Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having left the Lexus scene 3 years for a BMW 330i, it is time to return to the fold. I looked at a 07 plate SEL today that had 100k miles on the clock. My Beemer is a 06 plate with 80k and a msport edition. My wife also has a beemer , so high maintenance bills.

The Lexus i viewed today had service stamps from Lexus up to 80k , but no repair bills. it was generally in good nick,but when i pressed `Agree' on the touchscreen, nothing happened. Does this mean the disc is missing, or something far more sinister? I really want a SEL with all the toys and obviously don't want to part with any cash. the dealer offered a swap plus £300 cash my way. Any advice would be most appreciated.

14 minutes ago, Hondaman said:

Having left the Lexus scene 3 years for a BMW 330i, it is time to return to the fold. I looked at a 07 plate SEL today that had 100k miles on the clock. My Beemer is a 06 plate with 80k and a msport edition. My wife also has a beemer , so high maintenance bills.

The Lexus i viewed today had service stamps from Lexus up to 80k , but no repair bills. it was generally in good nick,but when i pressed `Agree' on the touchscreen, nothing happened. Does this mean the disc is missing, or something far more sinister? I really want a SEL with all the toys and obviously don't want to part with any cash. the dealer offered a swap plus £300 cash my way. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, just got a Lexus and it is the SEL model, I am no expert, but from what I have read, it could be that the touchscreen has gone, but someone on here will tell you in far more detail than I ever could, good luck!

19 hours ago, Hondaman said:

Generally, any of these cars with obvious electrical gremlins from the word go when you look at them, I would steer clear of. There's plenty of them on the market at the moment to have a look at. Mileage or age would not put me off but obviously look for the best deal you can get with the PX car and money to put to it you have. If you had a 250 before moving to BMW then you will know what they are like ... there are no new issues appearing with the 250's since. The screen, while they can go, is not a common issue.

When you turn the car on then you should have the warning screen - pressing the "I agree" button on the screen will allow you access to the system. Did it not work at all ? There is another option on the same screen which lets you select the language "GB" should be shown ... did you try selecting this option and did it open another menu?

Although it's possible to turn off the display on the SATNAV screen, in that case the Lexus logo appears but not the 'I agree' screen, so it sounds like there is a display fault. To confirm, pressing the dest, climate, or audio keys should display something onscreen, if not there's a problem. The touchscreen is fixable but not for the faint hearted.

The dealer knew nothing about this car. When pressing Agree, nothing happened. Also trying to change the language was dead. The surrounding buttons except Destination, all worked. I will not be buying this car as there was also no receipts or old MOT certificates. 

27 minutes ago, Hondaman said:

The dealer knew nothing about this car. When pressing Agree, nothing happened. Also trying to change the language was dead. The surrounding buttons except Destination, all worked. I will not be buying this car as there was also no receipts or old MOT certificates. 

There is a reason for lack of documents passed on... GDPR, car dealers can't pass on old receipts that contain information regarding the previous owner.  Same as the new owner documents from the DVLA., you'll now find that the previous owner information is no longer listed.  It's crap although they are seriously worried about getting sued.

1 hour ago, Hondaman said:

You can easily check the MOT history online through the DVLA portal

1 hour ago, Hondaman said:

Is there a empty slot behind the sat nav unit for a mp3 player such as https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392041356534

The easiest way is to connect an MP3 player to the Aux jack (3.5mm) in the armrest - select Aux on head unit - job done. The Aux socket is pretty useless where its located in the arm rest as there's not a lot there so fix it so its permanent so your MP3 is accessible near the head unit to flick through tracks.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, Hondaman said:

For sat nav I would suspect it is something wrong with NAV disc which just errors all the system. This is based on that everything else works, but not "destination" - probably starts reading disk and crashes. One way or another you not loosing much as entire touchscreen system and sat-nav is total junk in Lexus (even late ones). I had IS250 with sat-nav for over a year ant literally never used it even once - got into the car checked it works and never had a reason to use it. And my one was apparently "latest and greatest" ever fitted in these cars - late 2012 car with HDD sat-nav.

As for car documentation - mot certificates are useless , you can check entire history online. As for car not having any repair bills that is expected - I am 90% sure nothing has broken on it to the date. I got my SE-L with ~120k miles and up to that point nothing has ever broken down or been fixed - have entire history with me and only oils and consumables were changed e.g. brake pads, disk, calipers (often seizes on these cars), tyres and filters. Now driven the car for another 60k miles over 4 years ad again nothing has failed except of thing I have broken "myself":

1. Had to replace washer motors, because it has frozen over abroad with junk "british  -20c" washer fluid, which frozen over at -17c
  2. A/C pump because Lexus topped up coolant without checking for leaks and blew high pressure pipe
  3. New HID bulbs at ~147k (old ones were still the ones from the factory).

That is all in 60k miles on 120k miles car without previous repairs. As long as it has FLSH that is all you should care about - it would be unusual for IS250 to have anything else.

Finally found a car in good nick and will be picking it up next week. It has the ML system, it I'm looking for a gadget that can be integrated into the system so that I can use my iPod, and control from the steering wheel controls. Can someone send me a link? Thanks in advance. Yes I've tried the search button. 

Lexus did (do?) a Ipod Integration kit which I had on my old IS220d.

This one has the same part number as my old one, but it does say it is for an RX so perhaps someone can tell you whether they used the same head unit or not:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282874502505

There are some aftermarket ones I believe, but I don't know if they work with the steering wheel controls or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Back! Picked a 07 plate SE yesterday. I was looking for a SEL but could not resist  this red beauty. The wheels have been refurbished, and finished in matte black. The one feature i had to have was the Mark Levinson system.

After 3 years with a BMW 330i , i forgot how good these cars really are. The beemer killed my enthusiasm for driving. It handled really well, but it was so fragile.My wife also drives a BMW(325i), and her car is just as fragile, so I sold mine whilst it was still worth something.

Ready to start upgrading my IS250. Any recommendations for some new halogen bulbs? This will be my first task, I've been used to having xenon's for the last five years, so need something a lot brighter than the standard halogens.