Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Issue - Car wont start

So I have had my IS250 5 months, bought from a main dealer, recently I have been having problems with the car starting, even after being used every day for my commute to work which is 30 miles to and from work. I have had the AA out twice, they have tested the Battery and there was 0.7amps coming from the Battery after they jump started it. I have been using the car daily, but today got in it as I was working from home, and it's completely dead, won't start, no warning lights, anything.

Checked the boot, glovebox, all the doors, radio was off, lights off, wipers off.  Has anyone come across this problem before, it's off to Lexus on Friday as its the earliest they can get me in.

I am a bit disheartened as I've only had the car for 5 months.

Probably the Battery is knackered - it happens.

Suggest you just get a new one - you need a type 068 (rare - most likely won't be in stock in your local Battery shop). You'll find people here recommend Bosch S4026 or Varta E23 (they are identical to all intents and purposes)

A dealer will charge the earth, both for the Battery and fitting. You can get one yourself and fit it for about £80 or so.

• Like 1

It's going to the dealer Friday for an investigation, rather than go to Halfords (don't trust them tbh), just to see whether it actually needs a new Battery, as the AA guys have said that it seems to be fine, but the dealer where I bought it from could not tell me when it was last changed.

EuroCar Parts recommends this: https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Lexus_IS_2.5_2009/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770306&1&323fc780610c1e4104c58d542cf28cb7f03decbb&000020

6 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

It's going to the dealer Friday for an investigation, rather than go to Halfords (don't trust them tbh), just to see whether it actually needs a new battery, as the AA guys have said that it seems to be fine, but the dealer where I bought it from could not tell me when it was last changed.

EuroCar Parts recommends this: https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Lexus_IS_2.5_2009/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770306&1&323fc780610c1e4104c58d542cf28cb7f03decbb&000020

Why take it to Lexus and pay them to tell you the same thing, it's the Battery, its knackered.  God knows what Lexus will charge to tell you that.

Just now, baviaannl said:

Why take it to Lexus and pay them to tell you the same thing, it's the battery, its knackered.  God knows what Lexus will charge to tell you that.

It's under warranty, seeing as the nearest europarts to me is by the dealer, I would rather go there, as I don't want to get a new Battery and its not fixed the problem. I am also wondering should I even pay for one, as I bought it from the main dealer, so should it not have been checked, as part of the service & mot is it not?

Fair enough - you'll need the alternator checking as well. It's hard to tell if a Battery is OK without a comprehensive test - just because it takes a quick emergency charge and gives reading for a while doesn't mean much

Note that you are unlikely to get a type 068 Battery at Halfords, and don't let them fob you off with something else (which might or might not do the job). The one you link to is a type 031 - completely wrong.

Search for type 068 on Google - EuroCar Parts and Car Parts4Less usually sell them, but they won't list the 068 as correct for the IS250. That seems to be a secret known only to us on here!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnatg said:

Fair enough - you'll need the alternator checking as well. It's hard to tell if a battery is OK without a comprehensive test - just because it takes a quick emergency charge and gives reading for a while doesn't mean much

Note that you are unlikely to get a type 068 battery at Halfords, and don't let them fob you off with something else (which might or might not do the job). The one you link to is a type 031 - completely wrong.

Search for type 068 on Google - EuroCar Parts and Car Parts4Less usually sell them, but they won't list the 068 as correct for the IS250. That seems to be a secret known only to us on here!

Thanks for that,  I want them to check the car before assuming its the Battery. Oh right, that's not very good on EuroCar Parts, its what comes up when I enter my reg. Giving customers the wrong information. I will have a look for that Battery now, what you recommended. Thanks

https://www.eurocarparts.com/068-car-batteries

Defo get the Bosch 068 type. Did mine a few months back. The first signs of winter and your Battery will no doubt get worse.

Our cars are similar age...it happens ...some batteries go 10 years, some go 7 or so. Variety of factors lead to Battery death. As John says they are often around £80 mark inc delivery on eBay from reliable sellers. Euro car parts are often quite a bit more ...like £110 or so.

• Like 1

Do you still have the OEM factory fitted black top/clear sides Panasonic Battery in your car ?

If so then as it is coming up to 10 years old then it had done quite well in the scheme of things ( all that electrical kit in a SE-L would kill a lesser Battery in no time). Mine lasted just over 10 years and was OK one day and Click Click Click the next, so treat her to a Bosch (about £80-90 and all should be good for another 4-5 years)

Check out this thread from last year that covers all you need to know about Battery replacement for the 250.

• Like 1

+1 to the notifications above that its probably the Battery.

A dead one like explained above will initially charge but will discharge very quick. The car does use power for its systems but not to an extent it will drain it over night.

A dead Battery will throw up a lot of spurious faults also that will lead you on the wrong path in looking for the fault. If yours has a Panasonic fitted then best guess its the original one and 9 years for a Battery is not a bad lifespan for one. Like everyone else on here has said, the 068 is the correct one - also replaced one myself to my old 10 year old car and that was a replacement from the original one.

• Like 1

The car would have been in transit and storage for quite a while. It was probably actually built in about August 08.

No reason to change a Battery (or anything else) if it still works OK. Presumably it was starting the car fine when you bought it?  Modern batteries often fail without warning - just one of the hazards of running an older car.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, johnatg said:

The car would have been in transit and storage for quite a while. It was probably actually built in about August 08.

No reason to change a battery (or anything else) if it still works OK. Presumably it was starting the car fine when you bought it?  Modern batteries often fail without warning - just one of the hazards of running an older car.

It was fine when I bought it, just this last week it’s been at fault. Get a new Battery Friday and get the dealer to check the car over, so it’s a 100%

+1 for fitting a Bosch Battery. If you're a member of Costco or know someone who is. They stock Bosch batteries in the tyre centre. Not sure of cost but another option. Get it changed asap. Nothing worse than being let down by an old Battery and always happens at stupid o clock when you can't do anything.

You can tell it happened to me with my old car bloody pain

A simple guideline would be to change your Battery after 6 years just to be on the safe side as most batteries are past their best by then anyway,always better to be safe rather than sorry and a lot less hassle 😊 

18 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

Warranty should not cover battery. Nor it is part of mot.

Let us know what dealer says.

Your right the Battery is not covered. I thought a Battery was checked as either part of the mot or service?

Certainly not part of the Mot. And no more than a visual check (including electrolyte level when there are cell caps) at the service.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

With regards MOT and Batteries then the only thing that is checked is security and integrity. ie that it is securely fixed and is not leaking any fluids.

paul m.

image.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rdb85 said:

Lexus £105 for a battey supplied and fitted. No bad considering the Bosch one is £95 on eBay. Plus any issues I can go back the dealer. I will let you know the outcome tomorrow. 

Not a bad price I suppose and with a bit of piece of mind although beware of a bit of sales tactics if they give the car a "health check"

Make sure they reset the windows but its quite easy to do yourself

Just on the same theme regarding batteries - Hankook do batteries but not sure it they are the same spec as the Bosch or Panasonic ones but the Battery type is 068 and a lot cheaper than the Bosch ones

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/hankook-mf57029.html

Thats a decent innings for a Battery...nigh on 10 years

If they are fitting and disposing of the old one then yes go with the Lexus price for the sake of saving £20 elsewhere. 

I've ordered several from here...next day delivery and decent prices. (they also sell on eBay where the prices are cheaper)

https://www.tayna.co.uk/