Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does the IS300h AWD Exist?!

Hi,

A bit tongue in cheek really as I know it does (only after stumbling across one on autotrader) but I cant seem to find a single review of one or any information in a lexus brochure about one?!

I was trying to find some more info about the AWD system, how it works and the effect it has on economy versus a 2WD.

We are looking for a new family car, AWD and a hybrid or PHEV are high on the priority list so this seems like a good candidate.

Any info about this model and comments from owners would be appreciated.

Thanks

I believe it only exists outside of the UK (USA and presumably elsewhere) and is know as the Is350, with no hybrid power train. Someone will hopefully be able to verify.

They exist there is 35 for sale on autotrader right now with the 2.5 hybrid power-plant.

I'm guessing the AWD system is possibly the same as the IS350 uses but I cant find a lot of info about that either.

If you check on autotrader and filter by Four Wheel Drive for Drivetrain then yes some IS300h show up....but they are incorrectly listed. The AWD was never made for the UK or in hybrid form.

There are 250, 300 and 350 AWD versions in the US I believe.

1 hour ago, C.B said:

A bit tongue in cheek really as I know it does (only after stumbling across one on autotrader)

Not tongue in cheek at all - they don't exist.

If you want an AWD hybrid, you could take a look at the NX or RX for starters, or maybe something from the Toyota family - e.g. CHR.

Update: There are 58, all claiming to have a drivetrain with "Four Wheel Drive". Here is the autotrader link: link. And some of these are from Lexus dealers ...

• Thanks 1

Wow, I just assumed with so many listed (especially with some at main dealers) it couldn't possibly be a mistake.

Does explain why i cant find a single review or mention of it in the UK 2014 IS brochure though.

1 hour ago, Eame64 said:

Weirdly enough the CH-R is only available as AWD with the 1.2 Engine and not the 1.8 Hybrid.

Actually, I'd forgotten that. I think Toyota/Lexus AWD hybrids might use the electric motor to drive 1 axle and the ICE the other. So forget the CHR if you want an AWD Hybrid - the 2019 RAV4 will do the job instead.

Ok, so let me rephrase that: they do exist. 😮

I have to say, I never heard of them before - even Wikipedia doesn't list it:

image.thumb.png.e22f523e25f8b0fde9bc525a056ec92b.png

A close look at the translated japanese Lexus site reveals all at this link:

An AWD system that combines high running performance and quietness
Transfer to a Torsen to distribute the rich power to the front and rear wheels ®LSD (center differential gear) * 2 * 3 adopted. If there is a difference in speed between the front and rear wheel speeds, it will be differentiated and the driving torque from the transmission will be appropriately distributed. Normally, torque of front and rear wheels is distributed at 40:60, achieving high running performance. In addition, it instantaneously distributes torques between 50:50 and 30:70 on the front and rear wheels according to driving conditions, resulting in excellent handling stability. In addition, we have tuned details such as improving the processing accuracy of the counter gear gear, realizing quietness suitable for Lexus.

Apologies for the bad steer ...