Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am looking to put a spare wheel in the boot of my IS300H F sport as i don't want to be caught out some night if i get a puncture. So the question i have is can i use a spare wheel of a nissan that has the same size as in 114.3 but its a 16 inch wheel where the alloys on my F sport are 18 inch. Would it do damage to the drive train or anything by driving with a wheel that's not the same size ?? 

Thanks . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

As long as the overall rolling diameter of the tyres is identical then it shouldnt matter if the actual wheel is smaller. You need to make up for the smaller wheel with a higher profile tyre wall. There are tyre size comparison calculators on line (like willtheyfit.com etc) that’ll show you what alternate tyres will match your current config. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pink said:

As long as the overall rolling diameter of the tyres is identical then it shouldnt matter if the actual wheel is smaller. You need to make up for the smaller wheel with a higher profile tyre wall. There are tyre size comparison calculators on line (like willtheyfit.com etc) that’ll show you what alternate tyres will match your current config. 

Thanks for the reply Gareth il check it out. I might see how much an original alloy will cost through Lexus , it will pay for itself in years to come for the piece of mind .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But you will need to check the smaller wheel clears your brake callipers. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries. Btw, I bought the Lexus spare wheel myself a couple of months back when I picked up the car. It was £143 all in from Lexus Reading. Didn’t bother with the carry bag as that was another £100. It’s a bit clumsy having to carry it around in the boot but I don’t trust the can of goo. I suspect you may have to do the same as I don’t think the 16 will clear your F brakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pink said:

No worries. Btw, I bought the Lexus spare wheel myself a couple of months back when I picked up the car. It was £143 all in from Lexus Reading. Didn’t bother with the carry bag as that was another £100. It’s a bit clumsy having to carry it around in the boot but I don’t trust the can of goo. I suspect you may have to do the same as I don’t think the 16 will clear your F brakes. 

Cheers Gareth . Was it an alloy u got for that price or juat a normal wheel ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a normal black steel space saver wheel and tyre suitable for the 17s on my Exec. Price was pretty similar to those on the Internet. There were a few cheaper on eBay but didn’t fancy taking the risk myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect Gareth id be the same . Thanks again very helpful ad always 😊 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d thought of doing this too, not top of brain but one of the things to look at.

Has anyone used the goo in the can for a puncture and if so does it mess up the tyre pressure sensor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we have a spacesaver spare which we throw in the boot of the IS300h if we are going on a long journey. 16 inch diameter and bright orange!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LexusIS300h said:

I’d thought of doing this too, not top of brain but one of the things to look at.

Has anyone used the goo in the can for a puncture and if so does it mess up the tyre pressure sensor?

That's a very good question i have wondered that myself i read mixed reviews on that so i feel the easier and safer way is to have a spare in the boot .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought my spare wheel a few years ago from lexus and bought a cover off eBay for about £8 which will store a full size tyre. I was told at the last service that the goo will soon be out of date but as I have no intention of using it I won't bother changing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Bob99 said:

Bought my spare wheel a few years ago from lexus and bought a cover off eBay for about £8 which will store a full size tyre. I was told at the last service that the goo will soon be out of date but as I have no intention of using it I won't bother changing it.

Thanks Bob. I went up to Lexus this morning to get one and the parts department was closed . Was it a space saver wheel you got and if so what size to give me an idea when asking. 

Thanks  .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all ,

 

Any ideas if the attached wheel in the link will fit my is300h F sport ? https://m.ebay.ie/itm/163264650251?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe12052.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3Db2272601a25c466881c377c387bf7f52%26bu%3D43762952567%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.ie%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F163264650251%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%26srcrot%3De12052.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3Ddae120011660aad9a9f7db97fff48554&ul_noapp=true

The original wheels are 18 and this is a 17 . As Greg made a good point would it fit over the f sport break calibers ? Or are the break calipers on the f sport the same as the executive models which have the 17 inch alloys ? I went to lexus and ur man in the parts hadnt a clue or no interest he just said we dont do spare wheels that's what the gels are for and took my number and never rang back.

Thanks .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I was very glad I did. I think next time a car with no spare wheel option will be a deal breaker for me.

20190618_174047.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darrude said:

Today I was very glad I did. I think next time a car with no spare wheel option will be a deal breaker for me.

20190618_174047.jpg

Totally agree. You hope you’ll never have to use it but so grateful it’s there when you do. 

The tyres on my previous car had a knack of collecting stray screws in a local Wickes car park that I now avoid like the plague (unless I’m in the wife’s old crate !)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.