Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In the display which seems to be the section for the rear view camera I get this.  Google translate seems to suggest parallel parking.  Can anyone confirm what it is?

IMG_20181003_140211230.jpg

IMG_20181003_140224574.jpg

5 hours ago, cruisermark said:

I’ve never seen that in my 430 - perhaps you have self park on yours  - it is common for Japanese vehicles made for japan to have extra features 

I didn't think it was available in 2003.

29 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Try translating my Japanese Service History 😀

FB858A47-2BD7-4514-BD21-68242A0B224F.jpeg

Yes, exactly the same as mine, makes no sense.  When I tried to use Google translate I got something about the husband! Maybe the parking thing is something to do with this?

IMG_20180824_085659731_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Yes, exactly the same as mine, makes no sense.  When I tried to use Google translate I got something about the husband! Maybe the parking thing is something to do with this?

IMG_20180824_085659731_HDR.jpg

Arrrr...seen this system before...when you activate the parking mode a little voice starts giving you instructions like “Right hand down a bit” “Left hand down a bit” “Straighten up” “You are very close to the kerb””You have hit the vehicle behind you leave quickly!”

The Japanese culture seems to consist of a lot of bowing, the lower the bow the more respect is being given to the person you are bowing to.....bending too far and touching your toes is considered grovelling 😀

Another thing Japanese is that in order to buy a new car in Japan you have to prove you have an off street parking space as there is no parking on the streets, you either have a space at your home or buy/ rent a space nearby.

In car parks you have to reverse park, there is no driving into the space, shunting backwards and forwards to get between the white line before giving up, personally I would love to see this same rule in the UK...certainly wouldn’t struggle to find a space in Morrisons any more but it could cause confusion to many drivers who don’t know what selecting the  R symbol on the gearchange actually causes the car to do.

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Arrrr...seen this system before...when you activate the parking mode a little voice starts giving you instructions like “Right hand down a bit” “Left hand down a bit” “Straighten up” “You are very close to the kerb””You have hit the vehicle behind you leave quickly!”

Still, at least I'm getting expert advice here! For one moment I thought I was hearing voices, but thankfully you've confirmed that I'm not. What a clever car.

The Toyota Prius had self parking on the UK Tspirit model from 2003 so there is no reason why it could not be on other models.
I had it on my Prius. It was very reliable, but took so long to setup unless I was on a supermarket car park with very defined white line parking spaces. In this situation the camera recognised the white lines, and the empty spaces, allowing for instant auto parking. Parallel parking took for ever to set up. Allowing the car to reverse to quickly stopped the auto parking.

John.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NeilP1960 said:

My 54 plate 430 has it and it works just fine tbh... I don’t rely on it though 

So it's not just for the Japanese market.  It's a shame you live so far away, you could show me how it works!  Do you know where the sensors are, are they visible?  I ask because oddly mine doesn't have the usual park assist sensors, just the rear camera and the little retractable mast on the front bumper. 

17 hours ago, The-Acre said:

So it's not just for the Japanese market.  It's a shame you live so far away, you could show me how it works!  Do you know where the sensors are, are they visible?  I ask because oddly mine doesn't have the usual park assist sensors, just the rear camera and the little retractable mast on the front bumper. 

Mine has rear camera and a full set of bumper sensors front and back - when you engage it you have to press a button saying you accepts the risks!!

3 hours ago, NeilP1960 said:

Mine has rear camera and a full set of bumper sensors front and back - when you engage it you have to press a button saying you accepts the risks!!

That's the bit I don't understand, mine doesn't have bumper sensors but I'm not sure if they're for the self parking anyway.

2 hours ago, cruisermark said:

My UK spec 430 has front and rear sensors and tbh I think all UK ones have them

Both of my previous LS430's had rear sensors but not front ones.  I do find the camera to be just as good and the front mast with a blue LED tip is surprisingly good at letting me know where the front is.  What I don't understand is if it does have self parking, where are the sensors?  All of that aside, it is without a doubt the quietest LS I've owned which is nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

" All of that aside, it is without a doubt the quietest LS I've owned"..unlike the Wife, then?

Ta-da.....

My wife doesn't understand cars at all.  She calls mine "the flashmobile"  She is however quieter than the "flashmobile" most of the time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulpen said:

Phil,     https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/omnav-s/OM50684U/pdf/OM50684U.pdf,

this is a pdf of the 2005 LS 430 Navigation Manual. It has details of the Self Park System which might help you.  Start at page 108.

Thank you very much, you're a star!