Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I just noticed this ad while browsing the internet, and recognized the plate immediately.

The same LS 400 featured in Top Gear's 1990 review of Lexus was recently sold on August 3rd, 2018 for only £720.00.

The car remains mostly original, retaining most of its engine covers and miscellaneous trim pieces, but it has unfortunately had rear end damage on the left quarter panel that left a scratch and dent. The car has also had a tow hitch installed on it at some point. This LS was last up for sale by Downs Auto in Epsom, Surrey, with 159,000 km in January, and I don't believe it had the quarter panel damage then. It has been driven 5,000 km since.

Here is a mirror of the eBay listing, with a few images:

https://picclick.co.uk/Lexus-LS400-1990-40-LITRE-RED-CLASSIC-CAR-273375368319.html

Lexus-LS400-1990-40-LITRE-RED-CLASSIC-CA

[ The scrape appears to have caused some rust. Hopefully this can be mended quickly, before it expands ]

Here is the original episode, for reference:

I do hope that whoever bought this car takes good care of it, as it is a part of Lexus history and a very early production model (4/19/1990).

• Like 1

if I remember correctly the Mk1s had          195......15 tyres

surely a sound classic in the making, if not already and very very collectable

Had the provenance been known by the vendor and advertised as such I feel this car would have made quite good money ....... I for one would possibly have bought it 😊

Malc

I agree! It's definitely great to see it, and it's looking all original too with a good shine on the paint.

My 91 has 205/65/R15 tires on it. Definitely small in the opinions of many, but I absolutely love the look and the ride!

The previous seller, Downs Auto, did advertise the car as being from Top Gear, but no interest seemed to come from it. 😞

topgearLS.thumb.png.b572a22d2aad29a77a3b613114bfc290.png

• Like 2

In my today post on the 460 upgrade this is identical to the mark1 I owned in every sense including the colour I even bought an identical model to strip for parts this colour was the most popular  of the Mark 1

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I actually owned this car for a short time. I purchased it from a dealer in croydon

As it was one of the first in this country it had additional features from the american model, it had 6000 miles on it when i bought it and think i paid £27000 for it at the time

There was also a green one i used to see around with 614 number plate

I saw it for sale again on my return from abroad and would have bought it again then as a classic in the making with the TV pedigree (which i was unaware of at the time) apart from it being an MOT failure.....and no place to store it as it was literally the week we returned from abroad