Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is head unit advice

Apologies I doubt it has been asked numerous times but search feature on phone is not the best.

i have a 2nd generation IS 2008 vintage with the bog standard non Mark Levinson head unit,I have 3.5mm aux I’m arm rest

i don’t want to start ripping original head unit out etc but wondered if there’s a way of getting a USB in to play music from  aswell as charge Iphone?

Hi John,

You can use the 12v socket in the armrest to charge your Iphone, but I'm afraid it is somewhat more difficult to get it to play USB audio.

My understanding is there are various adapters you can buy, such as:

https://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=29

Also, this thread has some other ideas:

They almost all require you to remove the head unit, but that is quite straightforward to do. 

Personally, I fitted an OEM ipod adapter to mine, which I then left in the glove box.

• Thanks 1

Oh right ok so head unit removal is most likely needed and it’s not too bad to do then.

in that case what’s needed to fit something aftermarket like a pioneer double din with apple car play. If it’s possible at all that is with how OE is set up

Hi John,

I can say that removal of the head unit isn't too bad since I did it myself to fit the Ipod adapter.

However, I don't really know much about replacing the entire unit with something aftermarket, so I am afraid you might have to have a look around to see what's available.  I have seen some YouTube videos where it has been done, but most of the ones I have seen aren't very OEM looking.

• Thanks 1

They sure do seem rather more expensive than other cars, I got double din Davis kit and can bus steering controller etc for an Alfa 159 for less than £60 recently.

had a better look at the kit I linked above it don’t seem to look too bad just not sure I could justify the cost of it though.

http://www.instahu.com/p/1831381162969252620_3232759414

• 1 year later...

I think the best way is to replace the head unit. I had the same concern with you before I upgrade the head unit on my Lexus GX470 2002 with a new XTRONS PST90CRT. Now I am so satisified it and it keep almost all the original features yet brings me a lot of new modern features.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 4:49 AM, Kailani said:

I think the best way is to replace the head unit. I had the same concern with you before I upgrade the head unit on my Lexus GX470 2002 with a new XTRONS PST90CRT. Now I am so satisified it and it keep almost all the original features yet brings me a lot of new modern features.

I have an XTRONS new model from June, it is not plug and play cause it is universal double din, model is TSD100L, i had to buy the fitting kits from XTRONS to finish the installation, not a hard job though because the unit comes wit wiring diagram. It offers everything you could possibly want in a stereo,  If you’re after a double DIN stereo and have limited budget, XTRONS is the one i would recommend.