Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

F-Up The Peaks & Dales - Simplified Route Planner

Hey all.

Back from the hospital to pick up supplies!

Did this last night so I hope it will come in useful tomorrow. It's basically a simplified route planner broken down into the 3 Legs of the journey. Should be simpler to follow than the other ones as I've removed a lot of the unecessary "waffle"!.

Hope you all have a great time tomorrow! :yahoo:

LEG-1 - Aiming to leave at 10:30 - Lexus Derby, Orient Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8BY

Duffield (T)

Milford (T)

Belper (T)

Ambergate (T)

Whatstandwell (T)

Cromford (T)

Matlock Bath (T)

Matlock – (P)

Darley Dale (T)

Rowsley (T)

Bakewell (T)

Ashford in the Water (P)

Brushfield (P)

Taddington (P)

Blackwell (P)

King Sterndale (P)

Buxton - Follow signs for Parking near the Opera House and Pavilion Gardens.

The Opera House is straight on over a few roundabouts then up a short hill past the train station (on your right) before heading down a short decline with the Opera House in front of you

Please park up near the Opera House – We are due to arrive here at about 12:15 and we have 2 hours or so here for lunch

LEG-2 - Aiming to leave at about 14:15 - Buxton

Fairfield (T)

Dove Holes (T)

A6 towards Chapel-En-Le-Frith and Castleton

Take a right at the roundabout (the first one after we’ve gone through Dove Holes)

Onto the A623 towards Castleton

IMPORTANT - Along the A623 take a sharp left at “The Wanted” Pub towards Speedwell Cavern and Blue John Cavern - IGNORE green sign saying that Castleton is to the right

Peak Cavern (P)

RIGHT at the junction (on the bend) for Castleton, NOT left towards Blue John Cavern

Winnats Pass (T)

Castelton (T)

Hope (T)

Bamford (T)

Hathersage (T) - Awesome views over your right shoulder all along here

Millstone Country Inn on your right (P)

Then round a long sweeping walled left hand bend and take the next sharp left up a slight incline towards Ringinglow - Awesome views over your left shoulder all along here

Striding Edge - Not signposted (P)

You’ll know you’re approaching Ringinglow as you’ll see views of Sheffield in the distance on the left, as soon as you see houses and the 30 signs that’s Ringinglow although there are no actual “Ringinglow” signs – Immediate left turn here just after the 30 signs

If you pass the Norfolk Arms Hotel (big car park on the left) in Ringinglow you’ve missed the left turn onto Fullwood Lane, so turn around and head back!!

Continue down Fullwood Lane

Mayfield Alpacas (P)

Very sharp right-hand bend up ahead

IMPORTANT - The next 2 miles or so includes some pretty narrow B-Roads, winding downhill off camber corners and sheep in the road so please take care.

After the sharp right hand bend take the second right onto Andwell Lane - you can’t see the sign for Andwell Lane it until you are on it but it’s immediately after Greenhouse Lane

Next turn is quite a way along here and is Ieft onto Blackbrook Road - Small triangular junction

Continue to and over crossroads with Redmires Road onto Lodge Lane

Follow Lodge Lane down more steep stuff to the T-Junction onto Manchester Road (This is the A57 Snake Pass) at Rivelin (Not signposted)

Head West (left turn) onto the A57 (Snake Pass) towards Manchester

Hollow Meadows (T)

Ladybower Inn - Stop

We are due to arrive here at about 15:30

We should all be in convoy but if you hit the traffic lights at the corner of the reservoir you’ve gone slightly too far! The Inn is about 100 metres back up the road you’ve just come down.  If you’ve not missed it then you’ll easily spot The Inn on the right as the car park (on the left) will be full of F-Cars!

We’ll stop here for refreshments and toilet break before the last leg of the journey. Let’s take 45 minutes to an hour here before we head off

LEG-3 - Aiming to leave at about 16:30 – Ladybower Inn

All the way along the A57 towards Glossop

Glossop (T - Outskirts)

Left Turn at the Train station junction – You’ll see The Howard Arms on the right (before the junction), followed by Lloyds bank on the left (on the junction) and The Norfolk Arms diagonally opposite Lloyds on the right

Howard Town Shopping centre (P)

Little Hayfield (T) Great views around here

Hayfield (T) - Two Speed Cameras opposite each other!

Chinley (T) - Left at the T-Junction under the railway bridge at Chinley

Left at the next roundabout

Right at second roundabout towards Buxton

Follow A6 back to Buxton via Dove Holes – We drove the opposite way down this bit of road just after lunch

Buxton – Stop

We can park by the Opera House again to say farewell to the day trippers or head straight to the Premier In at the following address;

131 London Rd, Buxton SK17 9NW - 0871 527 9682

ENJOY!!!!!

:tomcat:

• Like 1

Morning all

Been up most of the night whilst my two year old re-enacted the scene from the excercist! So I’m just gona meet you in Buxton for legs 2 and 3 as it’s only an hour ish away from me.

Hopefully 10 plus F’s won’t be hard to spot or hear coming as I’ll likely be there before you, but if someone wants to pm time their phone number that might also help.

Famous last words been looping Buxton for an hour without a sniff of an F. I know it pretty well and I’ve checked all the main car parks 😝

Guessing this stop is happening either really early or really late. Having a swift half in the sun then going to try and do the route myself...wish me luck!!

1 hour ago, C.B said:

Famous last words been looping Buxton for an hour without a sniff of an F. I know it pretty well and I’ve checked all the main car parks 😝

Guessing this stop is happening either really early or really late. Having a swift half in the sun then going to try and do the route myself...wish me luck!!

Good luck mate! I think they were due to leave by 14:30 at the latest so guessing they've left a bit earlier.

The leg from Buxton is my favourite bit so hope you enjoy it too!

Arr that may explain why I lost you all, I arrived in Buxton went past the train station and couldn’t find anyone in the town but then saw the orange german car and an ISF behind it. I saw them turn right at the roundabout back towards the station but they had disappeared by the time I had turned around.

I also searched the car parks and had the windows down in the hope of hearing one of you but then decided to park up on the A6 just up the hill from Wetherspoons waiting for you to come past....I waited until 3.00pm so guess you went out another way.

Nevermind it was still nice to see you all at Lexus Derby and I took the A515 and Via Gellia on the way back as a change.

• Like 2

Hi all it was great to meet you all.

Perfect weather stunning scenery & some cracking roads.

Sorry for my tardy departure without saying goodbye but unfortunately I got a call as we left Ladybower that my very elderly father in law had been taken Ill.

Hope you all have nice evening & a great day tomorrow👍🏻

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, DAW said:

Hi all it was great to meet you all.

Perfect weather stunning scenery & some cracking roads.

Sorry for my tardy departure without saying goodbye but unfortunately I got a call as we left Ladybower that my very elderly father in law had been taken Ill.

Hope you all have nice evening & a great day tomorrow👍🏻

No worries mate, hope he’s ok..... 😔

As others have said, shame we had some issues early on trying to keep the group together, but it wasn’t a total flop! 😂

Great to put some faces to names, and with no Dan and his walkie-talkies, we did struggle.

I’d say you need groups of 5, and a group leader who can make sure his group stay together. We regrouped as a 5 or 6 after leaving Derby, and stayed together the whole time to Ladybower Inn. Opera house was a flop as the first group that got there found it was rammed solid with no parking etc.

Weather was truly amazing for this time of year. Had some breathtaking views, and we enjoyed a quiet dinner at the Thyme bar and grill here at Premier Inn. 

Huge thanks to Dan for his help organising what I hope will be the first of many fun road trips with my Lexus family. 👍😎

Cheers all,

Pete 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Peter P18 said:

No worries mate, hope he’s ok..... 😔

As others have said, shame we had some issues early on trying to keep the group together, but it wasn’t a total flop! 😂

Great to put some faces to names, and with no Dan and his walkie-talkies, we did struggle.

I’d say you need groups of 5, and a group leader who can make sure his group stay together. We regrouped as a 5 or 6 after leaving Derby, and stayed together the whole time to Ladybower Inn. Opera house was a flop as the first group that got there found it was rammed solid with no parking etc.

Weather was truly amazing for this time of year. Had some breathtaking views, and we enjoyed a quiet dinner at the Thyme bar and grill here at Premier Inn. 

Huge thanks to Dan for his help organising what I hope will be the first of many fun road trips with my Lexus family. 👍😎

Cheers all,

Pete 😊

Hey Pete, thanks for posting! Yep I think what you've said sounds right, smaller sub-groups with a group leader (and walkie talkie holder!) Who's got a decent grasp of the overall route.

Key end locations for each leg in the satnav helped me first time round too, just in case you get fully lost. Defo think the walkie talkies would help so we can still communicate even if we do get separated. Saw a BMW M-Car group in convoy through France with them a month ago and couldn't believe I'd not though of them before!!

I'll start planning the next one soon, Spring 2019 I'd have thought given we're heading into snow and ice season.

Hope you all had a great time anyway, what was the total count of F-Cars in the end? Can't remember what the previous record was? 14 at the last RAF meet I think. I hope we beat that.

Loving all the pics that have been posted and wishing I'd been there!

Long live the F's!!

• Like 1

@Peter P18thanks Pete he’s doing ok - these things are to be expected when your only a few months away from your 90th.

Was surprised to see you all parked up after leaving Ladybower - was it for photos?

Hope you all had a fun evening & good journeys home via some great roads 👍🏻

@NothernDan Dan hope your wife & son are doing well.  Thanks again for all the work you put in choosing some stunning roads. Combination of perfect weather & autumn colours was just amazing. Have driven the Buxton/Glossop/Snake Pass section in the past but hadn’t travelled the roads south of there before so had no idea how spectacular they were. Will definitely being doing that again. 👍🏻

It was good to meet so many people & see so many F’s together yesterday.  I thought Lexus Derby did a great job making us feel very welcome.  There were bound to be hiccups with such a large group TBO. It’s difficult enough staying together in smalll convoys so I expected it to break into smaller groups anyway.  Thought I had planned for that by programming the whole route in the satnav so I didn’t miss any of the roads chosen, except I hadn’t tested how well that actually worked before hand Drrrr!! -  so loosing the group then arriving late was entirely my own fault 🙄

Never mind at least I now know what not to do in future & got to drive some amazing roads that were not on the itinerary. Also got to at least do the Winnet’s Pass route on the way back to Buxton with @Big Rat & @Warrington guy which was just brilliant 👍🏻

• Like 4

Very dissapointing weekend from my point of view.

Lost you all and never got a chance to catch up as I didn't have anyones phone number - my fault for not asking I suppose but if the planned itinery is thrown out of the window then there was no chance for me.

I did see you guys leaving the ladybower inn but I knew that Snake pass was closed so there was no point in turning round and trying to follow as I wouldn't have had a clue where you were going. 

• Sad 3

Sounds like it was generally a success, which is great.

On the subject of radios, I think they are a must for everyone, they are cheap and allow the group to stay together, make safe overtakes , warn each other of hazards etc, The runs I have taken part in or organised with other members on here have always used radios and proved invaluable, we have also found once you get more than 6-7 cars it becomes harder to control, keep people together, find suitable parking and the group starts to fragment with people splitting into smaller groups and the agenda goes out the window, anyway happy planning for the next one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Lost you all and never got a chance to catch up as I didn't have anyones phone number - my fault for not asking I suppose but if the planned itinery is thrown out of the window then there was no chance for me.

I did see you guys leaving the ladybower inn but I knew that Snake pass was closed so there was no point in turning round and trying to follow as I wouldn't have had a clue where you were going. 

Was really gutted for you Bob, given how far you had traveled to join us,

Definitely,  as a lessons learnt for next time, we need some better method of communication, radios would be my preference given how cheap they are, but at a very minimum a WhatsApp Group

• Like 1

Thanks for all the posts guys! Did I hear right that Snake Pass was closed! That will have scuppered the plans a bit!

So sad that @bobmc had such misfortune. Gutted for you mate ☹️.

Will definitely be doing radios for the next one and taking everyone's points on board. The next one will run much slicker.

Keep posting everyone, keen to see more pics and get more feedback.

@DAW I hope your father in law(?) is ok and recovering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

Hi Bob it was great to meet you both & really sorry you made the run from Buxton to Ladybower only to see us leave. I hope the run at least was an enjoyable one - I made a right hash of it after leaving you at Buxton. Hopefully it will be more successful for us both another time.👍🏻

• Like 3

Have to say Dan you planning was awesome, between us we made a bit of a hash  of it, but when we decided to do our own thing, we followed your route in reverse and it was awesome, by this time the sun was just starting to set, combined with the autumn leaves it was breath taking, so thank you so much

really looking forward to the next one!!

• Like 3