Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Obviously Lexus knows that's when the world really ends.

Cue cheesy impossible CGI effects-heavy movie sponsored by Lexus where the protagonist drives an RX300 through falling buildings and over jumps, all without affecting the car's ability to drive.

At the end of the day, I don't know what you can do really. I'm not sure if that part of the software is updateable.

It does seem a bit short-sighted to put a limit (in my car's case 16 years) on the calendar function if they expected people to use it. It'll be interesting if it also affects the maintenance application. I mean, the cars should last past 2020 so why doesn't the calendar reflect that?

I had my 2005 RX300 SE NAV for two years and didn't even know it had a calendar!

It does beg the question as to why there's even a calendar in a car and what possible use it could be when we have them on our phones, computers, tablets and kitchen/study walls?

18 minutes ago, Rogerhf48 said:

same as clock in a car, radio in a car..we have those on our devices as well.

Nah, is it 'eck.

It's very handy to know the time as you're driving along, either because you have to be somewhere for an appointment or to see how long you've been in a traffic jam; and not listening to music as you drive is quite inconceivable to me - but I've never had an urgent need to know what date it is as I drive along my merry way  😁

While sat in stationary traffic the other day I absent-mindedly flicked onto the calendar in my 2008 GS450H, which presumably runs similar software to your RX400H.  I didn't see when it ends, but I did think "what's the point of this?".

Perhaps the issue is not that it "ends" in 2020, but only that it's capable of showing two years ahead?  It would make more software development sense to programme the system with the date calculation algorithm to show the correct date (and a few years ahead) than it would be hard-code in only a finite range of years.  

3 hours ago, Rogerhf48 said:

Interesting chat/comments - I'll just keep looking..it's out of technical interest actually not just having any urgent need to know the date.

Thanks all any way. 🙂

It is an interesting one.  The calendar will go haywire after the last date in it.  I can't imagine it affecting much.  I just can't understand the technical reasons (being in IT), but then I'm not impressed by the way these mid-2000 Lexus interact with the user.  Looks more like a system designed in the late '80s.

I was stationary in traffic again this morning and took a few pictures of my calendar.

This is how far back it goes.

34a43e160243710455ce7add45e2383c.jpg

And this is how far forward it goes.

333f561b41661b3434c0162b83ea6337.jpg

Interesting that it goes back to 2005 as my car is a 2008 model!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links