Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air conditioning smell

I have had a similar problem (haven't we all) with the not so lovely smell from the Air con but on my Lexus it is different.

Usually it occurred when you turned on the Air con now it happens when I turn it off and lasts for about 10 minutes most unpleasant, to correct on other cars simple answer was to buy one of those smoke bombs that you put in the car start the engine with aircon on full blast for so long and it comes out bad smell gone.

But with the Lexus you cant leave the engine running so would it still work 

Also should it be covered under my service contract with Lexus 

49 minutes ago, Heanorboy said:

I have had a similar problem (haven't we all) with the not so lovely smell from the Air con but on my Lexus it is different.

Usually it occurred when you turned on the Air con now it happens when I turn it off and lasts for about 10 minutes most unpleasant, to correct on other cars simple answer was to buy one of those smoke bombs that you put in the car start the engine with aircon on full blast for so long and it comes out bad smell gone.

But with the Lexus you cant leave the engine running so would it still work 

Also should it be covered under my service contract with Lexus 

Should still work because the air con will still be running despite the engine not being on.

Do you keep the AC on all the time, because you shouldn't be turning it on and off. This is by far the largest cause of bad smells from AC. 

Wont be covered under service plan no. The fact that its happened on such a new car makes me think the AC hasn't been on all the time.

Hi, keep the aircon on at all times, summer and winter. It's false economy to turn it off. Modern systems don't zapp fuel economy like they used to 20 years ago.

Run the system at all times will reduce the bacteria in the system which causes the smells.  

There is oil in the system that lubricates the pump and if turned off will cause the seals on the pump to dry and leak.

Modern Lexus use R1234yf gas which is much more expensive to replace than older gases.

The cost of replacing the pump if the seals fail.

My NX 300h  returns 42 MPG with AC on at all times.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kenson said:

Hi, keep the aircon on at all times, summer and winter. It's false economy to turn it off. Modern systems don't zapp fuel economy like they used to 20 years ago.

Run the system at all times will reduce the bacteria in the system which causes the smells.  

There is oil in the system that lubricates the pump and if turned off will cause the seals on the pump to dry and leak.

Modern Lexus use R1234yf gas which is much more expensive to replace than older gases.

The cost of replacing the pump if the seals fail.

My NX 300h  returns 42 MPG with AC on at all times.

Hope this helps.

The hybrid pumps do not have a shaft seal as in engine driven pumps. The pump is driven by an internal 3 phase variable speed electric motor that runs in the oil, and coolant gas to keep it cool in much the same way as domestic freezers, and fridges. The reason for this is that the engine does not run all of the time.
The big difference with hybrid pumps against standard engine driven systems is in the lubricant used "ND11" against "PAG" as the lubricant must also act as an electrical insulator. The gas used R134A is common to both systems although other gasses are used in some vehicles. PAG oil is conductive, and must under no circumstances be allowed to contaminate a hybrid system. Motor failure is sure to follow sometimes months after slight contamination such as when gas filling equipment is used on both systems.

John