Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parked next to  a 17 plate GS on a local dealer forecourt recently and noticed a smart rear bumper protector  in what looked like brushed and polished stainless steel.  Very nice I thought, I'll get one. Parts man asked for my reg or chassis number and then said sorry not listed for your 2012 car.  As an ex Insurance Engineer I pointed out to him the Gen 5 GS was all about  front end changes but the rear bumpers of a Gen 4 and Gen 5 were identical so I'd like to order one.   He wasn't keen because he couldn't send it back if it didn't fit.   OK I said and contacted my dealer in Sheffield where I have my service plan.   Parts manager there is so helpful.   He understood what I was saying about the bumper profiles being the same and said he can only really go on chassis numbers too but if I wanted he would order one, I could come in and check the trim sat on the bumper ok without removing the 3m tape film but if it didn't fit then he would send it back as a return.

I thanked him and said let's order one but I was 100% certain he would not be sending it back.   The part was a perfect fit as expected.   He thanked me as he now knows if anyone coming in with a Gen 4 model who wants the same part he could say he knows it fits regardless of what the computer says.    The Lexus E Bay shop lists the part for the Gen 5 model and if you do their compatibility check it says  " Does not fit a 2012 version".   Anyway pics speak for themselves.    Made in Italy would you believe but not cheap at £134 even after discount.

SAM_0971.jpg

SAM_0973.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Part Number is PW178-30001

Price is £124 plus vat = £148.80.    If you can get 10% off the list price before vat it will cost £133.74 incl vat.

Not trying you to tell mother  how to suck eggs here but be careful when sticking the trim to the bumper.   The 3M tape is very sticky and will grab easily to the painted surface.so alignment is crucial. 

The grey protective tape, top side,  has an arrow  in the middle and you line up the arrow with the boot latch.     It has 4 pieces of 3M tape on the underside of the trim.   Top tip,   peel off the film of the two small  one inch pieces of tape at each end.    Pull back about an inch of the film on the long pieces of tape at one end and turn it 90 degrees so it will stick out.    Centre the trim using the arrow and press down on the opposite end to where you have the two pieces of film sticking out.  This allows you to get the lip just right on the profiled edge of the bumper as you lower it in to place.     Then press down the other end  leaving you the two long pieces of film sticking out which you can then just pull gently along the whole length of the trim.  The trim cannot move as the small pieces of tape at each end are now holding the trim in place.   You can now press down along the whole length.  It ain't coming off !!!!  

Pulling all the pink film off all the tape will risk the trim being slightly mis aligned as once all the tape hits the panel it will be difficult to pull it off without bending it as it is quite thin, no more than an eighth of an inch.     You can then pull off the grey protective tape off the top side exposing the bright stainless steel.  The part comes in a foam sleeve and also in a cardboard box to protect it from damage. 

Steve