Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a GS250 - looking for tips please

Hi

I'm considering a GS250 around a 2012-13 plate.

I know it'll be fairly thirsty but I work at home and only do around 4-5k per year so don't really need a hybrid or diesel.

I know I need to check the shocks as they can leak and are expensive and the exhaust, anything else?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi Dave,

I thought the shocks and exhaust problems were for the pre-2012 cars?

Unless anyone can enlighten me further (and they probably can), I am unaware of any inherent issues with the Mk4 cars?

On 10/2/2018 at 10:18 AM, DaveWebDesigner said:

Hi

I'm considering a GS250 around a 2012-13 plate.

I know it'll be fairly thirsty but I work at home and only do around 4-5k per year so don't really need a hybrid or diesel.

I know I need to check the shocks as they can leak and are expensive and the exhaust, anything else?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi Dave

I would say consider it hands down. I bought a 62 plate in February and haven't looked back. I do 5k a year and with a mixture of driving I get 35-38 mpg. I am not aware of shocks issues or exhaust but after having my 6 year service done last week, there are no issues. I love the car and the prices of the GS250 are such, they represent a bargain. Don't be put off by economy or tax. The price gaps between petrol and hybrids GS more than make up for it. 

Hi Dave, I thought the shocks and exhaust problems were for the pre-2012 cars?

Unless anyone can enlighten me further (and they probably can), I am unaware of any inherent issues with the Mk4 cars?

No and it’s not thirsty. I thought it would be but it’s a remarkably economical car.

I got this driving through the Dordogne - after a hilly and 70mph cruise up to the Loir it was down to 44mpg.

At 70mph it’ll do over 40mpg, and by 90mph if you ever drive that fast over a long distance over 30mpg.

I routinely get over 400miles to a tank and more often than not over 450. I don’t drive in town much and do have an anticipatory smooth driving style.

IMG_3235.thumb.JPG.eb72b2863e23e775ba55aabf2461c292.JPG

Issues wise the exhaust will rust and make sure the steering doesn’t make any untoward noises. I’m having a few niggles. An unrelated model and a more extreme example of the only issue with my car is here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/866192-steering-wheel-noise.html

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[mention=61115]st4[/mention] that's an impressive mpg, I honestly thought it would be more thirsty, much more! 

It sounds a bumptious thing to say but in most people’s hands it would be. Previous owner averaged 33mpg, I average 39 in it and rountinely get mid 40s from it.

Not recently mind, driving around the Pyrenees has seen my average plummet to 35 but the run back and not even 3 tanks of fuel to get back from the Dordogne to Argyll

• Like 1

If the car is on around 50k, what service will be due?  Is it a belt driven engine, if so I guess that could be due around 60k? 

I wonder what the servicing prices at a Lexus dealer would be?

Chain driven and £275 for a minor maybe £450/£500 for a big one.

A Toyota dealer will do the same service with the same parts for two thirds of the cost

So far I’ve serviced mine twice, once at Toyota for £250 and once at Lexus for £440 but more work was done at Lexus.

The cars been cheaper to service than my old Mercedes and Volvo

• 2 weeks later...

Well there seems to be 7-9 cars for sale on Autotrader at any one time within 200 miles.  I'd rather not travel more than 100 though really.

So choice is fairly limited, the white is ok, I like the grey and black and there is a dark blue one close by at the moment with a really low mileage.

I like that tan leather, there is a white one in London with the tan that looks smart.  Have to see what is available when I am ready to go hunting! Hopefully this week!

4 hours ago, DaveWebDesigner said:

Well there seems to be 7-9 cars for sale on Autotrader at any one time within 200 miles.  I'd rather not travel more than 100 though really.

So choice is fairly limited, the white is ok, I like the grey and black and there is a dark blue one close by at the moment with a really low mileage.

I like that tan leather, there is a white one in London with the tan that looks smart.  Have to see what is available when I am ready to go hunting! Hopefully this week!

Why not buy from a Lexus Dealership and have it serviced at Lexus Gatwick?

I know that Autotrader cars might be cheaper, but there are many good reasons to consider buying from Lexus, Dave.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

• Like 1

Why not buy from a Lexus Dealership and have it serviced at Lexus Gatwick?
I know that Autotrader cars might be cheaper, but there are many good reasons to consider buying from Lexus, Dave.
Whatever you decide, good luck.

I’d buy from the dealers too.

• Like 1

So I only went and got one!  Clean GS250 with just over 40k on the clock:

Very pleased with the car.  It actually blew me away a bit, it just feels so solid and comfy, it's more than I was expecting.

The engine noise surprised me for a couple of reasons.  It's slightly diesel-ish from cold, there is a slight tickyness to it.  I see that the direct injectors can click a bit because they are such high pressure?  Seems to be a lot of talk about it online. 

The second reason is when you put your foot down!  I was not expecting such an awesome noise from a Lexus!

I found Bluetooth easy to set up with my phone and the nav is easy to use also.  The joystick (whatever it's called) is given bad reviews, but it doesn't seem too fiddly to me, slightly odd, but works well.

The next service is looking quite expensive because Lexus tell me all the plugs need doing, but it's not every year at least!

lexus-front-sm.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Shahpor.

Correct, Grey with the black interior.

It's a GS250 Luxury.  Has BSM which I think was an option?  I'm not as well versed in the standard equipment as I should be!  Other than that all the usual high level of equipment, reverse camera, heated/cooled seats, easy access, leather, climate, auto wipers, auto mirror, keyless entry etc.

I need to go out at get some more pics, the light is terrible at the moment so will try and get some soon.

• Like 1