Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Wheel Corrosion

Good luck!

A couple of the wheels on my forthcoming Advance should have been refurbished today, it'll be interesting to see how god a job they've done. Fortunately mine are the earlier 7-spoke type, so no diamond cut finish to worry about.

One of the diamond-cut wheels on my Avensis was suffering a bit around the rim from kerb damage, but otherwise they were in good shape after four years and 60-odd thousand miles.

• 2 weeks later...

As always nothing is straightforward. Apparently replacement wheels are not available so Lexus will pay for full professional refurbishment.

According to dealer they would usually send them away, but they are researching a mobile repair at my home (dealer is 180 miles round trip). In view of the location of issue at wheel hubs t am less than keen. I have suggested that my local dealer get the work done as they will lend me a car for a week while wheels are away. 

No doubt will hear shortly. 

• Like 1

Great result!  I can't understand why no new matching wheels are available for a 4 yr old car.  Surely they must keep some stocks....was it the 19 inch wheels you have?

Had a cloase look at mine (a year newer) and they look fine except for a scratch on one from me stupidly using a wheel cleaning brush when washing it a while back. Lesson learned.  I never use brushes on wheels now.  

27 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Great result!  I can't understand why no new matching wheels are available for a 4 yr old car.  Surely they must keep some stocks....was it the 19 inch wheels you have?

Had a cloase look at mine (a year newer) and they look fine except for a scratch on one from me stupidly using a wheel cleaning brush when washing it a while back. Lesson learned.  I never use brushes on wheels now.  

Yes its the 19inch diamond cut wheels. 

I guess there are very few of these cars with the Advance wheels in this finish as its only the very late ones that had them. 

On 10/19/2018 at 10:07 PM, olliesgrandad said:

I recently noticed that all 4 of my wheels had signs of corrosion (lacquer bubbling) around the centre caps . When the car was serviced in Cheltenham last week they photographed the damage and presented a case to Lexus for rectification. Today I was informed that Lexus UK decided that as I only bought the car in June that the supplying dealer (Derby) should have rectified the wheels before sale. I spoke Lexus UK myself and they confirmed that the wheels should have been sorted before sale and that the issue should be directed to the retail. They transferred my call to Derby who are going to decide on a course of action. I wonder if anyone else here has an issue with wheels on such a new car. 

On 10/19/2018 at 10:51 PM, Comedian said:

I had my wheels replaced under warranty due to corrosion, but they are not covered under extended warranty.

The maximum cost of restoring an alloy wheel back to factory fresh (Even machine faced) would be around 100 per wheel so it's not a huge cost.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

My RX400h alloys are in a pretty bad state, but the car is 12 years old... Hoping to get them stripped and powder coated soon. Will post pictures when the time comes.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, GSLV6 said:

Yes its the 19inch diamond cut wheels. 

I guess there are very few of these cars with the Advance wheels in this finish as its only the very late ones that had them. 

Car is booked in on 25th February for wheel refurbishment which is apparently being done by 'reinventing the wheel 'at Tewkesbury. 

I had some Z3 wheels refurbished there some years ago and they made a great job of those so I am quite reassured it will be a good job. 

Car will be MOt' d at the same time. 

They are lending me an is300h for the duration which is the largest loan car they have.

• 2 weeks later...

spoke to the guy at Reinventing The Wheel, Tewkesbury who are carrying out my wheel refurbishment for Lexus next week.

I asked him the best way protect the finish. His answer was that you can't and that as soon as you drive away on them they are likely to quickly have issues. He said the best thing to do would be to have them powder coated and that he could replicate any Lexus wheel finish. He suggested that perhaps a shadow chrome might look nice and that if I could call in he could sow me some colours. I spoke to the Dealer booking department today and said that I wanted this done. I know it will be cheaper for Lexus so I've got to now decide whether to have a silver finish or perhaps go for a shadow chrome

Sounds like the smarter thing to do Les, I had my RX350 set powder coated and put on my old RX300 and the finish seems a lot more study than the regular paint and lacquer.  Low maintenance as well.

My advice is to make sure you get a good look at the colour choices in person.  I just asked for gunmetal/grey and it's a weird matt grey/green until the sun hits it.  Should have taken the time to consider the options.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 3:54 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Called in to the wheel refurbishers today. They suggested Shadow Chrome  due to the style of my wheels which they showed me on a wheel up against my car. Finish is very similar to the finish on the f sport wheels. 

Les, would you please put up photos of your wheels when they've done? Thanks

I was expecting to get my car back on Thursday or Friday. I heard nothing so rang my dealer. Apparently the refurbished wheels won't be back from the refurbishers until Tuesday now. Still I have put 650 miles on the loan car since last Tuesday which means my car won't need servicing for an extra week. Miss the comfort of it though despite the loan IS300h being a very nice car. 

Well car collected this afternoon.

Very pleased with the look of the wheels. They have advised me not to pressure wash them for a couple of days.

Whilst the car was there it was MOT'd and they took a look at the reversing camera which I thought was often slow to switch in. The result is that they couldn't find any issue but from previous experience suspect a media hard drive problem.  Lexus Warranty have authorised the replacement of the media hard drive unit which I understand costs a wallet busting £1800.

For convenience this will be changed at next service as the unit has to be shipped form Japan.

Well done Lexus Cheltenham .

IMG_20190306_143116.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Well car collected this afternoon.

Very pleased with the look of the wheels. They have advised me not to pressure wash them for a couple of days.

Whilst the car was there it was MOT'd and they took a look at the reversing camera which I thought was often slow to switch in. The result is that they couldn't find any issue but from previous experience suspect a media hard drive problem.  Lexus Warranty have authorised the replacement of the media hard drive unit which I understand costs a wallet busting £1800.

For convenience this will be changed at next service as the unit has to be shipped form Japan.

Well done Lexus Cheltenham .

IMG_20190306_143116.jpg

In the 3RX the camera is quite slow to switch in to be fair. I had the same thing from new when I had the 3RX

Doesn't always come on without going back into park and retrying. At other times the screiwilk be blank for a couple of seconds before coming on. Definitely slower than my 2015 GS300h and my 2014 IS300h 

On 3/8/2019 at 10:21 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Doesn't always come on without going back into park and retrying. At other times the screiwilk be blank for a couple of seconds before coming on. Definitely slower than my 2015 GS300h and my 2014 IS300h 

Mine was exactly the same since new so nothing was done about it. I just thought it was a feature of the car 

The wheels look good, suit the colour of the car perfectly, and the front grey strip on the bumper.

• Like 1

Another aspect of alloy wheel corrosion, which I wonder if anyone has experienced, is losing tyre pressure

due to corrosion around the valve. ?   I've just had this problem with a Ford.  Although I suspect this is due

to the quality of the alloy as it's a common issue.