Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nav Screen Black RX300

My 04 RX300 has been trouble free since I bought it 4 years ago. I love it.

However yesterday I turned on the ignition and the nav screen was blank. The symptoms are :-

When the ignition is turned on, the Lexus Logo comes up, but then it goes blank rather than a screen appearing.

All the switches, clock, display etc beep when pressed.

All the surrounding switches Temp, Auto, Off, Demist etc all work, as does the radio lower section of the  console.

The touch screen itself does respond, as I can remember where some of the touch pads are and can turn off the Air Con for example if touched in the area it should be.

So in summing up, everything works except the actual display itself, so cant be a fuse. I even disconnected the Battery for 45 mins but that did not rectify the problem.

I presume this will necessitate a "new" screen as this may be a circuit board problem.

Any comments or suggestion, confirming or otherwise, would be gratefully received,

Thanks in advance,

David D

Thank you for your interest.

All interior lights working, above the mirror, door strips etc.

Not sure how I can check the screen brightness controls, as are they not displayed on the screen.

I had thought it would have been a "motherboard" failure as my PC monitor comes up with a logo when powered up, even if the computer is not on. Would be delighted to be proved wrong though.

yours hopefully

David D

I did get this once when I selected the "screen off " option on the display menu screen.  I had to go back (hit the display button) and set it back to normal.

If you press the display button the screen off option is at the top right.

As an aside brightness is set by pressing display and then the brightness slider is at the bottom right of the screen.

• Like 1

Thank you Mark,

I pressed display and then the top right corner, it beeped, so I got the correct area, but no change to the black screen. Same thing to the bottom right slide area for brightness, beeps but no screen change,

regards

DD

See the pics attached to this ad, specially the rear view:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-RX-300-RHD-NAVIGATION-SCREEN-DISPLAY-AND-HEATER-CONTROL-86110-48130/253828949581?hash=item3b1962664d:g:Ep8AAOSwQFZbfxlV

If it's a connection issue, only thing that comes to mind is one of the connectors dislodging itself over time (given some previous access/ removal).

Could be a dry point inside - but you've had the car 4 years so this shouldn't really be unless you've spilled/sprayed something on or above the screen recently?

No way of checking unless you get into it - don't know if you feel comfortable opening it up - from what I've seen in videos it's pretty straightforward.

1.  You have tried the good old THUMP to see if it flickers/ rattles/ whatever?  Starting, of course, with lil thumpies first and knowing when to stop!

2.  Take it off and get a repair shop to test the LCD contacts.

10 hours ago, DDow said:

Never thought to check that Colin.

Logo still comes up when ignition is turned on, but when in reverse, screen remains black. (reverse lights work)

Regards

David D

A bit obvious maybe but make sure you reverse the sequence for turning off the screen otherwise you won't know if it's fixed!

Thank you BD, have begun looking at YouTube videos for how to remove the radio and screen. The most difficult bit seems to avoid dropping the bolts down the dark  cavity under the unit. I will have a go at removal shortly, but I am tempted to buy a "new" screen from the Bay, so I can substitute at the same time. Plug it in before a fully replace everything, to see if it works. If it is Ok I might then have someone look at my connections as, if it is repairable, I will have something to sell on.

Thank you Phil, I did look at that. I think the default mode at start up is screen on, as we would all be in a pickle if we turned it off and forgot on restarting. Might be wrong on that one.

Happy to receive any further suggestions if it might stop me carrying out a transplant,

regards

David D

I have just ordered this, see attached picture, for £200 from Lithuania. I have had stuff from them before and they have been fine, we will see.

Should arrive next week. From pictures it seems quite straight forward to swop over the surround, so I will give it a go next week when I have a day to myself in case it is a bit more problematical than it appears.

I will post the outcome soon after.

Any comments still gratefully received,

Regards

David D

Sat Nav.JPG

• Like 1

The screen arrived this morning from Eastern Europe, in good condition and as described. I have not had a problem with supply of good second hand parts from Lithuania

I watched the video of removing the radio and Nav screen units just to make sure, and in fact it was quite easy, some of the cables to the back of the units were a bit short, so a bit fiddly in places. Once the cigar lighter console is out of the way, put a tea towel under the radio, pushed fully to the back in case one of the 10mm bolts does drop on removal.

The surround buttons and air vents come off the old screen unit, once out of the car, after removing 13 easily accessible screws, all in one , just lifting out after disconnecting the two lateral cables.

Replacement is just the reverse, a bit fiddly but quite easy really.

I put it all back in and it worked first time, except I could get no radio stations. I had plugged everything in except the aerial connection !

So now I have a fully working screen for a £200 outlay and a few hours of my time.

I am pleased with that. Dread to think what Lexus would have charged.

Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. It helps to focus the mind on the likely cause and solution to the problem.

Regards

David D

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, DDow said:

The screen arrived this morning from Eastern Europe, in good condition and as described. I have not had a problem with supply of good second hand parts from Lithuania

I watched the video of removing the radio and Nav screen units just to make sure, and in fact it was quite easy, some of the cables to the back of the units were a bit short, so a bit fiddly in places. Once the cigar lighter console is out of the way, put a tea towel under the radio, pushed fully to the back in case one of the 10mm bolts does drop on removal.

The surround buttons and air vents come off the old screen unit, once out of the car, after removing 13 easily accessible screws, all in one , just lifting out after disconnecting the two lateral cables.

Replacement is just the reverse, a bit fiddly but quite easy really.

I put it all back in and it worked first time, except I could get no radio stations. I had plugged everything in except the aerial connection !

So now I have a fully working screen for a £200 outlay and a few hours of my time.

I am pleased with that. Dread to think what Lexus would have charged.

Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions. It helps to focus the mind on the likely cause and solution to the problem.

Regards

David D

Excellent result, well done!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DDow said:

... Once the cigar lighter console is out of the way, put a tea towel under the radio, pushed fully to the back in case one of the 10mm bolts does drop on removal.

Simples!  

Great news.  I think just the parts alone would've been easily a few times £200.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links