Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Good to have some insight, so thanks for sharing.

Being sluggish compared to an IS250 is somewhat worrying.  I wonder if anyone has tried it compared to an IS300h, which I can relate to having driven a few.

Of course, all of this is hypothetical at this point, but since I can't imagine the line up changing any time soon, it will probably still be a concern when I come to change mine.

I guess coming from a GS250, performance of an ES300 is going to be similar. So no concerns there. There just won't be the lovely sound and character of a V6. I'm not that bothered about performance these days and I do rate comfort over speed. 

However it does seem the GS is the last in line of the 'true' Lexus experience unless you want an LS or Chelsea tractor type vehicle. 

Must admit though a Camry Excel looks far better value than an ES. Being 6'4 and long in the back will have to try for size before remotely considering any purchase though. 

Both are possibly a tad less headroomy than the GS which may be a deal breaker. If that's the case...then a later GS may be an option. After that though....I guess I'm at the mercy of the Germans although in 10 years time the motoring landscape may be unrecognisable.

• Like 1

Interesting insights chaps, thanks for sharing 👍

Not seen a Camry but I would assume it is a downgrade in quality compared to the Lexus?

If things carry on like this, I might have to consider leaving the Lexus brand altogether ☹️

I do like the look of the Kia Stinger and Alfa Guilia though..

Lexus ES is Toyota Avalon and from all reviews etc. the build quality is identical. Yes ES has slightly different design which may look little bit more luxurious, but overall it is the same car, same quality and same everything.

Camry is step below Avalon, so it isn't competitor for ES either. 

It is sad that Lexus line-up leaves no room for loyal customers, I am in the same boat sadly - if I could afford having Lexus LC (perfect unpractical coupe) + RX (practical car), then I think this would be perfect combo, but in reality I could only have one car (like many) and have to compromise. RC350 would be compromise I would take - fast enough to have fun, but still has folding rear seats and could be used daily, but Lexus won't sell it. 

59 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Interesting insights chaps, thanks for sharing 👍

Not seen a Camry but I would assume it is a downgrade in quality compared to the Lexus?

If things carry on like this, I might have to consider leaving the Lexus brand altogether ☹️

I do like the look of the Kia Stinger and Alfa Guilia though..

This is the conundrum. Whatever you say about reliability, hidden costs etc ze Germans especially have a superb range of models. The 5 series and A6 come with frugal, low emission but punchy to fairly rapid diesel or 1.8T/2.0T petrol engines. They may frustrate with gremlins (a by product of tech overload) but for your average lease buyer this isn't a problem. They still also come with a genuine performance option too. And that's before you even get to the likes of the supercaresque M5 variant.

I'd be surprised if the ES isnt dropped in a year or two, comfortable, pleasant and appealing (to me anyway) car as it may be. 

Interesting points ES v Camry listed above too. I suppose Camry was always a bit more in competition with the Accord (remember them?). Another decent car that just didn't catch on here. 

2 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Also wait until Genesis (Fancy Huinday/Kia) arives to UK, looks like a good car!

I passed one last night Vlady. It was in my dreams as I was driving along the Inter-Galactic Highway🤣🤣

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

I passed one last night Vlady. It was in my dreams as I was driving along the Inter-Galactic Highway🤣🤣

You have to agree then John, the car looks nice, huh? 😉

I am looking forward to see one of these in UK.

20 minutes ago, superatticman said:

I'd be surprised if the ES isnt dropped in a year or two, comfortable, pleasant and appealing (to me anyway) car as it may be. 

I have to agree with that, I think it doesn't sell in good numbers.

I am wandering, does ES sell more thsn GS used to in good years? I doubt that.

ES is not a bad car, I am still drive one though, if you want somehting reliable and with good customer service and very lethargic to drive ES is the car for you. I still think they are beatiful cars!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I am wandering, does ES sell more thsn GS used to in good years? I doubt that.

I don't think they sell many either, would be interesting to compare after few years.

Problem is - they are just too expensive... they going after BMW 5, MB E-Class and Audi A6 market (very competitive) and one can get le-germans cheaper and arguably with better equipment, options... and with genuine performance. So ES is really just outlier in the market where GS (being a better car) already failed... 

As you mentioned for example MB E300 is very capable car, smooth, fast bigger, more comfortable, more sporty with optional suspension and starts around same price. Why would anyone choose ES?! Yes perhaps just to be original or people who buy cars with cash upfront and planning to own them forever - but that is niche, within niche market, such buyers are very rare. 

1 hour ago, superatticman said:

This is the conundrum. Whatever you say about reliability, hidden costs etc ze Germans especially have a superb range of models. The 5 series and A6 come with frugal, low emission but punchy to fairly rapid diesel or 1.8T/2.0T petrol engines. They may frustrate with gremlins (a by product of tech overload) but for your average lease buyer this isn't a problem. They still also come with a genuine performance option too. And that's before you even get to the likes of the supercaresque M5 variant.

Interesting points ES v Camry listed above too. I suppose Camry was always a bit more in competition with the Accord (remember them?). Another decent car that just didn't catch on here. 

It is true that, despite what you may think about them, there is usually a BMW model that will fit the bill no matter your requirements.  Don't get me wrong, I have had quite a few BMW's in my time and have loved them, but I can't help but think about the unreliability issues I keep hearing about and I cannot imagine that the customer service would be as good as I get from my Lexus dealer.  The regulars at Lexus Reading that I deal with (Sue, Michael, Alex and Andy) all know me by sight and always do their best to make the experience as painless as possible. I get the feeling that at a BMW dealer you would just be another number..

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

Also wait until Genesis (Fancy Huinday/Kia) arives to UK, looks like a good car!

This is a good point Vlad.  I have heard that the customer service at both isn't bad and the cars are well built.  I also like the look of this:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general/genesis-reveals-g70-shooting-brake/44148

So I can't wait to see what they are going to release.

Well, it never rains but it pours...

Had the most awful screech come out of the rear (of the car! 🙂), so called Lexus assist to have a look.

Believe it or not, the AA man turned up 7 minutes later!

It actually turned out to be a stone trapped between the disc and stone guard that refused to dislodge itself when going forward and backwards.  A few taps with a crowbar got it removed.  Somewhat embarrassing really as that is something I should have checked myself, but I got tunnel vision and assumed it was the rear brakes based on how low they were.

Anyway, while he was under there, he noticed something hanging down:

20210516_105829.thumb.jpg.1aad4128bb26e6f6bca8f1d8b88986e7.jpg

20210516_105832.thumb.jpg.ad6cece1118260c56499ad31681287ad.jpg

20210516_105836.thumb.jpg.76e6b190c9e84f6461229ac91b692f66.jpg

So, the drivers side back box exhaust head shield is now in the boot as the bolt holes have completely rusted through.  Emailed the dealer and will wait to see what they say.

It looks like my car is finally starting to show its age...

• Sad 1

Thanks David.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a great car.  I think I just need to readjust my thinking to expect things like this as when I got it I considered it on the newer side where stuff like this wouldn't happen.

Like you say though, the heat shield itself is not much more than an annoyance.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

So, the drivers side back box exhaust head shield is now in the boot as the bolt holes have completely rusted through.  Emailed the dealer and will wait to see what they say.

It looks like my car is finally starting to show its age...

If I am not mistaken, the heatshields are made of layered aluminium or aluminised steel, so I don't think they rusted through. From the pictures it seems the rust is from the rusty bolt and not shield itself, and the holes themselves are just worn out, because they were hanging on rusted bolt.

The solution in this case would be to find big washers and just bolt the shield back with new bolts.

• Like 1

The AA man reckoned it was tin with aluminium or steel inserts, so it is likely that galvanic corrosion has caused the breakage.

I agree that if the part is expensive then it is likely I will do as you suggest and just get some big washers.  I would probably have to drop the exhaust slightly to gain access, but again, that is apparently quite straightforward with only the removal of the rubber hangers.

Either way, not a huge deal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shahpor said:

It is true that, despite what you may think about them, there is usually a BMW model that will fit the bill no matter your requirements.  Don't get me wrong, I have had quite a few BMW's in my time and have loved them, but I can't help but think about the unreliability issues I keep hearing about and I cannot imagine that the customer service would be as good as I get from my Lexus dealer.  The regulars at Lexus Reading that I deal with (Sue, Michael, Alex and Andy) all know me by sight and always do their best to make the experience as painless as possible. I get the feeling that at a BMW dealer you would just be another number..

This is a good point Vlad.  I have heard that the customer service at both isn't bad and the cars are well built.  I also like the look of this:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general/genesis-reveals-g70-shooting-brake/44148

So I can't wait to see what they are going to release.

I am in love! Beautiful estate!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

If I am not mistaken, the heatshields are made of layered aluminium or aluminised steel, so I don't think they rusted through. From the pictures it seems the rust is from the rusty bolt and not shield itself, and the holes themselves are just worn out, because they were hanging on rusted bolt.

The solution in this case would be to find big washers and just bolt the shield back with new bolts.

Exactly right amigo.

Same thing happened to the bottom engine cover on my Merc, although that was the result of sloppy MB so called technicians.

5 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Exactly right amigo.

Same thing happened to the bottom engine cover on my Merc, although that was the result of sloppy MB so called technicians.

Funnily enough this reminds me of what happened to my old E60. They actually took the heatshield away from the manifold for the last two years of the model. Resulting in a warped rocker cover! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Congratulations! It is not a bad choice! Reliable and a  good looking car!

If I decide to leave GS it might be to go with the Korean manufacturer too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Are you ready for some forum controversy? 🙂

I have ordered a new Kia Stinger...

Congratulations. Great car and good value for money. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Congratulations! It is not a bad choice! Reliable and a  good looking car!

If I decide to leave GS it might be to go with the Korean manufacturer too.

54 minutes ago, F.A. said:

Congratulations. Great car and good value for money. 

Thanks chaps.

Yeah, I always liked them, so took one out for a test drive and really enjoyed it.

Also one of the only cars I have found that has a standard spec better than my GS!

It is a shame since I really do like the Lexus ownership experience but I am just not a fan of any of their new offerings.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links