Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone had a similar issue. Very slight clicking noise at low speed. Like this but much less pronounced.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/866192-steering-wheel-noise.html

Also get this one -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-present/870564-new-owner-with-problem.html

Again intermittent and not as pronounced.

My worry is that I take it to the dealer they’ll say “can’t hear it but here’s a £200 bill for the trouble” but the car is under warranty but only for another 6 months. It’s not due a service yet.

No fluid leaks or issues with the assistance or steering/driving the car other than the odd squeak and slight click/rachetedy sound

I’m inclined to just keep driving the car and bring it up at service time. Anyone here had an issue like this?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Nice to see you back on the road again Steve. Have you given up MB's? I pretty much have except for my elderly G. I don't frequent the other board these days.

Are you still doing your excellent photo travelogues?

Sorry, can't help with the noise 😞

Edited by IanA2
typo

Nice to see you back on the road again Steve. Have you given up MB's? I pretty much have except for my elderly G. I don't frequent the other board these days. Are you still doing your excellent photo travelogues?  

Sorry, can't help with the noise [emoji20]

Completely given up on MB. This car makes the old E350cdi seem like a steaming pile of dog crap.

At this photography full time pro now - just back from 3 weeks in the Alps, Dordogne, Loir and Pyrenees. I teach it, do local real estate, travel and landscape.

Back on topic. I have ridiculous OCD and the noise is bothering me. It wasn’t there when I got it - the first squeak happened in the Estos Valley car park. I had a very similar issue with my old E - something a little bit of oil sprayed onto the rack fixed. My worry is there’s something wrong with my car, it’ll get worse and end up like either of those ones making intolerable noises.

4 minutes ago, st4 said:

Completely given up on MB. This car makes the old E350cdi seem like a steaming pile of dog crap.

At this photography full time pro now - just back from 3 weeks in the Alps, Dordogne, Loir and Pyrenees. I teach it, do local real estate, travel and landscape.

Back on topic. I have ridiculous OCD and the noise is bothering me. It wasn’t there when I got it - the first squeak happened in the Estos Valley car park. I had a very similar issue with my old E - something a little bit of oil sprayed onto the rack fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Lx make cars like MB used to make them. I'm on my third and thinking of a two year old Rx450h or possibly a newer Rav4 Excel. Not tried the Toyota yet.

Great stuff on the photo front. If you can make money doing something you enjoy, you'll never "work" again. Do you have a website?

On topic: If service is within warranty period, leave it to then. Ear plugs will resolve the OCD until then. 🙂

Agreed. Lx make cars like MB used to make them. I'm on my third and thinking of a two year old Rx450h or possibly a newer Rav4 Excel. Not tried the Toyota yet.
Great stuff on the photo front. If you can make money doing something you enjoy, you'll never "work" again. Do you have a website?
On topic: If service is within warranty period, leave it to then. Ear plugs will resolve the OCD until then. [emoji846]

SFTphotography.co.uk

Check the blog

I’ve booked it into the dealer - cannot be doing with this

22 minutes ago, st4 said:

SFTphotography.co.uk

Check the blog

I’ve booked it into the dealer - cannot be doing with this

Thanks. Buona fortuna con la macchina...

Update-Lexus Glasgow will be replacing the clock/spring housing - not the whole rack.

The technical found the noise when manoeuvring the car.

Feelings. Great service from the dealership in terms of communication and email/calls but in disappointed that a car as young as this (2013) from a maker that prides itself on reliability needs a steering component changed at 43k mainly gentle miles. I’ll be extending the warranty if I keep it another year. They recommended I change the tyres but the price wasn’t that competitive. It wasn’t a bad one but I can save a good 20% going with camskill and local fitter.

Excellent.

I just had a look at your Balmaha and Milarochy pics. I used to live in the former and help with the Siene netting for the Duke at the latter. Payment in those days was a Salmon, or a bag of Powan. Memories!

We're thinking of maybe moving back to that area.

Excellent.

I just had a look at your Balmaha and Milarochy pics. I used to live in the former and help with the Siene netting for the Duke at the latter. Payment in those days was a Salmon, or a bag of Powan. Memories!

We're thinking of maybe moving back to that area.

Don’t. It’s awfully rainy and compared to the rest of Scotland remarkably unremarkable. I’m debating upping sticks to France or Spain to the Pyrenees.

Skye would be nice but house prices are high there and the tourists season crazy. Go properly north and live in Assynt etc. Remote and quiet and unspoilt, if you’re really keen on the area somewhere like Aberfoyle, or towards Kinlochard will get you a better view for less money

3 minutes ago, st4 said:

Don’t. It’s awfully rainy and compared to the rest of Scotland remarkably unremarkable. I’m debating upping sticks to France or Spain to the Pyrenees.

Skye would be nice but house prices are high there and the tourists season crazy. Go properly north and live in Assynt etc. Remote and quiet and unspoilt, if you’re really keen on the area somewhere like Aberfoyle, or towards Kinlochard will get you a better view for less money

Yes, we've been looking around all over; from Achiltibuie to Dumfries and many points in between. I have a soft spot for Loch Lomond having been brought up there, but I think tourism has made it intolerable to live there any more. I'd like to go back to Italy, but I think I'm getting too old, and these days I need to be near decent medical facilities. Italian medical theory is wonderful. We'll wait out the Brexit stuff and see what happens.

Yes, we've been looking around all over; from Achiltibuie to Dumfries and many points in between. I have a soft spot for Loch Lomond having been brought up there, but I think tourism has made it intolerable to live there any more. I'd like to go back to Italy, but I think I'm getting too old, and these days I need to be near decent medical facilities. Italian medical theory is wonderful. We'll wait out the Brexit stuff and see what happens.

Couldn’t do Italy. I hate the place. It’s total chaos. France or Spain though and I’m there

Achiltibiue though. Now you’re talking [emoji4]

1 minute ago, st4 said:

Couldn’t do Italy. I hate the place. It’s total chaos. France or Spain though and I’m there

Achiltibiue though. Now you’re talking emoji4.png

So did I. I was there getting my Guzzi sorted for an overland trip to India. Hated the place. Then one day it made sense. And kept making sense for several years 🙂

• Like 1

So did I. I was there getting my Guzzi sorted for an overland trip to India. Hated the place. Then one day it made sense. And kept making sense for several years [emoji846]

It still might continue to make sense ;)

Loch Lomond won’t be how you remembered it - treckers/faux outdoor types/campervans/mobile homes littering the place. Nasty young young people camping and drinking beer/making mess. It’s not all good. Places that tend to be great to visit might not be great to live.

You want to go more off the beaten track or to a less well known beauty spot - somewhere between Aberfeldy and Crieff/Comrie/Killin might also be nice and handy driving distance to the good stuff

I love the Alps but I wouldn’t live there. Too busy, full of people etc. The Pyrenees-less well known, just as nice, far less touristy and I could see a good life for me there

Agreed,  I think Balmaha would be impossible these days. An old school friend from Rowardennan (where another old school friend's father  murdered wife 😞) has built a pub and other stuff in the village. 

I lived in Bath for a while so I know a thing or two about tourists 🙂

Currently in the middle of a field. Not even cows to disturb us, Brexit will decide it for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I’ve never seen a post go so far off topic, around europe and back again 😀

That's what cars are for, touring 🙂

• Like 1

I’ve never seen a post go so far off topic, around europe and back again [emoji3]

What more is there to say, it was making a stupid noise - others like it make similar stupid noises - there’s a known fix in the US where many more people drive this make and model- it’s getting said known fix under warranty and if that doesn’t fix it then there will be more for sure to say.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 2:42 PM, st4 said:

Update-Lexus Glasgow will be replacing the clock/spring housing - not the whole rack.

The technical found the noise when manoeuvring the car.

Feelings. Great service from the dealership in terms of communication and email/calls but in disappointed that a car as young as this (2013) from a maker that prides itself on reliability needs a steering component changed at 43k mainly gentle miles. I’ll be extending the warranty if I keep it another year. They recommended I change the tyres but the price wasn’t that competitive. It wasn’t a bad one but I can save a good 20% going with camskill and local fitter.

Well my 2014 mini Cooper had a complete steering rack replacement at around 12000 miles and 4 months old.. 

Interestingly when my 2015 GS got to around 30,000 miles twice when under heavy braking I heard a slight click and felt the steering wheel move forwards a millimetre or so. Never got investigated as sold the car a few months later

Well my 2014 mini Cooper had a complete steering rack replacement at around 12000 miles and 4 months old.. 

Interestingly when my 2015 GS got to around 30,000 miles twice when under heavy braking I heard a slight click and felt the steering wheel move forwards a millimetre or so. Never got investigated as sold the car a few months later

You’d expect that from a maker like bmw though.

I suspect there’s a design flaw as mines gone, the US forum has reported a few faults.

Otherwise though it really is a brilliant car and I love driving it and otherwise it’s been a faithful companion.

Sorry to butt in, how much is it to extend the warranty?

£1095 but they give you

2 MOTs

2 years warranty

2 years European breakdown

I don’t think it’s cheap but not terrible either considering it’s two years not one.

MOTs are around £50 and my insurer can provide the breakdown for £130/yr so I’d be shelling out £360 for this over 2yrs so subtract £360 from £1095 and it’s actually remarkably good given the peace of mind I now have.