Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Emptying Door Mirrors

Kremmen

I have noted on 2 occasions now that when I wash the car the door mirror housings collect quite a lot of water.

The result is that when I climb the first hill it deposits the contents down the doors :(

Anyone got a ploy ?

I have noted on 2 occasions now that when I wash the car the door mirror housings collect quite a lot of water.

The result is that when I climb the first hill it deposits the contents down the doors :(

Anyone got a ploy ?

try opening & shuting the doors a few times before drying the car - normally gets most of it out -- other than that dont drive the car for a few hours after washing so it drys up :winky:

Anyone got a ploy ?

Run the edge of a chamois around between the mirror and mirror housing to soak up the excess water. Works fine for me :D

stephenc Posted on Feb 20 2004, 01:33 PM

Run the edge of a chamois around between the mirror and mirror housing to soak up the excess water. Works fine for me 

O i forgot, thats what I do. 1 Tip make sure the mirrors are clean clean clean, dont want no dirt on the chamios.

Scorpion Posted on Feb 20 2004, 11:47 AM

Airline from local petrol station. 

cheapstake :whistling:

I bet that you wash the car when it is parked on a slope, probably nose end facing downhill

Nope - absolutely level - see the piccy of it against the brick wall - that's where it gets the hosing down.

I'm going to try the Vax ploy - I've got an old Vax wet & dry vacuum in the garage, I'll try and suck it out :o

Dont have claws....just a stung in the tail :winky:

You cheeky g*t raz :P

Just messing pete,

thought you was the club bully :blink:

I was very close to getting a ken green sport with cream interior, but went for mine in the end because it was black B)

anyways wouldnt the water drip out by the time you got to the petrol station?

How about some sort of mini pump?

Washed again yesterday (in the freezing cold I know) - and investigated :

The mirrors already have little holes drilled in the base which does not appear to be the problem as they are draining OK.

There are also drilled holes in the black plastic base units that hold the mirrors to the doors and this seems to be where the water is coming from for quite some time afterwards.

I've pushed a pipe cleaner up and it only goes about a quarter of an inch and yet about 10 minutes later it starts dribbling water down the doors again :(

The fact that no-one else seems to have this problem - is it a new addition to the 2004 models where this area is also vented ?

not having this problem on my LS400, i've asked myself what i would do if i did - how about you carefully clean the mirrors FIRST, using minimal amount of water or just a damp cloth, then stick a plastic bag completely over each mirror with masking tape? remove bag and tape after car is dry. if this doesn't work, tell me where to go!!