Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

New member here.

Have taken delivery of my first Lexus and while I am impressed by much of the cars luxury look and feel, I have a couple of issues and wonder if other owners have the same issues that I have.

I find that the camera does not register all speed signs. For instance when driving on a motorway and entering a variable speed area the camera will sometimes register a new speed alert from the overhead gantry, and at other times  will not register it.

I am also mystified as to why a speed limit sign will sometimes appear on the heads up display only to disappear for no reason. I have taken both points up with Lexus technical deptartment but they have been less than helpful. As with the sales person who sold me the car who said “ that’s a the way it is” 

Am I alone or are these issues normal problems with Lexus cars. My last car being a Hyundai Tucson had managed to register all speed  signs.

1 hour ago, Jimbo300h said:

Hi

New member here.

Have taken delivery of my first Lexus and while I am impressed by much of the cars luxury look and feel, I have a couple of issues and wonder if other owners have the same issues that I have.

I find that the camera does not register all speed signs. For instance when driving on a motorway and entering a variable speed area the camera will sometimes register a new speed alert from the overhead gantry, and at other times  will not register it.

I am also mystified as to why a speed limit sign will sometimes appear on the heads up display only to disappear for no reason. I have taken both points up with Lexus technical deptartment but they have been less than helpful. As with the sales person who sold me the car who said “ that’s a the way it is” 

Am I alone or are these issues normal problems with Lexus cars. My last car being a Hyundai Tucson had managed to register all speed  signs.

The speed camera recognition only seems to work for extremely obvious signs. Mine is hit and miss. 

It pops up on the HUD to tell you what the speed limit is when it changes. It then goes away as it presumes you'll remember it until it changes again.

I dont find the function useful tbh. 

Agree with @rayaans - not a very useful function imho.

@Jimbo300hmy NX doesn't always register the right speed sign either. It's right in about 80% of cases, but signs are often dirty or hidden which is when it gets caught out. Hyundai must be very clever because my previous Hondas and various other cars I've driven with similar functionality are equally hit and miss.

I believe that the speed disappears completely when the camera hasn't seen a sign of any sort for a distance.

My wife’s Yaris Icon Tech has the same feature. IMHO it’s as useful as a chocolate teapot!

As has been stated in the previous posts here it doesn’t read some signs, for no reason it can state 70mph in a 20mph limit and after a while it cancels itself then restarts when it reads another speed sign.

I certainly would never rely on it and in fact it has been switched off in her car.

19 minutes ago, Zoot1948 said:

My wife’s Yaris Icon Tech has the same feature. IMHO it’s as useful as a chocolate teapot!

It's like they invented something to be useful to only people not legally or morally entitled to use the roads.

The idea is good and probably works well in countries with clear clean road signs but over here with dirty, partly obscured and twisted road signs it is not all that useful. I had a courtesy IS 300h with this and like others found it only worked reliably some 60% of the time and threw up some very odd speed limits at other times - certainly not to be relied on...! 

Well i think the whole system is a bit of an attempt to help drivers who can't guess the correct speed limit of a road. 

The older system on my RX was much better. It was just built into the sat nav system and would get speed limit info from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1