Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing - how long?

We bought our car at Lexus Teeside and, even though it's over 100 miles/2 hour drive away, that's where I've set up the servicing and extended warranty agreements. With hindsight, maybe not the most practical of decisions but partly driven by the fact that I'd heard that my nearest dealership (30 miles away) doesn't have a brilliant reputation for servicing/Customer Service and Teeside were absolutely excellent to deal with when we bought the car.

On Monday I'll be ringing to book it in for its 50k/5-year service (even though it's only done 41k) and I'm just wondering how long it will take? I've seen tell on these forums of people dropping off their cars for servicing and getting a courtesy car from the dealer but how long can it be kept? Is it feasible to keep the courtesy car overnight? The logistics involved in getting to Lexus Teeside means that I could only be there for about lunchtime, so would I just have to hang around while they work on my car or would I be able to say that I'd pick it up the day after and keep their courtesy car overnight?

I’d imagine that a reasonable service takes at least two or three hours, and given the way (I imagine) Lexus workshops operate it could be longer if they are waiting on particular service bay or a skilled technician who moves from car to car and so on, not to mention the obligatory car wash and vac.

Your best bet may be to give them a call and mention your time constraints, they’d be able to tell you what’s realistic.

My Lexus dealer usually collects my car from my office, does the work, then brings it back. But they have also previously offered me courtesy cars, lifts, and a free day voucher for the David Lloyd gym/spa down the road.

You could end up making a day out of it!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Have just booked my GS in for a service at Lexus Lincoln and was told 2 hours. Have decided to wait as am not working and am planning on spending time looking around their new and used cars. May even take something for a test drive. I used to use Lexus hedge end and they always gave me a courtesy car for the day as I'd drop it in on the way to work and collect on way home. If I gave them enough notice (about 3 weeks) I was able to select which courtesy car I could have within reason. Never got an LS or LFA but have driven all the rest.

• Like 1

I've only taken advantage of a courtesy  a couple of times, that was when I had my Civic Hybrid, and the Honda dealer was 30 miles away.

They did point out that there was a £500 excess on the insurance in the event of an accident.  After the first couple of years I got it serviced locally.

Beiing retired having another car, and within a three minute walk from my Lexus service centre,  thankfully I am no longer in need of a courtesy  car.

Also as I've found with my other car, not being in need of a courtesy  car, gives you more flexibility of when they can take your car in.

Book your service about 2-3 weeks in advance. State you require a courtesy car. Also state you can't arrive before midday and that you'll pick your car up the next day.

I did that at every service when I had Ford's and was never let down. 

You're the customer after all. 

Called them today and it's booked in for this Friday (12th) with a 12-noon arrival time and he reckoned it would take a couple of hours, so no real need for a courtesy car. If the weather's good I'll go for a walk and if not I'll take my book 😉