Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300H questions from a new owner

Hey everyone. I just purchase a 14 plate IS300H SE with 50K on the clock which I am enjoying driving. I have a few questions which I don't know if they are features or faults!

(1) Is the coolant temperature gauge at normal operating level at the twenty to position or dead straight around quarter to position?

(2) Is the rear screen heater meant to clear right to the top or start around 2-3 inches below?

(3) I've updated the sat nav to the latest OP version (thanks eBay!). I wanted to check if the speed camera are based on static data from the map or from a live feed?

(4) Where is the OBDII connector? Has anyone managed to read any sensor data using the Android Torque app?

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will have to take a photo of my temp gauge, mine definitely is not dead straight.

I purchased the car from an Inchcape dealer and they offered a 3 year warranty for £1099. I am still undecided about purchasing this especially as Lexus offer a 2 year extended warranty for £795. I know the car is meant to be reliable and I have a 1 year Lexus warranty to iron out any issues but I wonder for peace of mind whether to take it or not...  

I think for that price I'd go for the lexus one (as long as they are like for like), if you want a warranty.   

I didn't bother extending mine, but guess that depends on your views to risk...  

Regarding the coolant level mine is like the attached picture, and has never moved from that position (except obviously when warming up!).

Do you have the premium or standard NAV on yours?

xxl_kfz556325_ks15fkk-11.jpg

The temp gauge looks like mine when warmed up, to me it doesn't look dead on 1/4 to position but close enough.  I guess I am used to my old car where it was dead on 12 o'clock position when warmed up.

I've got the Premium Sat nav on mine as I wanted the reversing camera which I keep forgetting to use.

For the two year £795 warranty to be valid, you MUST have it serviced at the Lexus dealer. Bear that in mind when considering whether to take it or not.

My OBD port is way under the steering wheel, pointing towards the footwell floor. You need to get on your hands and knees to even see it. It’s clearly not designed or expected to be used much ! So whilst I spent half my life with a Carly OBD adapter in my previous car, I’ll pass on the same advice I was given when I asked the same question recently ....... don’t worry about it, it’s a Lexus ! 😀

4 hours ago, darrude said:

I think for that price I'd go for the lexus one (as long as they are like for like), if you want a warranty.   

I didn't bother extending mine, but guess that depends on your views to risk...  

Regarding the coolant level mine is like the attached picture, and has never moved from that position (except obviously when warming up!).

Do you have the premium or standard NAV on yours?

xxl_kfz556325_ks15fkk-11.jpg

Mine is in a similar position to the photo whem warmed up - so about the 20 to position. I heard that some cars (BMW I believe and some others) fudge the temp gauge so that once it reaches a certain temperature the needle moves to a predetermined point (middle of normal) and stays there within given plus or minus temperature changes and so unless the temperature falls outside those values the needle simply reads middle of normal. So these sort don't really indicate the true temperature. The Lexus one does seem to move with temperature - so will fall a bit after running EV and rise once the engine kicks in again. 

On 10/23/2018 at 6:08 PM, New_Lexus_Fan said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will have to take a photo of my temp gauge, mine definitely is not dead straight.

I purchased the car from an Inchcape dealer and they offered a 3 year warranty for £1099. I am still undecided about purchasing this especially as Lexus offer a 2 year extended warranty for £795. I know the car is meant to be reliable and I have a 1 year Lexus warranty to iron out any issues but I wonder for peace of mind whether to take it or not...  

Warranty is a waste of money, essentially same running gear as a Prius, Lexus/Toyota isn't like BMW/Merc, the cars are actually built to last rather than breakdown.

The number of people on this forum reporting any faults tell you how reliable these cars are.

A touch below half way is the normal position for the water temperature. Do not keep looking at it, enjoy it’s a great car. I have had mine 3.5 years and although it’s low mileage the only fluid of any kind I have put in it is screenwash. If it’s on its original 12v Battery put a new one in for piece of mind. I am selling mine in 2 months if anybody interested.

47 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

A touch below half way is the normal position for the water temperature. Do not keep looking at it, enjoy it’s a great car. I have had mine 3.5 years and although it’s low mileage the only fluid of any kind I have put in it is screenwash. If it’s on its original 12v battery put a new one in for piece of mind. I am selling mine in 2 months if anybody interested.

I wonder which screenwash you use ?  I usually only use plain water.

I used some Halfords screen wash when I had my Accord. It took ages to flush it all out,  as every time I washed the screen it smelt like cats pee.

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

I used some Halfords screen wash when I had my Accord. It took ages to flush it all out,  as every time I washed the screen it smelt like cats pee.

Using plain water is not advisable, you want the anti freeze properties that most good screen washes have. That way you can actually use it in the cold, and it will also stop the water expanding as it freezes, thus saving you from a cracked windscreen washer pump.

I use some screen wash branded Sonax.

I've never smelt cat pee. There must have been some terrible bacteria in your Accord washer bottle.

5 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Warranty is a waste of money, essentially same running gear as a Prius, Lexus/Toyota isn't like BMW/Merc, the cars are actually built to last rather than breakdown.

The number of people on this forum reporting any faults tell you how reliable these cars are.

Bit of a sweeping statement as even the most reliable cars can have problems. I took the 2 year extended warranty on mine for peace of mind (after the original warranty expired) - one year in the screenwash bottle sensor stopped working. Yes I could have lived without it but the extended warranty covered the fix. It did bring home to me about the cost of repairs when they are needed. It was £400 to replace the screenwash bottle sensor so I've had one years worth out of the extended warranty already for just a very minor fix. Everyone's appetite for risk is different so the OP should make his decision for his own peace of mind. 

• Like 2

i took extended warranty out for my old IS250. The dealer refurbished the wheels and After 9 months they started to bubble. So claimed a new set. Very expensive BBS wheels.

When i had IS220d it was always in for warranty work, mounted up to many 1000's from engine gasket to a vibrating gear knob, made sure everything was sorted. Not one quibble from Lexus, True to their word.

Not all about the engine and running gear reliability, it's worth it for annoying rattles from the interior or small annoying things that shouldn't be in a Lexus.

9 hours ago, New_Lexus_Fan said:

Has anyone with a SE model increased their tyre pressure to 39 PSI from 36 for increased fuel economy?  This is if you drive no more than 100 mph! 

Mate, with all due respect you have been reading to many car magazines. Lexus and other car manufacterers spend millions setting their cars up for optimum performance, comfort and fuel economy. 3lbs extra in your tyres is not going to make any difference.

Make sure your low pressure censors are set while at 36psi and forget about tyre pressures. My tyres have been checked yearly (I hope) by Lexus on the service. 

24 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

3lbs extra in your tyres is not going to make any difference.

I think it would make a difference, but only a very small one.

And definitely not a difference worthwhile when considering the increased safety hazard, reduced tyre life, harsher ride, etc.

Ever had an over inflated football? It bounces too much, there's reduced control over it, etc. It's no good.

I certainly wouldn't pump my tyres above recommendation @New_Lexus_Fan

regarding the warranty, I took the option of extended 2 year warranty as I do a lot of motor mileage. Had the car in for a service recently and asked them to fix the up and down scroll button near the trackpad, the down scroll button wouldn't work correctly,  they ended up changing the whole trackpad unit at a cost of £1900 !!! Obviously it's not the end of the world if that button does not work but I figured I have the warranty and why not. 25k miles driven so far this year and 3rd service fast approaching.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, Richard1200 said:

Mate, with all due respect you have been reading to many car magazines. Lexus and other car manufacterers spend millions setting their cars up for optimum performance, comfort and fuel economy. 3lbs extra in your tyres is not going to make any difference.

Make sure your low pressure censors are set while at 36psi and forget about tyre pressures. My tyres have been checked yearly (I hope) by Lexus on the service. 

This was from a Lexus blog https://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-is-tyre-pressure-and-size-guide/

Pressure

16-inch wheels (SE): The front tyres should be inflated to 36 psi, but this can be increased to 39 psi in the interests of economy at speeds of 100mph or less.

The rear tyres should be inflated to 36 psi, unless five passengers are on board and speeds exceed 100mph. You may choose to increase inflation levels for rear tyres to 39 psi to increase economy. This is only advisable at speeds below 100mph.

Was just curious if it made a difference. I've left it as 36 PSI for now.

On 10/26/2018 at 8:35 AM, Hadrian said:

I would not recommend plain water either. As mentioned, screenwash will not freeze and it also better at cutting through the grime and assorted dead insects that end up on your windscreen. Moreover, if you live in a hard water area, limescale will eventually clog up pipes and washers. Not good.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 1:08 AM, wakhtar said:

regarding the warranty, I took the option of extended 2 year warranty as I do a lot of motor mileage. Had the car in for a service recently and asked them to fix the up and down scroll button near the trackpad, the down scroll button wouldn't work correctly,  they ended up changing the whole trackpad unit at a cost of £1900 !!! 

£1900 for trackpad that probably costs <£10 to produce and a part I recon will take about 30 min max to remove.....

Believe what ever numbers you want, but I doubt any taxi drivers are putting extended warranties on their Prius.

10 hours ago, DanD said:

I would not recommend plain water either. As mentioned, screenwash will not freeze and it also better at cutting through the grime and assorted dead insects that end up on your windscreen. Moreover, if you live in a hard water area, limescale will eventually clog up pipes and washers. Not good.

OK

I've obviously been doing it wrong for the last 50yrs   😊

On 10/26/2018 at 9:35 AM, Hadrian said:

.... every time I washed the screen it smelt like cats pee.

I believe this is a much prized component in the bouquet of a Sauvignon Blanc, but perhaps it’s not wholly appropriate for a screen wash.   Personally, I haven’t owned a BMW for upwards of two decades but I still buy their brand of screenwash because of its great smell and effectiveness.

36 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I believe this is a much prized component in the bouquet of a Sauvignon Blanc, but perhaps it’s not wholly appropriate for a screen wash.   Personally, I haven’t owned a BMW for upwards of two decades but I still buy their brand of screenwash because of its great smell and effectiveness.

Or maybe from the Prosecco wine lake,  dumped in this country  😊