Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Tank Capacity / Cruising Range

David Cowling

Just filled my CT200h with 32.66 Ltr of fuel - the warning light was on and estimated cruising miles was below 20 which should be about 20 ltr.

I understand the tank is suppose to hold 45 ltr so there is a descrepancy of about 10 ltr adding another 100 miles to the range (currently get over 50mpg).

Does the tank need re-calibrating or is this how the factory sets the fuel level ?

Standard. On US forums some people have done over 100 miles with the fuel light on (not the gauge shows R not E). Most I ever got in a CT was 35 litres and that was about 20 miles with the fuel light on.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new here but there is no tank calibration feature other than in the measuring device that is set in the initial design and/or firmware. All tanks are the same shape for this car, so those values are fixed. It is usual to give a 50km average allowance in modern vehicles that equates to 30 or so miles but it seems there is around 10 litres for the CT, so that would equate to about 100 miles. This does seem a lot, so it would be nice to have some clarity here!

In all hybrids of Toyota group there is a very prudential amount of fuel in tank after light gets on, and usually you can do over 100 km. more, but the main reason is that if you run out of fuel and continue to drive car till HV Battery is also discharged it's impossible to restart engine simply after refueling (like usual thermal engine only vehicles).  Besides, fuel pump running without gasoline may break, and it's an expensive repair.