Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey everybody

Just completed a 4250 miles Grand Tour of the emerald isle .........  stunning vistas, brilliant, exactly 4 weeks and some 3514 miles  in Ireland, the rest to and fro Holyhead

Changed my front tyres before I left and the rears on my return date on 214k miles  225/60/16  Maxxis All Seasons £96 a corner all-up

these tyres feel quite grippy and good, four firm feet on the ground ☺️

they replace ordinary Maxxis HR1 ?.......  which covered about 30k miles.

Drawback was the OEM wiper rubbers replaced at the last service at 205k miles, the drivers side smears and no amount of cleaning the rubber or the screen shifts the irritant. I won't be buying OEM again, they are quite expensive and whereas before they lasted 3yrs / 40k miles, this latest batch just aren't good quality from Toyota/Lexus

The car performed magnificently ....  dealt with the twisty climbs and switchbacks and all else Irish roads could throw at her,  just brilliant performance

Not a single worry or fault, just brilliant motoring, but only as we all come to expect from our Ls 400s

No idea how much fuel etc or the mpg BUT what I do know is she performed sooooo well that upon return she had a hand wash and now sparkles again :yahoo:

EXCEPT

my own stupid fault i know .......  many roads there come to an abrupt end with no prior warning before you start the journey down them ........  rather than reversing back along this particular dastardly road i decided to do a 3point or more turn and as ever, Irish walls are a little unforgiving and I've got to have a little cosmetic re-adjustment done to the rear passenger door cosmetics :Jumpy:

No rush though .  I'm a little knackered still 

I'm sure no other car can deliver the comfort and serenity, quiet confidence and excellence of mind restfulness that the Ls400 can ....  let alone supreme driver comfort from any or many hours of sitting in the armchair relaxing driving at peace with the world ......  and Ireland

Malc

• Like 3

Sounds like a nice way to use up some petrol, wish I had the time to undertake such a magnificent tour as my experience of working in Dublin, Shannon, Belfast has exposed me to a small amount of the beauty of the Emerald Isle.

Agree that cars and walls are not a good match, and neither is an LS fitting snugly in it's parking bay when other drivers around cannot seem to park a Micra (other smalls cars available), with scuffing the LS.  Been using T-cut a little more than usual this year.  At least one of the owners had the courtesy to leave a note and an email, but T-cut and elbow grease got 99% of scuff out.

I wish I knew what my previous garage (no longer in action) fitted to wipers, they were not OEM, but 2.5 years on still working brilliant, and I am aware a 19 year old pitted windscreen is going to wear the blades a little worse than a brand new screen. 

Amazing experience and so far as i can remember the scenery i found was just simply world class ...............

My memory might not be so good these days but as a lad, well 30+ years ago, I ventured to trekking in the Himalya, the Andes the Drakensburg ranges too and quite frankly my explorations into the depths of the Republic found me gasping with amazement ...............  and at how the car coped with the quite mountainous ( but green ) terrain roads.

Never been before, apart from  a half day in Dublin on a open topped tour bus ..  and thoroughly enjoyed that too 

I shall be going back for sure....  the b&bs and small cheapy hotels were just brilliant ........ the art to find a b&b across the road from the pub where 5 pints of Guinness enabled one to roll across the road to bed without teetering too much on/off the barstool :rolleyes:

Twas Brilliant

Malc

• Haha 1

Thanks for that report Malc, very enlightening. Cos I am lazy, is there any chance you kept your route, and a log of the places that you stayed in as I am sure my LS fancies a trip over the water 😜. Rgds, Roger 

Sounds superb Malc.  I would love to take my LS across.  My wife is a Doherty, not O'Doherty so her ancestors took the soup!  Maybe I should give Cornwall and Scotland a miss next year.  Glad your LS coped so well but how did you cope after 5 pints? !!

Slightly off topic I know but in keeping with your Irish theme, as I type I'm listening to Declan O'Rourke's latest album called "Chronicles of the Great Irish Famine"

He's really rather great, saw him and his band live in Sheffield in  April, superb.  

Rock on LS!

Gentlemen and ladies ...................  the 5 pints of Guinness were only imbibed with no fear of driving afterwards ................. the traditional Live Band music was just brilliant too ....  what happens when the golden oldies playing in these groups vanish heaven only knows ..  the bars will never be the same.

As for my route, well, I just headed south for the East Coast route out of the Port of Dublin ( euro1.40 exit fee, I know not why ! ) which takes you on ordinary roads rather than that darned Toll Road/M'way whatever it is ........ these East Coast roads are a good start to your tour .............  then just head south, take your time, there are many coves and bits and bobs to see along the way ..... not least the sunrise over the sea at Dun Laogharie if you're on the overnight ferry that docks about 6am on a bright clear morning .............  a grand start to Ireland.

Then just carry along the coast until your car fancies stopping for breakfast, coffee, lunch, coffee and more coffee ......  then about 4 or 5pm start looking out for a suitable b&b ........  there are plenty usually, most were quite good, some exceptionally so, rarely just ok.

Irish hospitality abounds .....  take your time, take in the views and go back for more

The Ring of Kerry I did twice, each ring takes a whole day, 125 miles of pure joy ...........  stay in the same b&b for those two nights on each occasion , then there's no rush

Then up the coast to Malin Head at the very Top of Ireland ....  it's a very very very long and stunning coastal road .............  then down to Londonderry and for me a quite uncomfortable feeling in Northern Ireland, I don't know, it just felt scary seeing the graffiti, clear sectarianism stuff and British Army vehicles trundling around .........  not getting the same warm feeling from the locals and cafes and restaurants that I had in the Republic .. however, I travelled some 200 miles in NI and stayed at one night's b&b before heading back to Malin village ......  and continuing my tour of Ireland in a more calm and contented feeling ............. atmosphere ............

The 4 weeks passed well, brilliant all round ........... but I stayed mainly in the Republic ............  and I'll sure go back for a lot more of the same

Cost, well, who worries about that ....  you only live the once and your Ls will take you on many more excellent tours too .....  well fingers xd mine will me :yahoo:

Malc

Hope I haven't bored you all

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nickd said:

Sounds superb Malc.  I would love to take my LS across.  My wife is a Doherty, not O'Doherty so her ancestors took the soup!  Maybe I should give Cornwall and Scotland a miss next year.  Glad your LS coped so well but how did you cope after 5 pints? !!

Slightly off topic I know but in keeping with your Irish theme, as I type I'm listening to Declan O'Rourke's latest album called "Chronicles of the Great Irish Famine"

He's really rather great, saw him and his band live in Sheffield in  April, superb.  

Rock on LS!

Now as beautiful as Ireland is, and with my wife being Irish I certainly have experienced the Emerald Isle, you can't (as I can't) give Cornwall a miss, you'll experience bereavement!  In fact we've just today booked a few nights at the Gurnards Head Hotel for November.  Ireland is stunning mind, and this post has made me think about a return trip.🍀🍀🍀🌨🎻

Great to hear you enjoyed your Ireland trip Malc.

As an Irish man I would be happy to welcome any fellow Lexi owners if they are in need of advice on places to visit or help over this side of the pond (although I'm only a little IS owner compared to the LS....)

Glad you enjoyed your road trip over. It's a small little isle but has plenty of stunning coast line. I understand your comments about northern Ireland it can be a mixed welcome sometimes depending on the areas you go through whether you are Irish or English. You should try time a trip to include a private track day around Mondello. Trackdays.ie has the schedule for the next few months. 

Same as above if anyone wants info on places to visit in Ireland or that, Drop me a pm also. I'm based in Dublin but can help with suggestions around the country. 

On 10/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, The-Acre said:

Now as beautiful as Ireland is, and with my wife being Irish I certainly have experienced the Emerald Isle, you can't (as I can't) give Cornwall a miss, you'll experience bereavement!  In fact we've just today booked a few nights at the Gurnards Head Hotel for November.  Ireland is stunning mind, and this post has made me think about a return trip.🍀🍀🍀🌨🎻

I mentioned this to my wife and she agrees, Sennen can't be missed.  We went to the Gurnards Head a few years back and had a nice pint.  Whenever we pass I always think I'd like to go back.  Seems highly regarded!

6 hours ago, nickd said:

I mentioned this to my wife and she agrees, Sennen can't be missed.  We went to the Gurnards Head a few years back and had a nice pint.  Whenever we pass I always think I'd like to go back.  Seems highly regarded!

The food is just superb. Were having 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast, the accommodation is excellent.  We will of course take the dog down to Sennen beach. A shame the Old Success is now under new management. It's sadly no longer what it used to be.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

The food is just superb. Were having 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast, the accommodation is excellent.  We will of course take the dog down to Sennen beach. A shame the Old Success is now under new management. It's sadly no longer what it used to be.

At what height does a child cease to be eligible for the small children`s menu?  :):):)

Seems a very nice place to visit.

41 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

At what height does a child cease to be eligible for the small children`s menu?  :):):)

Seems a very nice place to visit.

Good question, not one that I'll be able to test tough!  I think one of the reasons we like the Cornish coastline is because it's very similar to Ireland and the people are just as laid back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Do you ever take a walk round the coast path to the Minnack from sennen and then to porthcurno,it is a stunning place to be.?

Salcombe in devon is another favourite place of ours.

2 hours ago, Eame64 said:

Do you ever take a walk round the coast path to the Minnack from sennen and then to porthcurno,it is a stunning place to be.?

Salcombe in devon is another favourite place of ours.

We have done that walk, beautiful and a tad dodgy!  A couple of years ago we did Gurnards Head to Penzance on the coast path, and back to the GH in five days, just amazing.