Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What car / Stick with Lexus?

Morning all - i have a musing regarding what car to get into next - currently have an "65" reg F Sort IS hybrid - it has the red interior and ML sound and is a lovely place to be!  It is a company car and will be coming to end of the term next year.  Being a petrol head i have already started looking for possible alternatives be that premature or not....

I don't do PCP / HP - we buy the car outright as an asset - Budget is around £30k. I don't have to buy brand new & usually go for something with less than 8k and well specced.  My business mileage is low (majority of miles being for personal use so it is more a perk and the commute is a 12 mile round trip (city driving mainly so the hybrid is useful and the low BIK tax is good)

BUT....

I can't decide what would be good next - i keep the car 3 three years and originally thought a nice RC hybrid would be a "natural progression".  The RC seem to hold their value well and for my budget the RC wouldn't be much younger that the IS, plus the interior (as nice as it is) is the same and the drive train is the same.  I do like the CVT in most cases but there are occasions when i would rather have a DCT or torque auto - my real question is is the RC different enough to keep my interest for another 3 years?

Alternatives i have looked at (but not driven all yet)

BMW 330e - a shadow M Sport, looks nice but even with the spec its like all other BMW's.  The BIK is even lower with this car and it will do my full commute on ev after a full charge at home - it also has combined 250+ bhp and 0-60 in 6 secs which considerably quicker than the RC. Anyone have experience of them? 

Infiniti Q60 - like the RC - great looking coupe - petrol 2.0t with 208 bhp & 8 speed auto - not as rapid as the BMW and no EV - BIK also higher but worth it for the rarity & looks?

Infiniti Q50 Hybrid - i looked at these prior to getting the IS - good looking - normal auto and similar self charging hybrid to Lexus - the USP is the 3.5 V6 and combined output is 360 bhp!  As it is hybrid the BIK is less than the RC and Q60 - i expect fuel economy won't be too great with a large engine but they do sound and go great. 

Anyone think of anything different which might fit the bill or have experience with any of the above?  The car needs to be no more than 3 years old and with a balance of warranty if possible....

Cheers for any input.

Does the £30K budget include your car as a part ex?  

I'm in the same position in that my car is three years old. Its not however a company car , I don't have any commute of note so its used for pleasure only. Sadly it needs to be a little practical as well :wink3: 

Like you I'm  a bit of a petrol head, so much so I wont yet even go down the hybrid route. I will buy on PCP as often there are  incentives (see below) - then pay it straight off having pocketed the incentive.

My current car is the 4 cyclinder turbo version of yours. I've done the round robin of dealerships and looked at plenty of cars / deals and test driven a shed load of cars as well as having my car valued. Apart from the RCF there is nothing from Lexus that makes me want to stay with them at the moment and I fancy a change 

I've actually gone back to the dark side. BMW (I know -its BMW) are doing some outstanding deals on cars. Audi and Mercedes have without doubt ruffled their feathers.  

Amongst my numerous test drives I did an M240i. There was a thread on another forum about the new Supra being fitted with a straight six  B58 engine. I was initially sceptical but combined with BMW's 8 speed auto its sublime, appears to be a very reliable engine. I tried it in various guises and have settled on a 340i... I know its BMW  but it really is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It sounds beautiful, not V8 beautiful but the best sounding 6 cyclinder engine I've heard. 

Although it probably wouldn't fit your needs (I believe its not too bad on a run 40 plus mpg is possible) the deals being offered on pre reg cars are outrageous.. I've managed to get a pre reg, 3 months old / 5 miles on the clock for £17k off list price thats 35% off, absolutely fully loaded  with options. Although BMW don't technically do finance incentives on pre reg they will - I got a further £1000 off. Unlike Lexus you can pay this / PCP off straight away (Lexus require six payments).

Their part ex figures were also generous (as were Mercedes) far more so than Lexus .Although I didn't look for a 330e the F30 platform is being replaced by the G20 in the next few months so deals are there as they try to shift stock.

Cost to change for me for a new straight six turbo, with all the toys was less than 15k.

• Like 2

Just one quick point no matter what you go for.

Its worth bearing in mind that any car registered since June 2017 with a list price of over £40k will attract a further £310 on top of its usual VED for five years.    

• Like 1

Appreciate the reply - just what i am looking for!

Yes £30k includes my part ex

I have considered a m240i as the i don't really need a big car and like you the thought of a straight 6 appeals in such a small overall package.  

I expect the 340 is fantastic however for me as a company car it would be 3 -4 times the amount of BIK tax compared to the 330e & the power difference isn't huge (the noise is significantly better though!)

I agree with your sentiments re Lexus - i don';t really see anything in the current line up which appeals enough not to look elsewhere!

Have you seen the leaked photos of the new 3 series?  It is very Lexus esque - the rear looks like GS! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, doog442 said:

Just one quick point no matter what you go for.

Its worth bearing in mind that any car registered since June 2017 with a list price of over £40k will attract a further £310 on top of its usual VED for five years.    

it was the 1st of april 2017 when the road tax changed, if it where the June i would of got away with the extra charge.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links