Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Computer

billybandit

hi all, i have just got myself a lap top. what it is i want to do is connect to the internet remotely, my home pc is running broadband. what do i need so i can sit down stairs with the lap top, but still connect to my broadband which is located up stairs, without having to run cables all round the house :mat: not very clued up on computers so all help much appreciated :D .

yes, but you would have to set your other PC as the web-sever for your laptop.

Whereas, this you could connect 2 to 4 computers via RS232, and the your laptop wirelessly. It will replace your current broadband modem, and is 'always on', so the second the PC boots, you will be able to access the web..

It also has a firewall, and is simple to set up and use (I have the non-wireless verison at home)

But depending on your laptop, you may need a PCMIA wireless network card..

yes, but you would have to set your other PC as the web-sever for your laptop.

i am doing away with my home computer and i am just going to use the lap top, so can i keep my exsisting modem and just connect something to that ? sorry i'm a bit :duh:

still carnt get my head round this :mat: help , i am doing away with my old computer and using my laptop. my ntl broadband connection is up stairs in my house. can i just plug something in to the ntl modem to able me to sit downstairs and surf? the ntl modem has an ethernet connection and usb. thanks again :)

still carnt get my head round this :mat: help , i am doing away with my old computer and using my laptop. my ntl broadband connection is up stairs in my house. can i just plug something in to the ntl modem to able me to sit downstairs and surf? the ntl modem has an ethernet connection and usb. thanks again :)

In a word, No.

You would have to buy a replacement for your NTL modem. Something like i posted above...

Its no problem, as you can still connect to NTL broadband with the new modem/router, you just need the username/password.

Also, if you get a wireless modem/router, you will need to connect via ethernet to configure it, but once its up and running, you should be able to use it as wireless all the time..

hope this helps.

still carnt get my head round this :mat:  help , i am doing away with my old computer and using my laptop. my ntl broadband connection is up stairs in my house. can i just plug something in to the ntl modem to able me to sit downstairs and surf? the ntl modem has an ethernet connection and usb. thanks again  :)

In a word, No.

You would have to buy a replacement for your NTL modem. Something like i posted above...

Its no problem, as you can still connect to NTL broadband with the new modem/router, you just need the username/password.

Also, if you get a wireless modem/router, you will need to connect via ethernet to configure it, but once its up and running, you should be able to use it as wireless all the time..

hope this helps.

thanks mate :D , a bloke in pc world said it could be done, but he seemed a bit off a numpty :duh: . i'll change the modem then

You would have to buy a replacement for your NTL modem.

This is a bad idea. NTL expect to see their modems of the end of the cable. You won't get support from them if you remove it. Also you don't know their settings so you probably won't get it working.

This is not ADSL this is a cable modem.

You need a firewall/router for cable which has two ethernet connections, not the normal ADSL port and one ethernet.

Well, the only way it can be done, is if you have a 'processing element' connected to the modem (unless the NTL modem is an intelligent one) to activate and sustain the broadband connection.

Yes the cable modems are intelligent. They will maintain the connection. This is not your rubbish ADSL where you have to 'dial up'. It's an always active connection.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links