Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey chaps,

A bit of an update, but unfortunately, not a positive one.

Had to car looked over at Lexus Reading (brilliant service, as always) and they noticed that all 4 wheels were in a bit of a state.  I should have had a closer look myself when I got the car but I got a bit carried away and was short on time so stupidly didn't.  This is a sample of what I found today:

20181005_155207.thumb.jpg.53ed0614b6c049219e180ba6651eb9f7.jpg20181005_155246.thumb.jpg.c41028c28da3c9c47b64018822125bb9.jpg20181005_155252.thumb.jpg.9121cc945d786599fa88942d114ffec2.jpg20181005_155258.thumb.jpg.05747824594741b2fa7d6f9c1ccf5cdc.jpg

One of the tyres also has a cut in it:

20181005_155338.thumb.jpg.e8f4772f93771713d91d9a5b62943c8f.jpg

Not a failure as such, but perhaps not what I would expect when buying a car from a main dealer.  (Or am I being unreasonable?).

There are also a couple of other issues that need looking at, but I will wait and see what happens before mentioning those.

To be fair to Lexus Sidcup, I called them and within half an hour I had a call to ask me about the problems, which they have said they will resolve.  As such, the car is booked to go in on the 24th (the earliest they can do it) for collection the following Saturday.  Somewhat annoying consider it is a 3 hour round trip for me to do twice in one week, but I can understand why the dealership would like it back with them.

So, watch this space for what will hopefully be a good resolution. 

Sorry to read this Shahpour.

Whilst it is not good news,it is not really bad news.You have bought a Lexus from a Main Dealer and they should accept their responsibilities honourably.

Ask for a loan car for the duration of their attending to matters.

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Sorry to read this Shahpour.

Whilst it is not good news,it is not really bad news.You have bought a Lexus from a Main Dealer and they should accept their responsibilities honourably.

Ask for a loan car for the duration of their attending to matters.

Good luck.

Yes, a loan car should be offered as a matter of course I would think.

Thanks chaps.

Yes, they have already offered me either an NX or RX for the duration.  They are adamant that it will be resolved in the time frame specified, but since it is a long journey, I am going to insist on it being resolved in one visit if they say they can't, regardless of how long I have to keep their loan car.

The alternative, which I have already offered, is that they allow Lexus Reading to do the work.  Since they are both part of the Jemca group, I would think this is possible.

We will see I suppose.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 10:35 PM, Shahpor said:

It is a shame that the ACC isn't fitted to mine.  I borrowed an IS with it fitted a few times and it was quite useful.

I couldn't possibly comment on where I might have accelerated hard to more than 5 seconds :smile:

Really?  If the seats can be made to stay on, that would be great.  Although I assume the dealer would charge an extortionate amount to actually change it?

I have a GS 300h premier and the seats stay hot all the time if not set to auto.

Great looking car Shahpor. I actually have the 2012 version same colour but "Luxury" trim.

Fantastic car and I've now driven just over 30k miles. 

You will definitely get over the drone noise and gearbox issue. It took me couple of months to get used to it but as someone said previously because it goes so fast you don't end up leaving your foot on the accelerator long enough for the drone to become an issue! 

I still to this day love the torque and acceleration from traffic lights. It often shocks all the BMW drivers in the next lane!

I agree that the heated seats are not amazing but considering the AC system is more than adequate I've learnt to live with it.

You will appreciate how nice the seats are when you next sit in a non lexus car.

Other thing I would mention is that the TPMS sensors are quite delicate so when changing tyres make sure you go with a good independent or just got to lexus and price match otherwise I find garages that are unfamiliar with lexus end up breaking the TPMS stalks.

Hi Hashim,

Thanks very much.  Despite being the same colour, do you have any pictures of yours you would like to share? :smile:

Appreciate the tip regarding the TPMS sensors.  This is actually the first car I have ever owned with them fitted, so I will be sure to select a good garage when the time comes.  Having said that, I have found the main dealers surprisingly competitive on pricing, so I may well end up just leaving it to them.

The acceleration is impressive, but the bigger problem that I have is that it is very addictive :smile:  I happily cruised around in my IS (didn't have much choice!), but the GS has turned me into somewhat of a hooligan.  Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon, if for no other reason then the alarming rate it drinks fuel when you put your foot down.

Funnily enough, the front passengers seat on mine appears to get warmer then the drivers one.  Not sure why.  At least I managed to adjust the settings yesterday to make the seat heater stay on rather then the car deciding to turn it off by itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Hi Hashim,

Thanks very much.  Despite being the same colour, do you have any pictures of yours you would like to share? :smile:

Appreciate the tip regarding the TPMS sensors.  This is actually the first car I have ever owned with them fitted, so I will be sure to select a good garage when the time comes.  Having said that, I have found the main dealers surprisingly competitive on pricing, so I may well end up just leaving it to them.

The acceleration is impressive, but the bigger problem that I have is that it is very addictive :smile:  I happily cruised around in my IS (didn't have much choice!), but the GS has turned me into somewhat of a hooligan.  Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon, if for no other reason then the alarming rate it drinks fuel when you put your foot down.

Funnily enough, the front passengers seat on mine appears to get warmer then the drivers one.  Not sure why.  At least I managed to adjust the settings yesterday to make the seat heater stay on rather then the car deciding to turn it off by itself.

Shahpor what mpg are you getting so far? I get 36-38mpg but I tend do not drive fast, well, sometimes I like a quick get away! 🙂

Vlad, I have just refilled after my first tank.  It is perhaps not the best example of what the car will do since I have 'explored' the potential of the car more than I would probably do normally.

Anyway, the car ended up doing 34mpg.

I did reset the average mpg gauge during one trip to work and back, which is roughly 15 miles of A roads and town driving each way, and the result was 39mpg.

I am hoping for high 30's, but that would require some restraint which I am not sure is possible for me now :smile:

A quick blast on the way home today saw the mpg reading hit 10mpg briefly! :ohmy:

• Haha 1

Definitely isn't bad consider the size of the engine and the weight of the car.

The car has Michelin Primacy's on it at the moment I believe.  I will have to check the exact variant next time I go out.

I am not sure if it is the tyres but there seems to be quite a bit of road noise, so perhaps if anyone has any experience with the Michelins they can let me know if they have noticed the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry Shahpor, I had a chuckle at this.  You've now progressed from an IS220D where the engine drowned any possibility of hearing road noise.  Now you have close to silent progress, you're having a moan about road noise. 😉

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Definitely isn't bad consider the size of the engine and the weight of the car.

The car has Michelin Primacy's on it at the moment I believe.  I will have to check the exact variant next time I go out.

I am not sure if it is the tyres but there seems to be quite a bit of road noise, so perhaps if anyone has any experience with the Michelins they can let me know if they have noticed the same thing.

I use Dunlop sportmaxx and have no problems with road noise.

20 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Sorry Shahpor, I had a chuckle at this.  You've now progressed from an IS220D where the engine drowned any possibility of hearing road noise.  Now you have close to silent progress, you're having a moan about road noise. 😉

You're right, the GS is throwing up all sorts of new problems!  Damn them for making it so quiet! :smile:

Perhaps, as John says, it is simply the roads around here, but I swear that it is a bit more intrusive then maybe it should be.

I had nothing but Dunlop's on my old IS (Sportsmaxx on the front, SP Sport's on the rear) and really liked them so I might revert when these are due to be changed.

Or I will just put my foot down and let the V6 drown out any other noises :smile:

7 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

You're right, the GS is throwing up all sorts of new problems!  Damn them for making it so quiet! :smile:

Perhaps, as John says, it is simply the roads around here, but I swear that it is a bit more intrusive then maybe it should be.

I had nothing but Dunlop's on my old IS (Sportsmaxx on the front, SP Sport's on the rear) and really liked them so I might revert when these are due to be changed.

Or I will just put my foot down and let the V6 drown out any other noises :smile:

You can hear the engine?

John

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

Or, you can listen to the final movement of the 1812 Overture and say sod to road noise!

You are becoming too discerning young man!!

22 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

You can hear the engine?

John

Of course.  When you boot it there is a nice rumble as it stirs to life.

13 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Or, you can listen to the final movement of the 1812 Overture and say sod to road noise!

You are becoming too discerning young man!!

Been a long time since someone called me young man :smile:

You are right though; my solution at the moment is to basically turn the stereo up and waft.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shahpor said:

They are certainly not sorted on mine.  Got a couple of creaks from the dash but nothing too bad, especially consider it is 5 years old.

That's really surprising considering the well documented problems with the gen 3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The question was about your car Vlad !!   :):):)

lol! :)

It took me some time to realised what you mean John! It does sound like it, ups! 

Correction: My GS is very quite inside and does not have any creaks or rattles, probably being 35k miles helps so far.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links