Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Three child seats in a RX450H

Hypothetical question...

Is anyone on the forum using three child seats in the rear of their first generation (2009 to 2012 ish) RX450H?

I know only the outer two rear seats have Isofix which is ok, but I’m curious as to whether there is sufficient space in the middle for the usual bulky car seat.

As people may or may not know, rules changed recently to mandate that backless booster seats aren’t legal for children under 135cm tall, so the need to accommodate seats is a valid one.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

To my knowledge you are not allowed to put a child seat in the middle of the bench seat. It is not a dedicated seat as such. If you need 3 child seats then you need a car such as the Ford S Max which has 3 individual seats and 3 isofix points. 

Yes you may have seen 3 child seats in rear of cars but they are breaking the law unfortunately. 

To my knowledge you are not allowed to put a child seat in the middle of the bench seat. It is not a dedicated seat as such. If you need 3 child seats then you need a car such as the Ford S Max which has 3 individual seats and 3 isofix points. 
Yes you may have seen 3 child seats in rear of cars but they are breaking the law unfortunately. 

With respect, I’m not sure you’re right about this.

While pretty much every car has Isofix these days it’s not a legal requirement to mandate the use of Isofix to secure a child seat. Said child seat can be secured by the seat belt if it is designed that way.

In the old days when the rear bench seats just had lap belts in the centre I can see how that would definitely not be desirable for securing a seat plus child, but given now that most cars have three point belts in the middle it comes down to whether there is sufficient space to mount three seats in a line.

I only quoted 3 isofix points as the S Max has them. 

The middle seat even tho it has the 3 point seat belts can not be used for a baby seat. Ask at shops that sell them. Also car dealers. Also the police.

I looked into it a few years back but i believe that rule is still in place. I may be wrong but do ask the shops that sell child seats.

I only quoted 3 isofix points as the S Max has them. 
The middle seat even tho it has the 3 point seat belts can not be used for a baby seat. Ask at shops that sell them. Also car dealers. Also the police.
I looked into it a few years back but i believe that rule is still in place. I may be wrong but do ask the shops that sell child seats.

I don’t have a baby seat shop, or a car dealer, or the police to hand at the moment, but will Her Majesty’s Government do?

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

In case I’ve missed it, please tell me where it says the middle seat cannot be used as this would also seem to contravene this advice?

https://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing-using/positioning-child-car-seats-in-cars/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just doubt there is enough space to fit 3 in a row. Also depends on the types of seat of course, but even if you could, how are you gonna reach to the middle with a seat on either side? Seems impractical.

This What Car article might be worth a read

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-cars-for-three-child-seats/n16741

From the article......Using a Multimac might be an option?

ac3d5a9ec6d41a153b9055c961d6a7a48297a3f9

"The Multimac allows you to seat up to four kids across a car’s rear row, transforming one that might only have been able to accommodate two child seats into one that can take up to four. Depending on which model you choose, the manufacturer claims it provides flexible seating options for children from 0-12 years old (36kg)."

• Like 1

I just doubt there is enough space to fit 3 in a row. Also depends on the types of seat of course, but even if you could, how are you gonna reach to the middle with a seat on either side? Seems impractical.

I don’t disagree it may be inconvenient to stretch to reach the middle seat, but this is less impractical than leaving a child behind.

• Like 1

This What Car article might be worth a read
https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-cars-for-three-child-seats/n16741
From the article......Using a Multimac might be an option?
ac3d5a9ec6d41a153b9055c961d6a7a48297a3f9.jpg&key=9672ef048d1bd205a063acd8b7d140dd88e6fb3a5db14b98d309f3515e42ea7e
"The Multimac allows you to seat up to four kids across a car’s rear row, transforming one that might only have been able to accommodate two child seats into one that can take up to four. Depending on which model you choose, the manufacturer claims it provides flexible seating options for children from 0-12 years old (36kg)."

Thank you Nemesis for the article link and the insight on the Multimac. While expensive I’d imagine they are cheaper than being forced into buying an Audi Q7 and would seem to allow someone to retain their dignity compared with having to drive a French diesel MPV. [emoji846]

• Like 2

We have three children (now 10, 7 and 5) and over the years have had to consider this problem many times. And sorry Mr Vlad but you are mistaken. If the belts are there then it's perfectly fine to fit more than two seats. And I didn't read any of the subsequent links but unfortunately OP, you're a bit wrong too. Backless boosters are perfectly legal for smaller children if they were purchased/manufactured prior to February 2017. One of those really weak neither here nor there safety regs. Whether you'd want to use them is something else entirely.

However, the main sticking point I've found is how the middle belt is positioned. Trust me I've tried dozens of estates, SUVs and MPVs and even if you can get three seats side by side, if the socket end of the seatbelt is recessed into the seat or is on some sort of firm but flexible attachment it's a complete non starter. The middle seat will sit on top of it and the child won't be able to buckle themselves up. You also won't be able to lean in and do it for them because the space is too tight or it's disappeared under the seat.

This is currently our family wagon. Not a Q7, not diesel and certainly not French :biggrin:

6xLHWX6l.jpg

Basically, for your own sanity if you're part of a family of 5 or more and regularly transport them all over the place you need something that's designed for that job. Sanity being the key word there.

• Like 2

Thanks Rich. Over the weekend I spent a bit of time looking into it and drew the same as you. And oh my oh my what a perfect family vehicle you have. To those who don't know it's a S Max just as the car I've mentioned. 

What I found strange however was that a child over 3 years old can sit in the middle and use the adult strap????? Totally stupid me thinks.

But if 3 child seats can fit then perhaps put the middle one in 1st then place child in it then do either side. Maybe that would work. 

Nice car you have Rich. I've considered one and am kinda tempted by the new 240 horse 8 speed auto vignale

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

We have three children (now 10, 7 and 5) and over the years have had to consider this problem many times. And sorry Mr Vlad but you are mistaken. If the belts are there then it's perfectly fine to fit more than two seats. And I didn't read any of the subsequent links but unfortunately OP, you're a bit wrong too. Backless boosters are perfectly legal for smaller children if they were purchased/manufactured prior to February 2017. One of those really weak neither here nor there safety regs. Whether you'd want to use them is something else entirely.

However, the main sticking point I've found is how the middle belt is positioned. Trust me I've tried dozens of estates, SUVs and MPVs and even if you can get three seats side by side, if the socket end of the seatbelt is recessed into the seat or is on some sort of firm but flexible attachment it's a complete non starter. The middle seat will sit on top of it and the child won't be able to buckle themselves up. You also won't be able to lean in and do it for them because the space is too tight or it's disappeared under the seat.

This is currently our family wagon. Not a Q7, not diesel and certainly not French :biggrin:

6xLHWX6l.jpg

Basically, for your own sanity if you're part of a family of 5 or more and regularly transport them all over the place you need something that's designed for that job. Sanity being the key word there.

Thanks for taking the time to respond from your personal experiences of fitting three child seats across the back - it's great to hear experiences rooted in real-world knowledge. 

In your years of balancing car choices with family requirements have you ever considered the Multimac offerings?  I've spent a few minutes on their website and while expensive their products do appear to resolve challenges of finding a specific car that can accommodate more than two young children in the back. 

This picture shows the three seat version installed in the back of a BMW 5 Series (presumably not a car where three 'normal' seats would fit), where the far seat is a rear facing baby seat.

27901857_10159830957360386_11122975_o_la

https://multimac.co.uk/home

Thanks to Peter (NemesisUK) for informing me!

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Nice car you have Rich. I've considered one and am kinda tempted by the new 240 horse 8 speed auto vignale

Thank you! That is the 240 petrol but it's the ST-Line. Through Ford Business Lease it was cheaper than the hateful derv. And derv is hateful.

The latest in a long line of family carriers that has included a wonderful XC90 with the built in middle booster and 7 seats, a first gen S-Max, one or two V70s with built in outer boosters and seven seats, a Touran and God knows what else. I did get everyone in our RX to go to Cornwall this year but that was because there was a shipping delay with the Ford and money did have to change hands with my 10 year old before he'd squash in between his brother and sister.

1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond from your personal experiences of fitting three child seats across the back - it's great to hear experiences rooted in real-world knowledge. 

In your years of balancing car choices with family requirements have you ever considered the Multimac offerings?  I've spent a few minutes on their website and while expensive their products do appear to resolve challenges of finding a specific car that can accommodate more than two young children in the back. 

This picture shows the three seat version installed in the back of a BMW 5 Series (presumably not a car where three 'normal' seats would fit), where the far seat is a rear facing baby seat.

27901857_10159830957360386_11122975_o_la

https://multimac.co.uk/home

Thanks to Peter (NemesisUK) for informing me!

You're welcome.

The Multimac thing always gets suggested but I've never met anyone online that has got one. Probably because the usual pics of them make them look awful. That one in the BMW looks OK though. And I know for a fact that set up with regular seats wouldn't fit in a 5er because I've tried! You end up researching floorpans and rear bench widths an awful lot but usually it's seat belt buckles that do for your plans. One of mine is out of a seat now but in the past (in no particular order) I've tried the Merc GLE, VW Touareg, BMW 5 series/3 series/3 series GT, Audi A6, Jaguar XF and so many medium sized SUV/crossover things I've lost count.

So, if your hypothetical question is related to something than may be cooking as we speak (:biggrin:) go as big as you can with as many seats as possible. There are plenty of good cars that fit that description. Or if you must go for a five seater look into Volvos and their built in boosters. They're brilliant.

Ah Rich. The Vignale one I'm tempted by is the evil diesel one lol. But your engine is one I love. Had it in my beloved and missed mk4.5 more do titanium x sport. What a car and mucked up swapping it for my previous is300h lol.

I too had this problem with a 10 reg RX450, and no matter how I tried (and I have tried), I just could not get 3 child seats into the back of one.

Hence I’m now a happy owner of a 66reg S Max and have 3 seats comfortably across the middle row.

5 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Blimey another super S Max. 

Somehow that could be the answer.

They are good cars, especially in petrol in my opinion.  I’ve got the 2.0 240bhp auto and it flys, albeit a little thirsty.  

The problem with multimac is that you lose the versatility of how the car was designed, if you need to have a flexible boot for example, you are screwed?  

Nothing really beats a ‘designed to be’ 7 seater with 3 isofox across the middle row.  

The problem with multimac is that you lose the versatility of how the car was designed, if you need to have a flexible boot for example, you are screwed?  

Not necessarily. Once fitted the Multimac is secured via what looks like ratchet straps structurally tethered to the car structure. The website suggests the Multimac can be removed in under a minute. While I’m not sure I believe the time claim it’s essentially just as removable as a single car seat, just takes up more storage space.

That said, in over six years years of fatherhood the only reasons I’ve ever taken the child seats out of the cars have been because the car is going away for maintenance work longer than a day and I need to use the seats in a courtesy car, or if I’m selling it!

10 hours ago, T Sport 1978 said:

Nothing really beats a ‘designed to be’ 7 seater with 3 isofox across the middle row.  

I agree. I'd never go for the multimac thing. The number of times we swap cars, move seats, carry more than 5 or want to split the little sweethearts up. Just not that practical for us.

Over the years I've realised making do or compromising just doesn't cut it. 

Multimac or not is a personal choice at the end of the day. I've not looked into them personally as I've no need. However personally speaking it looks ruddy awful and looks like it'd be a pain to fit and take out. To tether it down securely would either take two people one at each end or numerous trips to either side whilst pulling the straps bit by bit till done. I can see that thing being installed wrongly by some.

• 2 years later...