Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New RCF owner

New RCF owner here, having introduced myself in the newbie section I'm awaiting delivery of my 2017 red RCF. The car's being delivered Thursday so I've taken the day off and got a bit of cash for fuel. My nearest Lexus dealership is Southampton, I popped into there to get an idea of servicing costs which seem very reasonable compared to the car I've been running. Really looking forward to driving it.

• Like 8

Excellent news, awaiting pics! Hedge End have been absolutely great to us for years. We’ve had a GS450h, an ISF, and currently have an RX450h and a GSF. 

Was it Mike who you dealt with? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrfunex said:

Excellent news, awaiting pics! Hedge End have been absolutely great to us for years. We’ve had a GS450h, an ISF, and currently have an RX450h and a GSF. 

Was it Mike who you dealt with? 

I spoke to Jon Oakley, I had a good look at the blue RCF one of the members of staff are running. Parked in front of that was the LC500 which I quite like too.

14 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Congratulations! Nice one. What other cars did you consider? 

Tried quite a few, My last car was a 600+ BHP twin turbo V12 AMG I was in the process of buying an old Alfa but got guzzumped so walked away. I have a habit of only keeping my cars a year and have had what could be described as an awful lot of 'nice' cars over the years.

Since then I tried one the the last V8 M3's it was a special build from the factory, lovely car that seemed to shrink around you but it felt like you had to drive it fast all of the time. You could get it to ride nice with the EDC though. Nearly bought an A8 W12 and tried and liked the new S8 but decided they were both too big but both had every toy under the sun and then some.

As I mentioned I saw a red RCF in my local petrol station and I couldn't take my eyes off it, then it pulled away and I heard the V8 sound so I just had to check them out.

Did the test drive in one and decided it's Jekkle and Hyde characteristics were just what I wanted. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Tried quite a few, My last car was a 600+ BHP twin turbo V12 AMG I was in the process of buying an old Alfa but got guzzumped so walked away. I have a habit of only keeping my cars a year and have had what could be described as an awful lot of 'nice' cars over the years.

Since then I tried one the the last V8 M3's it was a special build from the factory, lovely car that seemed to shrink around you but it felt like you had to drive it fast all of the time. You could get it to ride nice with the EDC though. Nearly bought an A8 W12 and tried and liked the new S8 but decided they were both too big but both had every toy under the sun and then some.

As I mentioned I saw a red RCF in my local petrol station and I couldn't take my eyes off it, then it pulled away and I heard the V8 sound so I just had to check them out.

Did the test drive in one and decided it's Jekkle and Hyde characteristics were just what I wanted. 

Always interesting to understand what brings people to an f car given they are little known. I hope you enjoy it and you never know you may keep it longer than a year!

• Like 2

Well the car arrived at midday and I've just got back from wasting loads of V-Power.

You can certainly tell the different suspension settings when you change drive modes, Sport + is quite firm but on a decent twisty A road just what I want when I want to drive like that, so I'm very pleased I hung out for an AVS model.

No doubt about it the car works very nicely with the paddle shifts very satisfying. I'm used to 600+ BHP V12 twin turbo 900 lb torque but I like the way the car works with the gears more.

Did a bit of cruising which again this car does so well with it set in normal the ride makes the journey a pleasure.

Only negative the car suffered a stone chip (quite bad) being delivered, plus it looks like this car has been through car washes all it's life too the swirl marks are everywhere. So it looks like my mate Luke has got a fair detailing job to do and I'll have a ceramic coating put on it and never let Lexus wash it again.

IMG_0216.jpg

• Like 9

@B1 RMA David she looks great, and you’ve been exercising her as well excellent,quicker you get to know them the better and really ups the enjoyment level. The brighter colours really showcase the design, stone chips ah well gonna happen I’ve always been pretty laid back about that sort of stuff...... demonstrated by buying a black car 😂

Big Rat

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@B1 RMA David she looks great, and you’ve been exercising her as well excellent,quicker you get to know them the better and really ups the enjoyment level. The brighter colours really showcase the design, stone chips ah well gonna happen I’ve always been pretty laid back about that sort of stuff...... demonstrated by buying a black car 😂

Big Rat

Thanks, the stone chip has created a small indentation too so I'll have to sort it. Paintwork is a bit naff with far too many swirls but I'm a bit anal about things like that. I'll pop to Lexus Southampton tomorrow to get an idea what's involved in sorting the mark out, any excuse for a blast.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

I think you're the only avs rcf on here. Not the only stone chip rc though.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I think I'd strongly recommend a potential new buyer to consider and at least try both. Although these days you can buy aftermarket active suspension I'm just about to put some on my hot Minivan

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

Well the car arrived at midday and I've just got back from wasting loads of V-Power.

You can certainly tell the different suspension settings when you change drive modes, Sport + is quite firm but on a decent twisty A road just what I want when I want to drive like that, so I'm very pleased I hung out for an AVS model.

No doubt about it the car works very nicely with the paddle shifts very satisfying. I'm used to 600+ BHP V12 twin turbo 900 lb torque but I like the way the car works with the gears more.

Did a bit of cruising which again this car does so well with it set in normal the ride makes the journey a pleasure.

Only negative the car suffered a stone chip (quite bad) being delivered, plus it looks like this car has been through car washes all it's life too the swirl marks are everywhere. So it looks like my mate Luke has got a fair detailing job to do and I'll have a ceramic coating put on it and never let Lexus wash it again.

IMG_0216.jpg

unfortunately these Lexus have really soft paints I bought mine on a overcast/damp day and it looked gleaming, I was horrified when I first saw it in bright sunshine swirls everywhere!!

however because it has soft paint they are really easy  to correct, mine is booked in later this month to be detailed and I'm having a ceramic coating applied which should help prevent future stir;s for a while.

Thanks, the stone chip has created a small indentation too so I'll have to sort it. Paintwork is a bit naff with far too many swirls but I'm a bit anal about things like that. I'll pop to Lexus Southampton tomorrow to get an idea what's involved in sorting the mark out, any excuse for a blast.
Bonnet is aluminium so dent likely won't pull out. I will take a guess at full bonnet respray £1200. Let us know!

8 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Bonnet is aluminium so dent likely won't pull out. I will take a guess at full bonnet respray £1200. Let us know!

Thanks, do you think they'll be able to match it colour wise correctly? I know sometimes these things are best left alone but it is dented and needs doing.

46 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Thanks, do you think they'll be able to match it colour wise correctly? I know sometimes these things are best left alone but it is dented and needs doing.

It's very difficult. It's whole panel or nothing and even then....... you've discovered the first downside already.

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

It's very difficult. It's whole panel or nothing and even then....... you've discovered the first downside already.

Thanks I think I'll ask first then see if my detailer guy may know something.

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

Thanks I think I'll ask first then see if my detailer guy may know something.

95% of the wash swirls on Lexus paint can be removed using a light finishing polish which is ideal. 

Unfortunately, with Sonic Red, there are only a few options to correct the dent. Filler and touch up with a stick if its small or a full respray