Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've got GS450h front brakes on my car and I paid £157.50 for the discs and pads a couple of years ago. Genuine parts from Lexus Birmingham's eBay store.

Does your Premier model have the larger 356mm 2-piece rotors and bigger calipers that are also fitted to an F-Sport?

EDIT: Just read a few earlier posts and it appears the Premier does indeed have the BBK. Move along, nothing to see here. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Vlad,

Yes, I had to ask several times to make sure they weren't quoting me the wrong parts and was assured that they were a like for like replacement.  The only thing that I can think of is that they quoted for the standard discs and pads but still fitted the larger ones.  Either way, as you say, I got lucky.

The fact that the price I paid included fitting makes it amazing cheap, so I must have had some good karma that day!

Yes, there was the other thread that I commented on where I mention the difference.  They are actually bigger (356mm vs 340mm) and are of a 'floating' design.  The only commonality that I can think of that the F Sport and Premier share, that the rest of the range doesn't, is the AVS suspension.  So, perhaps the fact that it can potentially go around corners faster requires bigger brakes to be fitted to the front?

Oh, and if you are experiencing a 'juddering' under braking then it does sound similar to mine.

What are you going to do?

3 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Hi Vlad,

Yes, I had to ask several times to make sure they weren't quoting me the wrong parts and was assured that they were a like for like replacement.  The only thing that I can think of is that they quoted for the standard discs and pads but still fitted the larger ones.  Either way, as you say, I got lucky.

The fact that the price I paid included fitting makes it amazing cheap, so I must have had some good karma that day!

Yes, there was the other thread that I commented on where I mention the difference.  They are actually bigger (356mm vs 340mm) and are of a 'floating' design.  The only commonality that I can think of that the F Sport and Premier share, that the rest of the range doesn't, is the AVS suspension.  So, perhaps the fact that it can potentially go around corners faster requires bigger brakes to be fitted to the front?

Oh, and if you are experiencing a 'juddering' under braking then it does sound similar to mine.

What are you going to do?

I got today special lubricant for pads, pins etc, so I plan to take front brakes apart, do double check if the callipers are not sticking and the wheels rotate freely and take it for a ride, if that above doesn't help I will do one more thing i.e 10 in total brakes to warm the brakes and to skim/clean them if that doesn't help I will have to buy new brake discs.

Ashame, as I like the car so much!

Yeah, my discs weren't particularly worn out either, which was annoying.

I don't suppose you have a dial gauge?  It would be interesting to see what the run out of the discs are.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Yeah, my discs weren't particularly worn out either, which was annoying.

I don't suppose you have a dial gauge?  It would be interesting to see what the run out of the discs are.

I have and will use a Vernier Calliper to measure their thickness and will let you know.

• Like 1

That would also be interesting, so thanks for doing it.

I am just wondering how 'flat' they are now, which unfortunately it much more difficult to determine.  I wish I had kept my old set of discs now.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, Shahpor said:

That would also be interesting, so thanks for doing it.

I am just wondering how 'flat' they are now, which unfortunately it much more difficult to determine.  I wish I had kept my old set of discs now.

Shahpor hi, I measured today the pads and the discs thickness, they re as follows:

Discs vary between 28.93-29.33mm

Pads vary between 8.49-9.36mm

I have no idea what the new ones are but visually they do not look worn, so I cleaned everything, re-lubricated (with fancy grease, someone suggested here recently) and put it back together, I also washed the wheels properly and applied the Poorboys wax/sealant.

So, I took it for a short test drive and the wobble/judder has gone, I do not want to say much more and test my fait but I will check it tomorrow on my way to work and will confirm it. Fingers crossed it's not there or I will need to fork out for a new pads and discs!

Thanks for the info Vlad :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed the judder disappears.

The pads aren't too bad, but without knowing how thick the discs are meant to be, it doesn't mean much.

Also, assuming the discs aren't too thin, I wonder if a skim would help the problem?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 9:06 PM, Shahpor said:

Thanks for the info Vlad :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed the judder disappears.

The pads aren't too bad, but without knowing how thick the discs are meant to be, it doesn't mean much.

Also, assuming the discs aren't too thin, I wonder if a skim would help the problem?

Hi Shahpor, I got my front discs skimmed last Friday, they look nice! So they are back on my car with new pads, I think they just bedded in as the brakes are wonderful now and do not judder, it brakes like normal car, well, like a car with strong brakes! :)

I love my GS again, I even ordered a 4 new tyres yesterday so the car will have to stay with me for a while! :)

Hi Vlad,

Excellent news :smile:

Normally, I wouldn't see the point of skimming discs, but with the price of ours, it is certainly something I would consider if my brakes started juddering again, especially if they were as thick as yours were.  It would have been really annoying to have to replace a perfectly serviceable set of discs.

What tyres did you get?

I have my MOT coming up in a couple of weeks, and I know I need a set of rears, so I have asked the dealer to provide me a pair of Michelin Primacy HP's (or equivalent).  One thing that was mentioned that I didn't know is that it was claimed that anyone who has a service plan gets tyres at cost price.  If this is indeed the case, then I am interested to see how much the tyres are going to cost me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

One thing that was mentioned that I didn't know is that it was claimed that anyone who has a service plan gets tyres at cost price

Now that really is worth knowing Shahpor.Many thanks.

I don’t think this is the case at all Lexus Dealers.  Bristol seem to be relatively expensive for tyres compared to online prices but I’m happy to pay the premium for convenience and come  back. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shahpor said:

What tyres did you get?

Shahpor I went for a all season tyres this time, Goodyear Vector 4 seasons G2, I bought 4-off even though only the front ones need changing. I will keep the rear ones and will put them back on after the winter. I also need a wheel alignment as front wheels being worn slightly more on outer edges, all that will be done by Lexus Glasgow, next month I guess, depends on weather. 

Current rear tyres (Avon Z5) are still very good even though they have done almost 10k miles and that the ones I will keep for another season next year.

I can't comment on GY tyres above as never had them before but they do have good reviews. I really wanted Michelin Cross Climates but they are to expensive, in price difference to GY I can do wheel alignment in Lexus and have a spare change! :)

8 hours ago, F.A. said:

I don’t think this is the case at all Lexus Dealers.  Bristol seem to be relatively expensive for tyres compared to online prices but I’m happy to pay the premium for convenience and come  back. 

There does seem to be some inconsistency between dealers on things that shouldn't be.  Although, last time I needed tyres I couldn't find them cheaper than Lexus Reading could provide them, so there might be some truth to it,

Once I get the final price back I will compare it to online sources and report back.

46 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

There does seem to be some inconsistency between dealers on things that shouldn't be.  Although, last time I needed tyres I couldn't find them cheaper than Lexus Reading could provide them, so there might be some truth to it,

Once I get the final price back I will compare it to online sources and report back.

Lexus Glasgow wanted crazy money for new tyres, roughly £80-90 more per tyre as if buying from internet.

It sounds like you've already bought your tyres, Vlad, but I think Lexus will offer to price-match any local garages for prices? It's mentioned on lexus.co.uk and also in promotional material that's usually bundled in with the paperwork after my car's been serviced. T&C's apply, and I don't know what they are, but it appears to be a wide-ranging policy, not just dealer-specific.

Personally, I always order from blackcircles and have the tyres delivered to, and fitted by a local garage that's recently been refurbished and has all new and modern equipment. Way less hassle than visiting the dealer that's located in a congestion bottleneck. 🙂

13 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

It sounds like you've already bought your tyres, Vlad, but I think Lexus will offer to price-match any local garages for prices? It's mentioned on lexus.co.uk and also in promotional material that's usually bundled in with the paperwork after my car's been serviced. T&C's apply, and I don't know what they are, but it appears to be a wide-ranging policy, not just dealer-specific.

Personally, I always order from blackcircles and have the tyres delivered to, and fitted by a local garage that's recently been refurbished and has all new and modern equipment. Way less hassle than visiting the dealer that's located in a congestion bottleneck. 🙂

Shahpor, I did buy my tyres, well ordered them online to be delivered to my house but prior that I was considering different options, one of them is Blackcircles.

As I mentioned before (I think) I need a wheel alignment anyway so i phoned Lexus Glasgow to check the price for it and the same time asked how much they charge for tyre swapping, it was £12+VAT, they however asked me where I get my tyres from and may be they can supply them instead. I told them what I want, they called me back couple of hours later and the price was high, I told them what price is online and they said they can't match it, not even close so I went through online shop and will be fitting tyres at Lexus and doing wheel alignment at the same time.

May be they can try to match the price if you have with them Service pack, which I don't so they are not bothered. :)

• Like 1

This is all very odd.

On my previous Lexus, which didn't have a service pack, the tyres I got for it were very reasonably priced.  They also did offer me a price-matching service, but I couldn't find them cheaper anywhere.

Between this and my brakes, I am beginning to think that I am very lucky that my local Lexus dealer is so good to me! :smile:

Had my front discs, pads and rear pads done today. Lexus dealer in Sidcup had some empathy as I only bought it in January and have only done 5000 miles since purchase. Gave me a very competitive price for the lot. Lexus Edgware Road carried out the work as is part of the Jemca group.

The intermittent squealing I had on braking and driving was a result of a lipped disc. Car once again feels like a luxury item 🙂

Glad to hear Lexus Sidcup helping you out :smile:

For the sake of comparison, could you tell us how much the discs were?  Although, it is perfectly understandable if you don't want to say.

My new discs and pads still squeal really loudly some times, but when I bought the car I was warned that they all do it!

On 9/20/2019 at 9:18 PM, Shahpor said:

Glad to hear Lexus Sidcup helping you out :smile:

For the sake of comparison, could you tell us how much the discs were?  Although, it is perfectly understandable if you don't want to say.

My new discs and pads still squeal really loudly some times, but when I bought the car I was warned that they all do it!

Was around £400 for front and rear pads. Front discs too. Don't think that's bad for a Lexus dealer using Lexus parts. 

Cannot believe its normal for Lexus brakes to squeal loudly???? Is that a facet on the GS450h? Neither my previous Honda Accord V6 Coupe or E60 squealed at all. Even when the discs and pads were well worn. 

7 hours ago, superatticman said:

Was around £400 for front and rear pads. Front discs too. Don't think that's bad for a Lexus dealer using Lexus parts. 

Cannot believe its normal for Lexus brakes to squeal loudly???? Is that a facet on the GS450h? Neither my previous Honda Accord V6 Coupe or E60 squealed at all. Even when the discs and pads were well worn. 

£400 is not bad at all, it is a good price!

When I had my e60, the garage I bought it from put new discs and pads all around and they were squealing at first but then bedded-in and never did it again.

£400 is a very good price, you have done well there :thumbsup:

Not sure what the squeal is; perhaps the pads they use or the fact that the hybrid doesn't use the brakes in the same way as non-hybrid, but that is what I was told and so far it has worked out that way.

I did have a similar squeal on my old IS220d, which the dealer tried unsuccessfully to fix by various methods.

Well, the latest update is that the GS passed its MOT without issue.

There are a couple of advisories, 2 of which are the very annoying covers obscuring components nonsense, and the other a misty shock that apparently isn't a problem.  Other than that, I got a nice video showing how clean and healthy the rest of the underside of the car is.

Also had the dealer fit a pair of Michelin Primacy 4's to the rear, which worked out to £147 each, which doesn't seem that bad. 

So, 11,249 miles or so after purchase, all is well and I am still enjoying the ownership experience.

Only slight downsides are that someone has managed to scrap my front bumper and leave some red paint, and it looks like a stone has gone right through the paint on the drivers A pillar resulting in a small amount of rust forming :sad:  I will get those looked at soon.

• Like 3