Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Adam,

Would it be this one?

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-250/25-Luxury-pbbuwke

Overall I would say that Lexus Sidcup did well, but not without some effort.

Firstly, their car prep wasn't great and a lot of issues went unnoticed during its pre delivery inspections.

However, the aftercare I received to rectify those problems was very good, although a little prompting was still necessary.

Bradley Smith (Used car manager) and Aidan Murphy (Aftersales manager) were particularly helpful in getting my car sorted.

So, the general impression I got was that, despite the poor preparation, they will go to great lengths to ensure the car is of a good standard if anything is amiss.

One final thought is that I am very glad I bought it from the main dealer, especially when you consider the grief I might have endured if I had bought this car elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Hi Adam,

Would it be this one?

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-250/25-Luxury-pbbuwke

Overall I would say that Lexus Sidcup did well, but not without some effort.

Firstly, their car prep wasn't great and a lot of issues went unnoticed during its pre delivery inspections.

However, the aftercare I received to rectify those problems was very good, although a little prompting was still necessary.

Bradley Smith (Used car manager) and Aidan Murphy (Aftersales manager) were particularly helpful in getting my car sorted.

So, the general impression I got was that, despite the poor preparation, they will go to great lengths to ensure the car is of a good standard if anything is amiss.

One final thought is that I am very glad I bought it from the main dealer, especially when you consider the grief I might have endured if I had bought this car elsewhere.

Yes that's it. Even though its nearly 7 years old, should be pretty fresh still with that low mileage. Have already spoken to them about the marks on the wheels of which they did say would be resolved. Still seems a tad pricey even though they've dropped it by £200 today. Don't think bigger petrol engined cars are selling very quickly these days. Would expect something like that to not give any reliability issues at all and only require servicing. May be worth playing the waiting game and awaiting further reduction in January when things really slow down. 

Would insist on a Battery change if it hasn't been done already too. 

Glad they were decent in the end. 

Thanks Shahpor. 

Adam, in case you haven't read this entire thread, make sure you check any work they do to the wheels very carefully.

Other than that, it looks pretty tidy, with the added bonus of a better colour interior than mine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Battery, but make sure it has a full Lexus history before you make the trip.  Again, as you can read on this thread, don't just assume that it has one since apparently it is not a requirement for it to be sold at a main dealer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 7:30 PM, superatticman said:

Hi Shahpor

How did you find Lexus Sidcup overall??

There's a low mileage GS250 there I'm planning on taking a look at. Am just across London but its one of those pig of a journeys which I've deferred a few times. Maybe a bit over priced for a 2012 but I'll haggle. 

cheers

It's a nice car they have - lovely colour scheme inside and out. If I hadn't bought my car - I would buy their car. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Shahpor said:

Thanks Les :smile:

What spec was yours? Mine is so adjustable that even after 2 weeks I am still tweaking it to my liking :smile:

Mine was Luxury Spec and it was a 2015 so had the heated/ventilated front seats and the rear cross traffic warning. It also had the ML sound system. I never stopped tweaking the seats, but as I drive around 500 miles a week that is no surprise.

I'm sure you will love your car as they just waft along. A set of Michelin Primacy 4 tyres mad a huge difference to the handling and ride comfort.

Well I have been following this thread with a lot of intrest I have a gs 450 SE L and quite happy with it  but this as got me hooked I think i fancy a Mk 4 I have seen one online at  Lexus reading and am tempted to go and have a look but I keep thinking mine is in perfect condition and as never put a foot wrong all the time I have had it why change for the sake of it as it as all the toys except SR and ACC

1 As any one dealt with Reading and do they give a good Part Ex

2 Which is the Higher Spec Luxury or Premier

the one there is Premier

Thanks

Robert

On 10/10/2018 at 11:33 PM, Shahpor said:

Definitely isn't bad consider the size of the engine and the weight of the car.

The car has Michelin Primacy's on it at the moment I believe.  I will have to check the exact variant next time I go out.

I am not sure if it is the tyres but there seems to be quite a bit of road noise, so perhaps if anyone has any experience with the Michelins they can let me know if they have noticed the same thing.

I put Michelin Primacy 4s on my GS 300h and they were amazingly quiet compared to the OE Dunlops. Much gripper too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KayCee said:

Well I have been following this thread with a lot of intrest I have a gs 450 SE L and quite happy with it  but this as got me hooked I think i fancy a Mk 4 I have seen one online at  Lexus reading and am tempted to go and have a look but I keep thinking mine is in perfect condition and as never put a foot wrong all the time I have had it why change for the sake of it as it as all the toys except SR and ACC

I too had brief thoughts about going to a Mk 4. My 2007 SE-L is not in perfect condition but it does have SR and ACC. Why ACC was made an option on the later Mk 3s and on all Mk 4s is a mystery to me. It is fitted to other (lower cost) models in the Lexus range so why not the GS450h?

The Reading one looks good but the extra cash I would need would pay for a lot of repairs so I have given up looking.

John

3 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Why ACC was made an option on the later Mk 3s and on all Mk 4s is a mystery to me.

I can only think that it became an option due to cost cutting as it was originally standard fit on the Mk3 450h SE-L before became an option (for approx. £3500.00 I believe) only available on this trim level after the 2008 facelift. When the Mk4 was introduced in 2012 it was offered as an option only on the Premier spec. However, I believe it became standard fitment again when the Mk4 was facelifted circa 2015 on both the Premier and F-Sport spec but the luxury spec was dropped at this point.

10 hours ago, KayCee said:

1 As any one dealt with Reading and do they give a good Part Ex

2 Which is the Higher Spec Luxury or Premier

the one there is Premier

Thanks

Robert

Is it this one?

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-Premier-hkbu4yr

If so, then it looks very nice.  My preferred colour combo is this black with cream leather spec.

My only dealing with Lexus Reading have been in the service department and I can tell you that they are very good.  Although, as a rule, I would say that no dealer gives a good part ex.

Thanks to the PDF supplied by @ColinBarber you can see what is included in each spec.  I do wonder where he gets all this good info from. :smile:

I agree that Lexus' specification choices are somewhat strange.  First, there are the little touches that weren't even available, such as the illuminated kick plates that my old SE-L IS had as standard.  A small but nice little addition that wouldn't have cost much.  However, my biggest annoyance is the lack of HUD on mine when it was standard on the same years GS300h!  I would actually find it pretty useful to have, and as far as I am aware, it wasn't even an option.  Now I know that the 450h was released at the same time as the GS250, which also didn't have it, but since the interior of the 300 and 450 appear to be very similar (or perhaps identical), it should have been feasible to add it to both models at the same time?

Anyway, rant over :smile:

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

However, my biggest annoyance is the lack of HUD on mine when it was standard on the same years GS300h!  I would actually find it pretty useful to have, and as far as I am aware, it wasn't even an option.  Now I know that the 450h was released at the same time as the GS250, which also didn't have it, but since the interior of the 300 and 450 appear to be very similar (or perhaps identical), it should have been feasible to add it to both models at the same time?

It's not even a case of needing a retro-fit as HUD was an option in other countries at launch of the series IV. Not sure why Lexus GB left it out, they even blogged about it as a feature before the vehicle was released - I guess it was to hit a desired price point or to hold things back to make the facelift more attractive in 3 years time 😞

I wouldn't say it is an essential feature but I find it very useful and would probably pay extra to have it on my next vehicle. It's the same with many features, once you have it, it is then difficult to go without.

3 minutes ago, i-s said:

Errrr.... hate to say this, but our 450h has HUD... but it is a 2015. 

I hate you even more now....

But seriously,  I thought they were all the same from 2013 till 2016 when the facelift came in?

Hence unicorn....

On my thread, have a look at the interior picture I posted, you'll see the reflection of the hud projector in the windscreen. 

1 hour ago, KayCee said:

Hi Shapor

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-Premier-hkbu4yr?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

yes thats the one

i believe they dont have the touch screen but a mouse gizmo are they ok to geton with

Robert

They do have a strange spec on that site for this car, apart from Touch Screen, Lexus has Water Repellent front windows (???), fabric trim (???), 10 Speakers? I though Premier comes with 15 or 17 off with ML, I am not a fun of adverts that are showing false information.

About the car, It is a nice example and a great colour combination, I like a lot cream leather on darker body colours!

• Like 1

I don't take much notice of the spec listings on the site since, like you say, there are some strange things going on.

Robert, you would be hard pressed to touch the screen considering how far away it is :smile:

Personally, I like the little mouse thing but I know some don't.  It snaps to the nearest location on screen, so it isn't hard to select what you want.  You can even adjust the tension on the travel of the mouse if the sensitively isn't to your liking.

The only thing I would say it is lacking is a dedicated button to press to select items.  The facelift cars have an Enter button on the sides of the wrist rest for this reason.  Why it would be handy is that sometimes when I press the mouse down to select something, it moves before it registers the click.  A small thing that is easy to work around, but I assume it was recognised as a potential issue hence the button on the newer cars.

• Like 2

I wonder if the difficulty drivers have with the mouse in a RHD car is because they are right handed. All the skills we have with computer mice in the right hand have to be relearnt in the left hand.

Any left handed drivers care to comment?

John

That's an interesting possibility. 

Handedness is a funny thing - I'm right handed, and in general find myself somewhat klutzy with my left - I can't write legibly with it. However, when doing fine SMD soldering (I'm an electronic engineer) the reverse is true - I have the soldering iron in my right, and do the fine positioning with my SMD tweezers in my left. The finer motor skill is in the left hand in that case. It's a matter of conditioning and practice. 

Which is exactly where i suspect that the lexus mouse falls - once you get used to it then it's fine. At first it seems awkward, but once you get used to how it works, what it will and will not respond to, etc then it will be ok. Motoring journalists generally don't have that much patience. 

It is a good point regarding where it is located.

I have always wondered whether Japanese manufacturers prefer designing their cars with RHD configurations since they drive on the left in Japan, or whether they cater for the majority of their customers who do the opposite?

Regarding my car, it might be that more gremlins have appeared.  Recently I have been driving without my stereo on (primarily because my misses objects to the quality songs I play!) and have discovered some new noises.

The first noise is obvious for the first few seconds after the car starts.  However, it will only do it after being left overnight.  I don't suppose any other 450h owners would care to comment on whether theirs is the same?

Listen here:

The second noise is more difficult to make out, but when I move the seat base on the passenger side the motor makes a 'knocking' sound.  It does it occasionally going forward, but much more frequently backwards.  It also only produces the noise when no one is in the seat.

See if you can hear it:

Am I being too sensitive with these little 'hiccups'?  The car is over 5 years old now and crossed 75,000 miles today, so perhaps I am being too picky?

There is one more quirk that I wanted to ask owners about.  Have you ever experienced any juddering whilst under constantly light/moderate braking?  I have noticed recently that when, for example, braking coming up to a set of lights for 3-5 seconds, the car sometimes 'kangaroo's' to a stop?  Since it doesn't use the brakes to slow down, I thought it might be a foible the car has?  If not, then I am struggling to explain it other than it might be the road surface, but my old IS used these same roads without issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, OldTrout said:

I wonder if the difficulty drivers have with the mouse in a RHD car is because they are right handed. All the skills we have with computer mice in the right hand have to be relearnt in the left hand.

Any left handed drivers care to comment?

John

I am left handed John.

I use the mouse in my right hand and use two hands on the keyboard.

I operate the car systems with my left hand as is required.

I eat right handed, wear my watch on my left wrist and play golf left handed.

I played cricket left handed with a right handed bat.

I wrote badly at school left handed because they gave me a right handed nib in the pen. 

I played tennis,table tennis and squash left handed.

I cannot use right handed scissors, but can use a right handed potato peeler.

Your question has opened a bag of worms my friend!

• Like 1