Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A bit of spit and polish...

Just now, Twellsie said:

seems unlikely as the consumption of the oil would be pretty much instantaneous, but as said is not really detrimental anyway.

Just been reading up on the RR-Racing AOS and was a little concerned to read that it is sealed system, given that they state it runs high PCV's!! 

@Twellsie Don’t know Matey above my pay grade more techie people on here than me like @Comedian or @Peter P18

Big Rat

Hey Nick,

Happy to help where I can. It’s nice to see a few taking steps into the modified scene, as it can be pretty lonely and sole destroying when you’re doing something on your own. Biggest gripe would be the added costs. Whilst there are now plenty of mods to choose from thanks to the big names in the States, there aren’t many tuners around who know our cars. Result being higher fitting and setup costs due to not having clear guides or experience working with the cars. Lee Perryman and the team at SRD tuning in West Sussex are I believe the most experienced tuner now for the IS F having tackled a host of jobs on my car. They did the USRS, changed the suspension, fitted performance manifolds/headers, supercharger kit, and my annual service. Can’t rate or thank them enough. Being Toyota lovers, they enjoy working on my car because it’s different to the usual big power Supra’s and GTR’s they see most days.

Ian at H&S is a top guy. He’s been a pleasure to work with, and I don’t have any complaints or issues with my system or experience with him. I know others aren’t as lucky, but anything hand made is always a bigger gamble. Take my ceramic coated tips. The finish went funny not that long after I had it fitted. Despite being a part H&S outsourced for me, Ian asked me to bring it back, fitted temporary tips so it didn’t look odd or damage my carbon diffuser, and sent them off to be recoated at no charge. 

I know a few have gone with other manufacturers with good results, so maybe try and do a club meet at some point to see/hear a few to decide what you like?

I try to help with costs by bringing some smaller bits back when I travel to the States on business, or add things if I am getting something bigger sent over (did a group buy for the USRS a while back). Exhausts are tricky though. The big Japanese brands are lovely, but size means you have to eat a lot of import tax, VAT and shipping costs. The worry I had was if they go wrong. Not something you want to try sending back as a warranty claim! Would cost a fortune!! 😳😱

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Twellsie Don’t know Matey above my pay grade more techie people on here than me like @Comedian or @Peter P18

Big Rat

the smoke in the video I would say was un burnt fuel in the exhaust from over run fuelling,, many manufacturers tweak the MAPs of cars appearing on car shows.

• Haha 1

Best person to ask is Rafi at RR-Racing.

Not sure if folks have ever read his bio?

http://blog.rr-racing.com/news/company/

Guy is seriously talented, and has the degrees and experience to back it up.

I’m reasonably technically minded, but freely admit it’s a self taught hobby.

When I have spoken to Rafi, he clearly works on a higher level than I do.

• Like 2

Interesting point Pete re the loneliness of the modified scene, ive experienced this before when buying new cars that didn't have the knowledge or products available in the UK. Luckily in this case we've got you blazing a trail for us👍

Good to know re H&S, I'll need to have a good think about my options. Cheers.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Twellsie I’ve found the video Matey pretty sure this is what @Peter P18 is talking about....

Watch the whole thing by all means but especially at 8.30 the Red ISF being driven by the stig

Big Rat

Good find Paul, I was thinking about this vid tonight.

Funny that the points Clarkson makes fun of (the gearbox and exhausts tips) are totally normal these days. I think he was being overly harsh as the ISF was way ahead of its time. Still enjoy watching it, even if I should have bought the M3 lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

So who was faster, an M3 or Lexus around the track?!

Also is it true what Clarkson says about the Lexus gearbox and harsh ride?

The M3 is faster..

regarding the gearbox, my view, it was ahead of everything else, I can't remember how many Mercedes I have had with 9 speed gearboxes, but its a lot, its really not a problem!

Suspension, the earlier ISFs have harsher suspension that the later ones, mine has Bilstein shocks that apparently make it less harsh, but will in the near future be fitting some BC coilovers as I would still be happy with a slightly firmer ride

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2018 at 6:26 PM, Vlady said:

So who was faster, an M3 or Lexus around the track?!

Also is it true what Clarkson says about the Lexus gearbox and harsh ride?

@Big RatNice find Paul - the bias still annoys annoys me as much as it did when I watched it the first time🙄😉

@Vlady M3 is quicker If a seconds difference  a lap on a track matters to you - on the road would make little noticeable difference IMHO.

When I originally test drove a 2009 ISF I was surprised how good the ride was in comparison with my Audi S4 at the time given everything I had read/seen. Made the S4’s ride seem far more unrefined & I had not seen a single review of the Audi even mention its ride quality.  You just need to test drive one & make your own mind up - I bet you will be surprised.

As far as gearbox & the rest of Clarkson’s criticisms, most of the German manufacturers followed suit meaning the ISF was ahead of its time as others have already said..

Interestingly I was struck watching the video at how fresh the ISF looked - I thought the M3 by comparison was showing its age IMHO (although still a very attractive car).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PhoeNicks said:

Ah, I have some competition in the shiny stakes. Looks 'well 'ard' in black 😎

I am sooooo pleased with it so much better than I had hoped, the hours Lea put in was unreal!!!

• 1 month later...