Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Who likes this then - I do !

Me.

Only two cars I would consider moving to from the IS F, this (lifetime member, used to support three that raced in Time Attack, owned 5/6 in various spec’s), and the R34 GTR.

Both are rapidly climbing well above the £30K bracket, and show no signs of coming down anytime soon.

The MK4 was and still is a great car in so many ways. The tunability and strength of that 2JZ-GTE engine is unreal. Don’t know of any other engine that can support close to triple it’s original horsepower without needing to be ripped apart and forged.......??

Problem is they are getting old, so restoration costs need to be factored in. Bushings will likely be shot, rust on the rare U.K. models will be an issue, subframes and diffs could need rebuilding.... biggest issue is parts availability, especially with the Getrag 6-speed manual gearbox. You simply can’t find new parts off the shelf anymore. 

I’m loving the move away from lairy bodykits, for me the Supra needs very little cosmetic enhancements, it’s a great looking car in stock form. Giving the heart a bypass with a nice build and single turbo kit on the other hand is all good in my opinion. 😉😎

• Like 4

@Peter P18 Great response Peter they really are up there for desirability a thing of beauty and a hard act to follow but at least an attempt is being made.

I take your point about parts, see I was being misty eyed still be worth the effort though as each time you opened that garage.......🙂

Big Rat 

• Like 1

I've been a big Jap Import fan for years, the era when you had the Mitsubishi GTO, the Nissan 300ZX and the Supra was one of my all time favourites, my wife and I bought one of the very first FTO's too which she ran and enjoyed for six plus years. I had one of the very first MR2's that came to the UK, I took all of the badges off and when people asked me what it was I said it was a prototype Ferrari I got away with it for ages.

My love for Jap imports included owning, An Isuzu Vehi-Cross, A Pajero Evolution, a track prepped and road legal RX7, a Subaru SVX. It's funny that I've gone back to a Japanese car.

There was an absolute mint 300ZX for sale a while ago that I was very tempted to buy, despite the Supra being a very accomplished car I always thought it the ugly slug of the three.

They're having a laugh on the price though.

• Like 3

@B1 RMA That’s some Japanese car past, alas I’m very late to the party with just the isF and Rcf to show for it having been a repeat German buyer for more years than I can remember, still I’m here now, yes that price 🤔

Big Rat

• Like 1

300ZX was my first true Japanese performance car. Bought a U.K. model in red at 19yrs old. Cost me my whole pay cheque each month to cover the insurance and fuel! Lol. 😂😂😂

Loved it though. Was a T-bar model as well, so roofs out in the summer was wicked fun. 

Also had a nice MR2 G-Limited auto, a Nissan Sunny 1.6 ZX Coupe, Impreza WRX Classic, Altezza which was also rare, tuned by Yamaha like the IS F.

Love my Japanese cars, each for different reasons. 😎

• Like 5

I'd love an old skool Supra as a toy car, although if I could get the new one for free then I wouldn't mind having the new one. 

Still the Supra is one of those classics that will never get old, along with the R34 GTR

• Like 1

I feel like I must be the eldest 😳....I still love the 80’s supra, both the original 2.8 then the 3.0i and the 3.0t.......but I always loved the MK-1 MR2.......gutted it’s gone, but house build and family have to come first.......well for now 😂🤣

• Like 4

You had me at hello...

...the advert had me hooked the moment I saw it in the weekend glossies. Not sure a better advert has been written for a sports car since (except for the Saab 900 turbo advert - that was pure genius). 

6A28E05C-07D9-4240-9517-476BFF93B209.jpeg

• Like 1

Well I like it. I would have had one back in the day but not now at £35k as that amount of dosh needs spending on an F.  However I can vouch for the 2JZ engine in the front of my IS300 Sportcross for being and sounding great. Its been mildly improved in a few areas :yes: Bought as a temporary runabout its lots of fun taking the garden rubbish to the tip (when I go the long way round) and at next to no money its a terrific second / runabout car. 

• Like 1

The real gem of this era was the Lexus Soarer, whereas the Nissan, GTO and the ZX were the real sports cars the Lexus stood out as a bit left field a bit like the RCF today.

I remember seeing my first Soarer it took ages to track down what it actually was and when I found out I was hooked, they did have a reputation of instrument binnacle failure but the one I liked was the model with the V8 engine and active suspension I have it's model designation in the back of my brain somewhere. Very rare cars as a grey import but they were there never did buy one although I should have.

• Like 1

Had a Black Supra Mk3 and with the sidelights and fogs on it looked coolio. Felt a bit like being Knight Rider.  Downside  was it wasn't new, rear Window leaked, cylinder gasket issue always possible and the Air-con didn't work. Not good.

Had I owned it when vutube was available to help with issues, I might have sorted it, Instead, swapped it for a Blue and Cream Mercedes 500SEC with cream suade seats.  Lovely Car. 

Also tried a  G Limited Mk 2 Auto after the Merc but laid it up for six years and whe taken out of mothballs it had a head gasket fail so sold it on. Zippy Car. It was same year as this LS400.  Found it too difficult to get my Carcass in and out of. 

Went Merc for SEL500 and W140 S320 before moving on to this lovable beast. Wouldn't go back to Merc unless could afford a recent model, even then I think I'd probably prefer the H600.

Well I'm sure most can guess my view........ :biggrin:

Is funny I walked into the garage earlier today as I was grabbing something and looked at the Supra, which always puts a smile on my face, and thought people must think i'm crazy for keeping that in the garage and the RC-F on the drive when the RC-F is worth about £10k more. But I know which one I would get rid of first 🙂

I would say that is very strong money for that car, they may get it but I have my doubts. The fact that the yanks can now import these cars and drive them without any further tests (after 25yrs from manufacture they are allowed) is starting to push prices up, but i'd say not quite this much..... yet!

• Like 1

Imported Japs I've owned
R33 gts-t
Supra aero-top n/a

For the last 10yrs I've had the Toyota aristo v300.

a lot of people don't know that the aristo had the 2jz gte before the supra 7defc0f7b90e8f0f6ccc4e822a5a92ba.jpg121829abbbcca9a31ca54976ef64934e.jpgd04a10841a394b9d27d1a614dc7a59bd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I remember as a kid going to the Toyota dealership (Mann Egerton Nottingham) in the early 90’s and seeing the line up of MR2, Celica, Supra and a brand new marque called “Lexus.”  I would have happily had any of them, but the 3.0 Supra of the late eighties early nineties that was my dream car. I was always begging my dad to test drive a Supra, but it was a Carina or his beloved Camry that we’re on the menu.

To my mind, Toyota lost their way BIG time and went from a brand I would always desire to purchase, to one that left their sports car heritage behind them and started to produce bland run of the mill products (no disrespect intended).

The GT86 is a cracking little car, I appreciate the design costs are massive, but I truly feel they’ve missed a trick with the new Supra. It may be a cracking car (it sounds like it is) but to me, a true Supra it isn’t. It’s not so much the engine (BMW know how to make a straight 6) it’s the damn BMW interior.

my two penneth anyway 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links