Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all,

Just a quick update to say that my 220d has moved on to a friend of mine as I have purchased a newer Lexus.

So, a quick look back at my time with the much maligned diesel.

I had the IS for just under 3 and a half years and in that time I managed roughly 35,000 miles.  In typical Lexus fashion, my trusty steed didn't leave me stranded once the whole time.  In fact, the Check VSC light only came on once, and that resolved itself without any help from me.

It did (in fact does) have an extended warranty for the duration of my ownership and it certainly paid off.  Although, a lot of items that were required were things that are relatively simple to fix, easily avoided with basic maintenance or ignorable altogether.

In the 3.5 years, the following was replaced under extended warranty:

Dual Mass flywheel - Not exactly something you can diy fix, but hardly a Lexus specific issue.

3 x brake calipers - Sticky slide pins that a bit of grease would have prevented, but I admit I didn't bother because I preferred the idea of getting new ones.

2 x wing mirrors - Not lowering properly in reverse.  Again, something simple that can be rectified with little difficulty.  Especially with the excellent guide IS200 Newbie has produced.

Drivers seat - I am still amazed by the fact that this was replaced under warranty on what was a 9 year old car.  A new frame shipped over from Japan to replace one that turned out to have nothing wrong with it other than being worn out.

Ride height sensor - During the last service it was noted that one of the sensors was seized.  Not a big job, but covered under warranty nonetheless.

As you can see, nothing wrong with the EGR value, DPF or 5th injector...I think that is down to the fact that I regularly did longer motorway journeys where I kept the revs up for a reasonable duration.  That and the fact that I cleaned the EGR valve before it got clogged up.

I genuinely loved my time in my diesel Lexus and was quite sad to see it go.  It is going to be hard seeing it being driven by someone else.  It is now chugging along as good as ever at 10 years old and 145,000 miles.  Hopefully the car will serve my friend as faithfully as it did me.

So why did I sell it?  Simple; I was in the financial situation for an upgrade and I didn't want to change my own gears anymore.

As for its replacement, a post in the GS section, containing the obligatory pictures, will be incoming shortly :smile: 

• Like 4

That's a nice account of ownership of a 220d.

Good to hear of a happy customer with the diesel Lexus. You have always been positive about the 220d and given good advice to other owners. Your presence will be missed greatly.

Enjoy your Auto GS ... I have little doubt you will ...I was much the same when I moved from the 220d to my 250 Auto.

• Like 2