ended up going 40 miles to my preferred dealer just for them to check the pressures and press a button to get the light off.

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

Not sure what generation my GS is actually

As you have a Luxury model you have a gen 4 GS. Trim levels for gen 3 GS are base, SE, Sport and SE-L. Trim levels for gen 4 are Luxury, F-Sport and Premier.