Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid All Wheel Drive

Hi, Just a quick question regarding the RX450H and snow.

Bit of background:  We live in a very hilly, rural area on country roads that are low priority on the gritting routes (last year the council stated they wouldn't grit them at all, although did a few times).  I swap to winters in my IS for this reason and never had an issue getting home (managed to go where land rovers, albeit with summers tyres couldn't).

What are peoples thoughts on Cross Climates on the front only be ok, or would the hybrid all wheel drive system just send power to the rear when the front slips (in my experience in deeper snow on an incline, you need to maintain slight wheel spin to get grip, the 'snow mode' on my IS does not work one bit, it's traction control off and go for it).  Anyone else do the same that can share there experience?

Thanks,

Darren.

Same ^^^

Probably xx% of the time you'd be fine but that one time you need grip to all 4 tyres your 50+ grand car is just going to let go. And I'm not just talking about sending power to whichever wheel, I'm talking about the back end possibly just losing it on a corner for example. You don't drive everywhere in a straight line.

• Like 1

Agree completely.  However I'd much rather have 2 tyres (which do most of the work) helping me up / down a hill designed for the conditions than none, so its finding the right balance safety Vs hassle and cost.  

I must admit I'm torn think I'm just trying to convince myself to save some money!!!  The roads she uses from home for the school run are all on the tops, very narrow and steep.

• Like 1

I just wouldn't.

Some say the two best tyres need to be on the back, not on the front etc...

But to never mix All Season/Winter, with Summer tyres.

And if you had to make an insurance claim and it was found with mixed tyres... who knows?

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:39 PM, welland said:

8 hours ago, darrude said:

Agree completely.  However I'd much rather have 2 tyres (which do most of the work) helping me up / down a hill designed for the conditions than none, so its finding the right balance safety Vs hassle and cost.  

I must admit I'm torn think I'm just trying to convince myself to save some money!!!  The roads she uses from home for the school run are all on the tops, very narrow and steep.

I've just bought 4 crossclimates for my RX450h. They are absolutely superb and buying now you get a£100 back from Michelin on a prepaid visa card. I Paid £700 so effectively the 4 will have cost me £600. They are extremely quiet and have transformed the ride of the car. Beauty is that you run on them all year. When you are running such a big expensive car it is false economy to skimp on tyres that will help protect your family in bad weai. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I've just bought 4 crossclimates for my RX450h. They are absolutely superb and buying now you get a£100 back from Michelin on a prepaid visa card. I Paid £700 so effectively the 4 will have cost me £600. They are extremely quiet and have transformed the ride of the car. Beauty is that you run on them all year. When you are running such a big expensive car it is false economy to skimp on tyres that will help protect your family in bad weai. 

That's interesting, I think I'd go for that, do you have any details on the cash back, can't find anything online.

I have mentioned this before in other posts: the best deal I got on 4 x cross climates was from my local Lexus dealer, who also fitted them for free... so an avenue worth exploring.

On an AWD vehicle, all four tyres should be the same. I can't see the point of buying an expensive car like a RX450h and then skimp on tyres, when they are the only point of contact between you and the road.

Go for the Cross Climates: you won't regret it. They are brilliant!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:38 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Thanks for all the feedback. While I'm still not convinced by the argument of not mixing tyres on this type of car in this country, I have found a place that is offering a really good deal on 4 cross climates with the £100 pre paid credit card so going to go for that.   Just waiting for pay day....

1 hour ago, darrude said:

Thanks for all the feedback. While I'm still not convinced by the argument of not mixing tyres on this type of car in this country, I have found a place that is offering a really good deal on 4 cross climates with the £100 pre paid credit card so going to go for that.   Just waiting for pay day....

You may find this article from the British Tyre Manufacturers' Association interesting.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links